*****SANDYBRIDGE MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET ISSUE*****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I think the biggest question is that once the problem with the motherboards is fixed, how will old motherboards with the defect be identified to the new boards without?

I'm planning on buying such a system but I wont unless I'm guarranteed i buy a not defective chipset.

I mean pulling the motherboard out of my case and being without a PC for a week is not what I call "no problem"...

I too am surprised OCuk would rather wait it out and keep selling defective boards than stop all shipment of 6 series chipset boards.

Soldato
You will have a new stepping on your chipset I believe the A stepping (beta / alpha) was fine, they then updted to the B stepping - production (which has the bug) and so im thinking the new one will be C...

So in answer to your question something like CPU id will confirm it :)

Soldato
Ah right, ok fair enough. Hopefully you can appreciate a lot of people are probably feeling a bit anxious at the moment.

Understandable, we are waiting on official word from Intel and the 3rd party vendors (Asus, gogabyte) before taking action.

That's strange as you can still purchase a system built by them with the MB. So one hand says they have stopped the purchase of boards and the other hand keeps quiet and keeps selling their systems.

Exactly, not all sunshine and lollipops after all :p

it's a fair point that you're still actively promoting and shipping product that has been identified by intel as potentially defective and there's every chance there'll be some sort of recall/swapout so you're basically pouring petrol on that particular fire for the sake of your margin.

If you knew about the issues you'd be unlikely to buy now so the people buying are the ones who haven't heard and with you knowing full well there's a problem you probably shouldn't be selling to them.

Surely this is intels issue and if there's an impact to your business you should take it up with them and not pass it on to your customers?

I agree with your point totally. However it is no where near as malicious as you are making it out to be.

Other companies have acted on their own accord, fair enough, however we are waiting for an official staement from Intel regarding an action plan. So for now, it is totally up to potential buyers to decide what they want to do.

Soldato
Intel have said they've put 700million aside for the recall, to pretend or suggest a recall might not happen is rather silly, seeing as you know a recall IS coming its rather proactive to cease Sandybridge sales asap rather than later on. Not least because customers who by in the last day and the next few days before official announcements will be the most angry and the most let down.

OCUK/anyone else had no way of knowing before now, as of the first announcement, you do know, everything beyond that is not dodgey but not exactly sold in good faith either.
This is my concern as well. People who read forums will know about this (and hold off buying), those that don't will buy something that is known to be defective - or at least significant enough chance of being defective that Intel would put aside $700m for a recall and announce it - and find in 2-3 years time they've got a knackered motherboard for no apparent reason with the warranty long since expired.

Associate
"There are six PC line-ups released in Korea and one in the U.S., and we plan to fully refund or exchange the product in question," James Chung, Samsung's spokesman said.

Samsung, however, said there would be no financial impact on its business as total payment will be funded by Intel.

Soldato
This is similiar to the iphone 4 issue where all the phones apparently were going to have to be recalled - they were not in the end. There was an easy fix.
Don't think you can really wrap a motherboard in a rubber bumper tbh, or hold it with the other hand to make the problem go away.

Soldato
This is similiar to the iphone 4 issue where all the phones apparently were going to have to be recalled - they were not in the end. There was an easy fix.

Not quite true...

You were allowed to send back for a full refund or run with a bumper which was supplied for free and as you say "fixed" the fault.......

So there was a recall

May be the same here, an "option" to return..... I would think demand here will be higher as I cannot see peeps donning soldering irons and swapping out their bridge chips..

Associate
Business is all about money, how each business gains that money is their choice. If OC want to carry on selling that's their choice, I ordered on Sunday and my stuff turned up this morning but i will be requesting a return before i open anything. Id rather lose 10 quid for delivery than throw 300+ away on deffective components. Im quite within my right I believe so.

Soldato
I'm sorry but that is really cynical imo. :(

You (OCUK) know these motherboards have a defect, Intel clearly think it is significant enough to announce it and an as-yet-unspecified plan of action that involves $1b (what else could it be but a recall?) and the best you're prepared to do is add a bit of text to the product description, the same colour & size as the actual product description so its easily missed, or missed completely if someone just clicks the "Buy" button, telling people about the fault?

I'm sorry but that smacks of trying to sell as many of these things to unsuspecting customers and hope that in 3 years time when they find their hard drives don't work anymore they forget where they bought it from - if they even have a warranty then at all - or assume it's "wear and tear" or something.

That's not customer service. :(

Associate
"similiar" not the same issue. Why do people take everything to latterally. Just like the POTENTIAL problem with 6 series chipsets.

That's the net for you and the way people act today. Sad really that its come to that. Lets face it problems can be solved like this, its not like going to your GP and finding out you have days left.
Some should just sit back and make a cuppa before jumping around as if the worlds going to end and they are looking for the last blonde virgin.

Soldato
Of course it's all relative, that's hardly the point is it? Are you suggesting that people shouldn't be concerned about where they stand on this issue? Throwing strawmen around isn't helping anyone.

Associate
I got all the parts here to build my new comp apart from the mobo which i cancelled because of this issue, probably a bit prematurely but still.
If OCUK are going to keep selling these mobo's with a known defect can they at least put the price down? I am willing to take the risk with the Asus P8P67 board i wanted but i am not paying for a board that is at least £10 more expensive than on other sites and with this defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom