Samsung Odyssey+

Associate
I have lots on PSVR still to play through and quite a few games with VR modes already on PC, so not going to splash out too much on anything new. ..

Other race sims(!), DCS, Elite Dangerous, Euro Truck Simulator, IL-2 Sturmovik,

I've also downloaded a few free things in readiness...

The Lab, Waltz of the Wizard, Google Earth VR

Might get some stuff in the Christmas sales...

Superhot, Beat Saber, Golf Club VR, Moss (and compare to PSVR), Alien Isolation

Associate
OP
really great to hear someone is getting one of these to try. Im hearing lots of good feedback from other reviews now also. that 300 dollar black friday deal... those lucky americans!

Asa

Asa

Associate
And it's here :)

I won't get a chance to use it until this evening, but got it out the box and stroked it a bit. I can say from really brief testing that the headset is comfortable (but definitely where it as a crown, don't try to wrap it round the back of the head like you would a Rift). No light leak to speak of, no immediately obvious weight or pressure problems.

The controllers are nowhere near as nice to hold as the Oculus Touch though. Touch is like slipping on a glove, the WMR controller almost feels like it wants to escape my hand. It'll do the job, but I hope some better controllers release at some stage.

Soldato
I'd be interested in how this headset is for sims. I love my Rift for touch-based games but I really would like less SDE and clearer text for sim racing and flight/space sims.

Asa

Asa

Associate
And it's here :)

I won't get a chance to use it until this evening, but got it out the box and stroked it a bit. I can say from really brief testing that the headset is comfortable (but definitely where it as a crown, don't try to wrap it round the back of the head like you would a Rift). No light leak to speak of, no immediately obvious weight or pressure problems.

The controllers are nowhere near as nice to hold as the Oculus Touch though. Touch is like slipping on a glove, the WMR controller almost feels like it wants to escape my hand. It'll do the job, but I hope some better controllers release at some stage.
Some very early impressions:

Wearing it as a crown is terrible advice. It works, but it's real niggly keeping the sweetspot without the weight laying heavy on the bridge of the nose, and the earphones don't reach well. Open it up a bit and wear it like a hat. Seems comfortable, but I'll update after wearing it for a number of hours.

Setup was smooth and simple, and the USB/HDMI extensions I used with the Rift work fine. One big issue did present itself; The first time I loaded into the WMR home I had some awful fisheye warping that was so bad I thought I might actually have to send the headset back if it wasn't defeatable. I took the headset off, changed the display quality to "Very high (beta)" within the Mixed Reality app, and when I put the headset back on everything was OK.

The display is obviously the big reason to get the Odyssey+, and the good news is taht the screendoor is very slight and I'd call the anti-SDE tech a resounding success. SDE is still perceivable on some flat colours, but it is certainly a big step up from the Rift. The biggest problem I had with the Rift display was actually god rays, and those are also improved on the Odyssey. You do get a big of glare on the lenses, but it's nothing like the exagerated bloom I had on my Rift so I'm pretty happy there too.

I'll get some Project Cars 2, Skyrim, and Pavlov in this evening and then let y'all know how those hold up. I think I'm going to be very happy, so long as the performance holds up. Besides the res increase Oculus' software is very good, so it'll be an interesting test.

Associate
Great news Asa, thanks for your views so far and look forward to seeing more, especially any racing games ;)

Wish I'd just paid for faster shipping now!!!

Asa

Asa

Associate
Great news Asa, thanks for your views so far and look forward to seeing more, especially any racing games ;)

Wish I'd just paid for faster shipping now!!!

Got yours? :)

I've had less time playing than I'd like, mostly due to technical issues that don't actually have anything to do with the headset. My wheel stopped working to hinder Project Cars 2, and on Skyrim my surround sound was reversed. On Pavlov the Vive-based controls are just a bit "wtf?"

None-the-less, they all look amazing now. PC2 in particular took a lot of tweaking (sharpness in the ini file is essential), but I'm really happy with the headset.

Any particular questions just let me know :)

Associate
Mine arrived today. After getting home, getting all 4 kids in bed, dinner and other chores I ended up with just enough time to set it all up before the wife went out to meet a friend. So had to leave it in the man cave and come into house to keep an ear out for the kids! Hopefully she won't be back too late and I'll get a chance to have a go in Assetto Corsa before I'm too knackered... I'm thinking I may have to get a replacement cover and lens inserts as it didn't feel too comfortable against my forehead and not enough room for glasses. Will try to fiddle with positioning and tightness, etc. before paying out more cash though!

Asa

Asa

Associate
Mine arrived today. After getting home, getting all 4 kids in bed, dinner and other chores I ended up with just enough time to set it all up before the wife went out to meet a friend. So had to leave it in the man cave and come into house to keep an ear out for the kids! Hopefully she won't be back too late and I'll get a chance to have a go in Assetto Corsa before I'm too knackered... I'm thinking I may have to get a replacement cover and lens inserts as it didn't feel too comfortable against my forehead and not enough room for glasses. Will try to fiddle with positioning and tightness, etc. before paying out more cash though!
It's definitely pretty fussy on position. Make your adjustments from the back. Pulling the back higher or lower makes all the difference.

Associate
Stayed up far too late past couple of nights playing with my new toy! Mainly concentrating with tweaking settings to try and get best compromise between image quality and smooth frame rate.

Despite that, I'm really impressed and have managed to find a comfortable fit :cool:

Associate
I got mine yesterday and ran an hour or Assetto Corsa last night. There's no need to compare to my rift because it's just leagues better in terms of visual quality.

I will say the fit and audio will take getting used to. If you angle the headset too much the speakers won't reach your ears and if you make the speakers ideal, then the fitment of the headset isn't ideal. I'm sure I'll find a compromise but there will likely be an aftermarket edit to make this process better. The visual quality of the unit is amazing though.

Associate
If you have any settings to recommend Rob, please do! I have a gtx 1080. Amazed with the difference simply by turning off all HUDs.

Soldato
Mine arrived yesterday (from B&H), I am already going to add some foam spacer to my old odyssey since my WidmoVR prescription lens adapters jut out just enough to catch my nose however I will use some of the kids dense foam, cut to the same shape as the padding, and use velcro on both sides to sandwich it between the existing padded part and the body to give a little more room.. Be interesting to see how the + fits, I've heard it's hit and miss, but I am going to modify with these foam inserts anyway..

Associate
If you have any settings to recommend Rob, please do! I have a gtx 1080. Amazed with the difference simply by turning off all HUDs.

Saw this late. In stream VR turn off “advanced supersampling” or you will get a blurry image. Supersampling at 200% is the sweet spot for sim racers in keeping 90fps. This is a 9900k 2080ti setup.

I found windows ASW terrible and will be turning it off via the ini file.

Associate
Thanks Rob, no worries.

I've since found a decent settings compromise with 200% SS on my current setup. Won't be paying the prices they're asking for 2080ti or 9900k but will be keeping my eyes open in coming months for some decent / bang for buck upgrades... :D

Associate
The 9900k doesn’t do much for sim racers since they all rely on a couple of cores max but want clockspeed.

2080ti just allows you to pretty up the picture once you get the 90fps dialed in.

I’m surprised how good and well optimized iracing is for VR.

Back
Top Bottom