• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Associate
The custom cooled cards will allow better overclocking due to the cooler temps and plenty of available power. This should give us a true picture of what the maximum performance is for the Polaris.

You mean like how the custom-cooled Fury cards were? :rolleyes:

Associate
Yes looking around end of July / August time for AIB 4GB's. :)

awesome sauce!! that will make it an ideal pre-early, early early, birthday pressie to self.

ok, i might be stretching the plausibility of that excuse, a wee bit, when my annual tick isn't until February.. buut, already used up 'early xmas' when i grabbed a bargain TV end of last month.. so this will have to do ;)

Soldato
It has been behaving more like my nano which with an unlocked bios and a water block performs just like an overclocked fury-x.

Soldato
Reviews where people have strapped larger coolers or watercooling on reference cards haven't got much higher overclocks. I wouldn't rush to preorder until I saw some reviews.

Yup but this will not be a reference card. The reference 480's are power bottlenecked and an 8pin could in theory put up the performance somewhat. They also throttle under high temps which explains the marked improvement in performance when undervolting them.

The Fury's on the other hand have enough power supplied to them to run the best they can and will not overclock any better with cooler temps when they have great coolers anyway. My card can run under 50c if I turn the fan speed up but it doesn't do much for it's overclocking potential. The Nano, however, as stated above is a card that benefits from better cooling.

I think there will be a bit of an improvement with the new 480's but how much remains to be seen. 5% at a push maybe.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to Nitro reviews! This or the PCS+ are likely to be my card!
If hitting 1450+ this will be a decent boost over my 290.

Can't you overclock the 290 up to 290x/390 levels? If the extra juice provides some overclocking for the 480 then they may indeed get to 980 performance. It would need 10% over stock for that and even then it's not a great deal past an overclocked 290.

Soldato
Sapphire Edd has already stated this cards on a redesigned PCB to sort out power delivery, on top of that the thermals will be better, and on top of that a factory OC.

If these clock anything like my 290 does they should be decent,

Soldato
Can't you overclock the 290 up to 290x/390 levels? If the extra juice provides some overclocking for the 480 then they may indeed get to 980 performance. It would need 10% over stock for that and even then it's not a great deal past an overclocked 290.
Mine would go to 1115 which put it a little past stock 290x but not a heavily clocked one. If some of the gpu scores coming for a 480 overclocked are true then i might be able to get about an extra 10-20% which will be way better than the 750ti im using temporarily.
Plus extra memory, fresh warranty, new tech and should run cooler and quieter.

Caporegime

Might help someone at around the 10min mark

That might be the dumbest possible explanation or actual design of a card yet. He bangs on about how they put holes in the PCB to let air be pushed through the heatsink and straight out to pcb, in a straight line in effect, to reduce the pressure.

Now the major problem with that is one there won't be large holes so it would be nearly pointless anyway as the majority of the air will be turbulent and being pushed sideways anyway. Second, and the biggest problem, they stuck a giant backplate onto the back of the pcb. So if there are holes in the PCB, they are all but covered on the back, what great design. Then if they are worried about reducing air pressure and giving it somewhere to escape, why have they covered up the entire length of the card on one edge with shrouding with one tiny hole in it. That will do nothing but slow down the airflow.

It doesn't look like a particularly bad card, but why make a more complex pcb that has holes put in it, it costs more money, and they serve basically no purpose even if you didn't cover them up on the other side... but you did.

Permabanned
I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs, Sapphire usually make the best gpu cards so these should answer all our questions about the cards potential, I'm not keen on the backplates colouring though, The front edge looks nice and clean now the 8 pin connector has been moved to the side and doing it like that is a lot better than that odd clip-on connector EVGA offer for there 1080/70 cards (what were they thinking?), I hope the 8 pin connector provides more than enough power for overclocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-rjhS_cJg

I like that Sapphire Ed fella, he did a good video about the Fury Tri-x with one of the smaller American review sites a while back.

Soldato
Hm, it would disappointing if it would only hover around 1400mhz though it would put it around a stock 980 in terms of performance. I say disappointing because the 390x can already do better, so the only question is how much do you think it will get in performance from driver updates. Tough choice, but I think if you're going to buy a card for only 1-2 years until you upgrade I'd still go for the 390x today. Of course, this option will disappear as the stock does.

Back
Top Bottom