• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

I thought the card also had a physical button on it to cycle colours / turn it off? Not as convenient as a piece of software but can then be set to your preferred colour and left alone. Or has the button been removed from the final retail model?

The button is still there. Options are:
Steady colour (default blue)
Rainbow (cycles through all colours)
Breathing
Off

sent web note asking if i was still receiving my card around the 5th as i was told. i got this reply.

"Thank you for your webnote, we have had stock arrive but there was not enough to cover the pre-orders but we hope for more stock next week the 12th August, is for a new order that we placed fingers crossed, sorry for the delay, have a great day."

so does this mean i wont be getting mine until around the 12th now?

im currently 170th in the queue if that helps.

OK, done some testing got to know my card a bit.
My old card was a windforce (3 fan) 760 so I'll be comparing against that.
This is my first time using an AMD card too.

First off, build quality is amazing and the LEDs are really nice. (How do I configure them?)
I have a 144Hz monitor which needs DVI hence my choice of card. I install the necessary drivers and reboot. Adjust resolution and make sure refresh rate is set to 144Hz. And then my screen flashed with gray and black lines for a split second.
I was excited and so didn't uninstall my Nvidia drivers so I use DDU to wipe everything and reinstall AMD drivers. Screen still flashes :/
Quick google later I find "Reduce DVI frequency on high res displays" and "Alternate DVI operational mode" which promise to help against distortion etc and turn them both on. Whilst this seems to have greatly reduced the occurrence of the flashing it does still happen randomly and rarely.

Before I get to performance I'd like to talk about noise, my 760 was pretty quiet normally but pretty obnoxious if I left my case cover on (fractal core 500) for an extended time whilst gaming. The Nitro is silent at idle due to the fans stopping with an idle temp of about 41°C from boot. During my benchmarking WattMan said the fans got up to around 2200 RPM which was loud and a temp of 70°C. The fans stop once the card gets to 47°C.

Now for performance numbers. Only tested two benchmarks ATM.

Unigene Heaven- Extreme with 1080p fullscreen = Score 1371

Firestrike: Graphics score 13,467
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13674134?
70c is nothing, set a higher target temperature AND fan speed in Wattman.

RE:

As mentioned above, we had some random issues with target temperature settings – we tested with the target temperature set at 75c via the driver. The noise level of both cards was very low, however if AMD’s Wattman set up a 75c target temperature setting, then the fans would spin much louder.

At idle, or under low load the fans disable, always a welcomed feature.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/28/

Cheers, should keep me happy at 1080p for a while.

Oh yes, and maybe even some upscaled 1440P

Just wanted to confirm my off the top of my head +50%...

63% + 60 Percentage points = 100.8%

So about 60%+

perfrel_1920_1080.png

Running mine through Firestrike it consistently stayed in the 1300s (ending up with a graphics score of 13551). I just played 40 mins of Everybody's Gone to the Rupture and there it hasn't dropped below 1342 at all.

This is such an upgrade from the HD530! :D

Increase the power limit. Adjust the temperature target and minimum and maximum fan speeds in Wattman to suit your preferences.

Thanks, I now get 1342 Stable with +25% power.

Running mine through Firestrike it consistently stayed in the 1300s (ending up with a graphics score of 13551). I just played 40 mins of Everybody's Gone to the Rupture and there it hasn't dropped below 1342 at all.

This is such an upgrade from the HD530! :D

Increase the powar! I went from 13,467 to 13,699 with just that.

My temperature target was set at 75C already when I first opened Wattman.

I'll leave the power alone for now, I happy with it and it seems to hold the boost up well!

Glad to see some are receiving theirs, Gives me hope mine is around the corner LOL

I've been putting off getting a new graphics card for a while but my 7850 died earlier this month, So I had the perfect excuse for the Mrs ;)

Currently using a 5670 from an old system so I am checking back for any news regularly :D

Setting the temp target to 75C-78C would make a huge difference in fanspeed so am surprised why Sapphire set it to 70C. It may look good in reviews I guess but I prefer a slightly quieter card even if temps are a bit higher. The reference 480 can hit 80C anyway so it's perfectly safe.

By default it's 75°C btw.

Changing it from 75 to 80 makes a MASSIVE difference in acoustics. It drops the fan speed from 2200+ to 1640. I've had Heaven running for quite a while now and haven't stopped it because it's not making much noise :D

Back
Top Bottom