Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Associate
OP
How you all finding the monitor? I've gone an ordered another one as can't wait for the 57" and will just have to deal with lack of KVM for now...

Can't go back to any other display I have in my possession now, I can see the whole screen from my seating distance to the monitor. I move my eyes more than my neck unless I'm focusing on a particular side of the screen and have had no neck pain etc regardless. If anything it's probably better for my eye muscles actually changing the focal point all the time on the screen.

Text is easy to read (if you ever run into scaling issues) there's a fix for that.

And once calibrated, looks good across every situation I've encountered so far.

The monitor is also so good with blacks I could tell the awful compression Amazon Prime uses (forcing me to watch Jack Ryan on PLEX) to get the highest bitrate possible :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Might have been a dud? I've had no issues running different resolutions.
but understandable if it's causing lots of headaches!

Definitely not a perfect monitor for every usecase.

Associate
OP
Had no problems yesterday and played RDR2 it tends to happen with. Bit of a strange one this. I'll test a bit further today. Maybes it was a one off? Although it happened when I was using display port the first time I changed to HDMI and was fine. Then installed latest drivers as it occurred. But nothing yesterday.

I had it with gsync on and vrr on, especially when switching to security settings etc on windows 11 it'd literally do it every other second at some points. But with it off no issue at all.

So It's one of those situations where you turn it on or off based on your specific usage I guess, for gaming it was never an issue, just with some desktop tasks only I'll get the black screen pop in and out at random.

Probably needs a firmware update to address this, once they know lots of people are suffering from this issue.

Associate
OP
Oops didn’t see this thread.

Just ordered the G9 OLED which is coming tomorrow, excited to see how big the thing is in person.

I was originally on an ultrawide IPS. I moved over to OLED 4K. I have missed the immersion of ultrawide but couldn’t give up the image quality of OLED so I’ve decided to give one of these a go.
make sure to get it well calibrated, or you'll be wondering why the **** this thing costs so much
Quick question to you guys with the g9 oled, in NvidiaCP, with no scaling option set, can you use 2560x1440, with borders either side, and also with 3440x1440, also with borders, does it work? or are there issues, trying to seting up, would apreciate is some can check this to see if it works properly!!

I've not had 2560x1440 available in any games, perhaps the resolution could be forced, but not tried myself, 16:9 works flawlessly at 1080p changing in game with black bars either side and 3440x1440 21:9 is available in COD and Apex Legends I believe, but never utilised either.

** correction for above, looks like when I switch to 16:9 it is 2560x1440.

Because I've been using a 2nd device a lot of the time that runs in 1080p via the monitor, it basically works the same just at a different resolution, depending on which solution I use at the time :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Anyone any ideas... Why would it do it using a display port cable on 240hz and not an HDMI at 60hz?

I turned off VRR (VRR Control under Picture > Expert Settings > VRR Control to fix this issue for myself (I got lots of flickering within windows with it on) but no issues elsewhere.

Could try that? otherwise not too sure. Maybe someone else has a similar issue.

I'm running via normal hdmi 2.1 at 240hz though.

Having said that (I'm on my 2nd display after returning the 1st one) and the 1st monitor would have random flickering for me on youtube etc at random so could be a monitor issue if you don't find a solution changing settings or cables...

Associate
OP
Does it with VRR on and off.... Last thing I am going to try is instal my new graphics card tomorrow and hook up via HDMI 2.1 (which I have not done yet and try and confirm if it was defo just a display port issue. I still really do not understand this whole "Game Mode" on/off.... When I turn it "off" I cannot display my PC??? and why is it called "Game mode" in one screen and "Adaptive sync" in another lol.... I am nit an expert but its a bit over complicated no?
P.s. @Personality+ Can you email me those custom settings please [email protected]. thanks
email sent

Associate
OP
I have to ask from fellow OLED G9 owners. Does your displays bottom chin around the center get notably warm to touch after some hours of use?

Most of the panel feels neutral - but especially the parts circled up in this image (imgur) gets warm enough, that it makes me a bit worried wether it's normal and expected...

I never touch the panel, having said that I go some days with the monitor getting 2-3 hours of use a day and then 12+ on the weekends, so nothing I've had to concern myself with yet.

Associate
OP
i enabled VRR in the monitor and g-sync - if anyone has the profile can they send to oxna and myself please - [email protected] and [email protected]
Sent you both an email just now, I personally turned off VRR, as it was giving me issues in a few games, and on the desktop, and I have no issues running games uncapped without it even if they hover around 100-200 fps, I don't notice any stuttering in 99% of games I'm playing. (If I did however) I'd definitely try turning it on, as I'm sure it can change game by game.

I may have needed it actually turned on in Alan Wake 2 for example as I did notice a lack of smoothness there without realising it could have been the lack of VRR.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks so much personality!

Ive gone through all the steps, i had seen on reddit the settings so i was already using these - still feels a bit washed out. Ive ordered a usb c memory stick so i can update the firmware, im currently on 1023 and i see on the samsung website theres a 1305.5 that was released on the 10th november so im hoping that will fix it otherwise ill be sending it back.

You might need to follow one of the settings I shared on the 1st post, about scaling or something similar

• If you have any jagged or pixelated text, do the below to try and fix the issue
Make sure you have GeForce Experience first and update drivers.Go to Windows Display Setting>Nvidia Control panel>Adjust Desktop Size>Scaling Tab>Scaling Mode:
select "No Scaling" or "Full-Screen" (I selected No Scaling). Perform Scaling on: select "GPU", select "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs">Size Tab: Resize the desktop...
: select "Enable desktop resizing", select "Do not report"It is only after this that my computer display/graphics were back to normal and I was able to open applications without fear that my text would go jagged/pixilated.

So if anyone here experiences the jagged/pixelated text, it may have automatically turned some of this stuff on. This should save you thinking you've got a faulty monitor.

Associate
OP
For anyone wanting to use DLDSR with this monitor, you've got to switch to 16:9 for the option to appear in the control panel :) (Using a 4090) so maybe different story for others? then enjoy it at 2560x1440,

Make sure you've already got your settings and calibrations set up for 32:9 and 16:9 then the switching is flawless maintaining all your settings :)

Just wanted to try it out in certain games and see if I felt any performance boost. As the option isn't there when running at 5120x1440

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Got my monitor exactly 6 months ago, I'm very happy with it. Looks like the firmware updates, fixed issues I was having with VRR (and make sure you're using certified cables at all times)

but seems Samsungs QC for this monitor has been poor overall based on general sentiment I've seen on here/reddit/discord.

I'll be keeping mine until a 240hz 4K / 480hz 1080p monitor drops, mainly due to the fact I'm gaming a lot at the 16:9 aspect ratio and at 1080p especially for Warzone in MW3 :) to get the guaranteed 240hz experience

on the counter to that there's a ton of racing games that are super immersive with this and the likes of CP2077+EAFC etc and won't feel the same if I make the switch. So maybe I'll end up having to own both so I'm covered for all scenarios.

I've not noticed any sign of burn in (if anyone has any tests I could try to spot, please let me know) I've used the monitor pretty much every day for 6-8 hours a day when you average it out over the 6 month time span of ownership.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom