• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Associate
Thanks,

It eases my mind that I'm not the the only one getting this from the card. I guess I'll try and long it out for now and see if it goes away. Just annoying when playing the AAA games with high settings. :D

Test it out for a few days, but i would definitely consider a return if it doesn't go away. No one should have to put up with a whiny card

Associate
Hello fellow RX 480'S. I recently got my Nitro+ OC 8GB card this Tuesday. I'm absolutely overjoyed with the performance. I however have run into what seems to be a problem where when I play games like The Witcher 3 and Deus Ex on high settings there seems to be a pitched noise coming from the card. Is there a way of getting rid of this? Or could there be a issue with the card? Grateful for any help/advice. I did post earlier, but I received only one reply.

Thanks

Whats your PSU? Mine had a loud terrible coil whine on the PC with an old PSU (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w) about 6 years old now. I moved it to the other pc downstairs with a superflower goldengreen 650w the coil whine significantly reduced. There is still coil whine but its not audible with case fans running.

Associate
Whats your PSU? Mine had a loud terrible coil whine on the PC with an old PSU (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w) about 6 years old now. I moved it to the other pc downstairs with a superflower goldengreen 650w the coil whine significantly reduced. There is still coil whine but its not audible with case fans running.

Hi The PSU I have is a Corsair HX 750i.

I just tested the card out on my brother's computer (PSU: Corsair HX 650) and the whine was significantly less. It's seems the PSU is the issue! Strange as I only just got the PSU a week or so ago!

Associate
Well, undervolting is very effective...

Was running 1342MHz at 11150mV. This resulted in 80+°C temps with fan speeds over 2000RPM

Now trying out 1342 at 1100mV with 77°C temps at 1721RPM. Sooo much quieter!

Associate
Interesting. Clock rate was stable as a rock for me at 1400Mhz.

Not sure it needs +100mV for 1370Mhz, default is 1362Mhz on my card with default voltages.

I don't need any volts for 1370. I was just testing it to see if it was the overvolting that caused the issue, which it was.

For whatever reason, if I overvolt past 50, I can't reach a stable OC on the GPU speed.

So my 1370 score goes down when overvolting! Which is a pity :(

DHR

DHR

Soldato
So, I'm not a huge fan of noise but I've got to say I genuinely don't think these units are that noisy? Don't get me wrong I'm still deaf from running deltec CPU fans from years ago but when you have headphones on or your speakers cranked up to a moderate level it's very early audible!

Soldato
:/ My card is broken... Got artefacts.... First bunch seams to be very bad... will be asking for replacement soon.

http://imgur.com/FXUqppD

http://imgur.com/K4ga8A1

Have you tried a different game, are you sure it is not just the one you are playing?

You say "First Bunch" is "very bad" how many cards did you buy? :o

I have a 4GB version and have had no issues with it.

Associate
Well my first graphics upgrade since 2010..

Goodbye ATI 5830 1GB, you've served me well.

Just checking with you guys if there's a bios/firmware update to do for the 4GB card or it it's just install new drivers and go?

Also can someone elaborate on the 2 bios modes, what's the difference?

Associate
I have a 480 Nitro + OC 8Gb and I get gpu memory errors in HWINFO64, even at stock speeds. There is only one error every 2 hours or so, during ethereum mining. Temps are kept in check, 1266 [email protected] V, at 65 C, VRM at 70 C. This is the second 480 Nitro I got with memory errors, the first was worse, some 100 errors a day, also at stock speeds. No artifacts, crashes or compute processing errors whatsoever. Is this normal with these cards? Is it due to tight timings in a very fast (8 GT/s) gddr5 bus, or is this out of the ordinary? Sorry, English is not my native language. Cheers!

Associate
well i got one off first 100 cards from test run that was shipped. And some ppl already posted here some bad stuff about them.

My first was from first batch. Had coil whine and high temps . Second card nearly 10c cooler. Silent and fans barely spin.

Associate

Just checking with you guys if there's a bios/firmware update to do for the 4GB card or it it's just install new drivers and go?

Just install the drivers and go.

The 2 bios modes switch between normal mode and quiet mode (which has slightly lower performance with the benefit of a less aggressive fan curve)

Soldato

Blimey, hang on to your hat!

:)

Soldato
:/ My card is broken... Got artefacts.... First bunch seams to be very bad... will be asking for replacement soon.

http://imgur.com/FXUqppD

http://imgur.com/K4ga8A1

I've seen those types of artifacting before and I got them when I overclocked a card and didn't give it enough juice.

Are you/have you ever, overclocked/undervolted? Have you checked the voltage rails on the PSU?

Associate
I seem to get stutter with videos when I use duplicate screen,is it a driver fault ? (I use the latest one)
Its really strange because I have no problems with extend screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom