• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Caporegime
That might be the dumbest possible explanation or actual design of a card yet. He bangs on about how they put holes in the PCB to let air be pushed through the heatsink and straight out to pcb, in a straight line in effect, to reduce the pressure.

Now the major problem with that is one there won't be large holes so it would be nearly pointless anyway as the majority of the air will be turbulent and being pushed sideways anyway. Second, and the biggest problem, they stuck a giant backplate onto the back of the pcb. So if there are holes in the PCB, they are all but covered on the back, what great design. Then if they are worried about reducing air pressure and giving it somewhere to escape, why have they covered up the entire length of the card on one edge with shrouding with one tiny hole in it. That will do nothing but slow down the airflow.

It doesn't look like a particularly bad card, but why make a more complex pcb that has holes put in it, it costs more money, and they serve basically no purpose even if you didn't cover them up on the other side... but you did.

The backplate has got vents in it, so it's not entirely daft.

Caporegime
That might be the dumbest possible explanation or actual design of a card yet. He bangs on about how they put holes in the PCB to let air be pushed through the heatsink and straight out to pcb, in a straight line in effect, to reduce the pressure.

Now the major problem with that is one there won't be large holes so it would be nearly pointless anyway as the majority of the air will be turbulent and being pushed sideways anyway. Second, and the biggest problem, they stuck a giant backplate onto the back of the pcb. So if there are holes in the PCB, they are all but covered on the back, what great design. Then if they are worried about reducing air pressure and giving it somewhere to escape, why have they covered up the entire length of the card on one edge with shrouding with one tiny hole in it. That will do nothing but slow down the airflow.

It doesn't look like a particularly bad card, but why make a more complex pcb that has holes put in it, it costs more money, and they serve basically no purpose even if you didn't cover them up on the other side... but you did.

Sapphire Ed also talks about 80% of RMA's are because of noisy deteriorated fans, so they come up with this removable fan design, what they will do is send you new fans if they go bad, Sapphire TRixx will have a feature that will test the fans against what they should be performing at so you will know if the fans are bad.

Oh, and the PCB is custom.

I'm liking this :)

Soldato
Sapphire Ed also talks about 80% of RMA's are because of noisy deteriorated fans, so they come up with this removable fan design, what they will do is send you new fans if they go bad, Sapphire TRixx will have a feature that will test the fans against what they should be performing at so you will know if the fans are bad.

Oh, and the PCB is custom.

I'm liking this :)

Yes sounds really well thought out and win win. I'm really interested to see what these AIB 480s can do. Think this will tide me over until Vega as I only game at 60Hz at 1440p.

Soldato
Its strange isnt it, when the leaked silver version came up people were like omg that is the worst looking card ever its like a old radio or somit. Then they just colored it black and now its like omg its the best looking card. lmao people crack me up.

Nice about the fans tho. I wonder if they allow for better performing fans to be swapped in if people wana pay for them or are they only gona do like for like. I mean if they sold higher spec fans would ppl buy em and put em in i wonder.

I still have my doubts about any aib card reaching past 1400 well erm some will but anything er past 1450 i have my doubts about.

Soldato
**** temps, when a card looks this good all can be forgiven, the best looking card I have ever seen from side on IMO. Why don't sapphire do Nvidia cards? that would be epic.

Sapphire seem to be AMD's EVGA. I was a bit sad EVGA didn't do AMD cards but looking at this Nitro I'm really warming to Sapphire. Nice not to have all the gaudy colours some cards do, the Blackpool Editions as I like to call them:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Will this finally kill the black n red hegemony? :D

Its strange isnt it, when the leaked silver version came up people were like omg that is the worst looking card ever its like a old radio or somit. Then they just colored it black and now its like omg its the best looking card. lmao people crack me up.

Uhh they never showed the back before. People only really care about the back unless they have a non-standard chassis designed to showcase the front instead.

Last edited:
Soldato

Nice about the fans tho. I wonder if they allow for better performing fans to be swapped in if people wana pay for them or are they only gona do like for like. I mean if they sold higher spec fans would ppl buy em and put em in i wonder.

I still have my doubts about any aib card reaching past 1400 well erm some will but anything er past 1450 i have my doubts about.

Colour is very important to looks, a car can look nice in red but awful in hot pink.

Caporegime

I was one of them.

The silvery white with those dots did make it looks like a shower head but in matt black it looks completely different, its a good looking card as it is now.

Associate
I suppose the question will be...
Can they hit 1400/2200.

Hopefully the new PCB, better cooling and 8 pin will make it whizz along.

Soldato
For Sapphire to be AMD's EVGA they would have to have good RMA process & decent warranty. They are AMD-exclusive, sure, but so is PowerColor, so why aren't the latter AMD's EVGA? Again, same reasons. They both make good cards, don't get me wrong, but that's not why EVGA is EVGA..

Soldato
Low fan noise is probably my highest priority these days, they have the 3 DP ports I need, The DVI isn't something I need, nice to have I suppose but would have been happier with better venting personally.

Overclocking on this card will be interesting to look at. I don't really bother for 24/7, but I like a play now and again. I can maybe just not bother with that at all but I can afford to wait until all the other AIB arrive.

I am driving 144hz 1440p Eyefinity (in some instances) so Vega crossfire may be better for me but I'm kinda tempted to get 2 of these. It looks like a really nice card. I'm higher than 4k though, 4K@ 8,294,400 pixels vs 1440p Eyefinity@ 11,059,200 pixels but I don't plan to use it in many games, ha!

Soldato
For Sapphire to be AMD's EVGA they would have to have good RMA process & decent warranty. They are AMD-exclusive, sure, but so is PowerColor, so why aren't the latter AMD's EVGA? Again, same reasons. They both make good cards, don't get me wrong, but that's not why EVGA is EVGA..
They seem to have improved their warranty starting with this card. All their previous cards only had a two year warranty, whilst this has three. PowerColor make okay cards, but they're some way off Sapphire's overall quality IMO. I'd even put them behind XFX, another AMD-exclusive partner.

Associate
Power colour are alright but as above quality is just not as good as sapphire last few cards. Sapphire were always decent but in the last few years they've really taken another step up.

Anyway decide to put an order in. Can always cancel if the 1060 is good.

Back
Top Bottom