• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Mines settling in nicely, haven't touched much other than No Mans Sky since I got it though. Tried to run some other games for reference sake tonight and was met with crashes by the time I reached menu screens, Witcher 3, MGSV, and Dark Souls 3. Noticed an odd loading like symbol in the top left of my screen in each game when they were crashing. Force closed Gaming Evolved and they run like a dream. Think Ill be uninstalling that. Not that I wanted it in the first place

OMG!!! finally received my RX 480 nitro+ OC 8gb. this is my scores on firestrike before and after...
cpu - i5 760 @ 4ghz
ram - 8gb of patriot... not even sure if its good ram.
driver - 16.7.3

before - i was able to run it once with my 2 X HD 5770 and got a score about 2000, and was not able to run it anymore. it would crash and get stuck on loading screen. i can run SKYDIVER no problem.
after - i ran firestrike with no problem and i got a score of 13482, physics score - 6864
just plug and play, i have not done any tinkering and dont plan to unless i need to in the future. so far so good. time to play some games!!!

i can finally run overwatch and BF4 in epic or ultra!!! lol was always running at medium or low... :(

Very happy first time poster here. Received my Sapphire RX 480 Nitro OC yesterday to replace my 770 4GB and I have to say I'm very impressed. Card looks beautiful and performs remarkably well. Much quieter than my MSI 770 and the idle fan feature is a really nice addition.

Did a few tweaks in Wattman and managed to get a nice increase of 1380 MHz on the core and 2200 MHz on the memory. No throttling during Firestrike (max temp 70C), both core and mem stay at 1380 / 2200 respectively. I haven't tried going any higher as of yet.

Firestrike Score:

Wattman settings:

My i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz has served me well for the last 4 years but I think the time has come where I need to start thinking about a replacement. Maybe I'll hold out till Zen is released and see how that performs.

ps. Thanks for the haribo Overclockers :)

Last edited:
:eek:
Could this be whats crashing my pc?

Others are saying lower is better with AMD cards now I'm really :confused:

Try removing drivers completely with DDU in safe mode then install the latest crimson driver. To monitor what your card is doing install MSI afterburner and enable the onscreen display for various stuff like fps, temperature, voltage, etc.

The ASIC won't make any difference at stock. The card would auto adjust to the voltage it needs. The drivers could be messed up or traces of old drivers are still there.

Some more info on ASIC quality:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4rzo88/the_stilt_explains_asic_quality_on_amd_cards/

According to the STILT (Finnish overclocker) lower ASIC is preferable for air coolers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4tbkv0/does_asic_quality_matters_for_the_480_overclock/

Last edited:
My i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz has served me well for the last 4 years but I think the time has come where I need to start thinking about a replacement. Maybe I'll hold out till Zen is released and see how that performs.

Running my 2500k at stock (it's never been oc'd!!!). I can't think of anything it's really struggled with.

Myself I'm definitely waiting for Zen.

Skylake being so expensive compared to previous gens has made that decision easy.

Great.. OC+ 8GB has now went out of stock. I had to RMA my card on Tuesday so god knows when i'll get a replacement now...

I just had to RMA my OC+ 8GB too, I feel your pain. I've chosen a refund though and put in an order for a Powercolor Devil, if OC+ comes in stock first, I'll just switch that one!

Running my 2500k at stock (it's never been oc'd!!!). I can't think of anything it's really struggled with.

Skylake being so expensive compared to previous gens has made that decision easy.

You've never OC'd your 2500k... blasphemy :p

Yeah, Intel are so expensive. I do quite a lot of photography / video work so I'm looking for something a bit more powerful to help on that front. Fingers crossed that Zen delivers.

This was one of the reasons I paid the extra to get the XFX GTR when it came into stock, instead of waiting longer for a Nitro. I'd seen strip-downs of both models and the XFX has copper block and heat pipes, but I think the Nitro only has a copper slug, everything else is aluminium. FWIW I'm getting about 10c lower temps at load and idle than benchmarks are showing for the Nitro.

You still happy with the temps on XFX? I noticed on XFX UK website it states a 2 year warranty but on OCUK lists a 3 years warranty. This may be a mistake as on other retailers listings it mentions 24 months warranty.

The 6700k was actually cheaper than the 4790k was before Brexit. It was only the first few months that Skylake was being price gauged by retailers.

A Haswell, Skylake or Kabylake will give you massively higher minimum FPS than a 2500k at stock.

Back
Top Bottom