• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Associate
With 8gb ram, i5 750 at 3.6ghz and upgraded from sapphire 270x 2gb to sapphire 480 4gb

Firestrike: 5,547 > ~9,500
Time Spy: 1,673 > 3,534

Not even looking overclocking it yet, but I'm very happy with that performance increase :D

Fairly sure they're producing actual 4gb cards now that production is getting into full swing.

Did you download Firestrike through steam?

I'm expecting my 480 to arrive this week (Assuming OCUK get another delivery) and I wanted to do a before and after.

But it just will now download clicking on it to download through steam just will not register despite the countless restarts. Every other install works fine.

EDIT: Never mind i was being a moron.

Last edited:
Associate
They're all 8GBs, with 4GB disabled via BIOS, its all they could afford to do, thats why they've only been able to do the one box, and sticker it, they're broke :p

Can you point me to where this is stated. I had heard that the very early Founders version that went to reviewers were 8gb cards but i haven'tseen anywhere stating that the Sapphire Nitro's were all 8gb cards.

Caporegime
Can you point me to where this is stated. I had heard that the very early Founders version that went to reviewers were 8gb cards but i haven'tseen anywhere stating that the Sapphire Nitro's were all 8gb cards.

There's at least one card for sale in the MM which is a 4gb card flashed to 8gb. Believe it's an early ref cooler card.

Soldato

I don't think any of the aftermarket cards can flash. However, the first batch of 4GB reference models released at launch were restricted 8GB's. There are no more 4GB reference models left now and none will be made either.

Caporegime
I don't think any of the aftermarket cards can flash. However, the first batch of 4GB reference models released at launch were restricted 8GB's. There are no more 4GB reference models left now and none will be made either.

There was a Sapphire one for sale on mm that was flashed. I guess the only way to tell is to open it up when it arrives.

Associate
8JFWp3z.jpg

Nice little cards, not finding them very loud compared to the ones I'm replacing, mainly Windforces or MSI Forzr, its also shorter but wider which has been fine in the Prodigy or CM 120 in the pic, but they're just too wide to fit my eldest's SG07 so going to have to change his case - he'll be getting a CM 130 in a couple of days instead.

Associate
Ok so I've had a quick play at overclocking.

Currently running gpu at 1345Mhz and memory at 1950Mhz which has pushed my firestrike score to 9,801

edit: Found my original score online at stock 4gb nitro settings, 9,489 - not a bad improvement :)

Last edited:
Associate
Really? Havn't got 480 installed right not but I'm pretty sure GPU-Z worked fine I had to grab the very latest one but, yeah. On Nitro 4gb.

Sorry, you are absolutely right. I've just updated and GPU-Z 1.10.0 works fine... [at this point, 5 seconds after opening it, I got a black screen -- so maybe jury is still out for me].

All the usual suspects -- temp, load, fan speed, mem usage, etc -- looked to be in there.

Associate
There's at least one card for sale in the MM which is a 4gb card flashed to 8gb. Believe it's an early ref cooler card.

As i thought then, the 4gb Sapphire Nitro GPU's were never equiped with 8gb and then disabled in bios.

Associate
Sadly I got no sleep last night, so I'm not about to start disassembling my old PC until tomorrow. Got to move it to a new case, and that means taking the CPU cooler off as well.

Well I hope you enjoyed that brutal tennis match and Bolt's immaculate display at least. :)

I installed my card today, and it might be worth noting that the power connector goes into the end of the card, meaning that it is effectively an extra inch or so long, which might be a big deal for some (just squeaks into my case).

Soldato
There was a Sapphire one for sale on mm that was flashed. I guess the only way to tell is to open it up when it arrives.

A Sapphire reference card from the launch batch.

I bought an early 4GB 480 reference of Sapphire brand myself which is why I have a full 8GB 480 card now as the only thing making it a 4GB card was a restricted BIOS.

I believe they were rushed and needed something to hit their promised price target so they faked some 4GB 480s and pushed them out as loss leaders and proof they were honoring their launch price promise.

Now is quite a bit later so everyone has had a chance to rework the card, pimp it up, increase the price and do a proper 4GB card instead of wastefully using 8GB cards.

Associate
All installed and running :) Coming from a 7870 it's blowing my mind! haha
Popped into a few games and runs everything on max (1080p) without trying. Haven't run any tests or anything yet but don't think I'll bother. Happy camper here :p

Associate
A Sapphire reference card from the launch batch.

I bought an early 4GB 480 reference of Sapphire brand myself which is why I have a full 8GB 480 card now as the only thing making it a 4GB card was a restricted BIOS.

I believe they were rushed and needed something to hit their promised price target so they faked some 4GB 480s and pushed them out as loss leaders and proof they were honoring their launch price promise.

Now is quite a bit later so everyone has had a chance to rework the card, pimp it up, increase the price and do a proper 4GB card instead of wastefully using 8GB cards.

That's right. All the cards being produced now come with the amount of RAM written on the box. One of the review sites opened up a 4GB and 8GB nitro. The 4GB contained 4GB of Hynix memory, the 8GB one had 8GB of slightly faster Samsung memory.

Soldato
That's right. All the cards being produced now come with the amount of RAM written on the box. One of the review sites opened up a 4GB and 8GB nitro. The 4GB contained 4GB of Hynix memory, the 8GB one had 8GB of slightly faster Samsung memory.

I checked my 4GB card over the weekend and I too noticed the Hynix Memory, there is a tool from ASUS (can't find the link right now) which tells you without having to remove the cooler and my box too was a 8GB box with a sticker over it.

Back
Top Bottom