• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Soldato
Setting the temp target to 75C-78C would make a huge difference in fanspeed so am surprised why Sapphire set it to 70C. It may look good in reviews I guess but I prefer a slightly quieter card even if temps are a bit higher. The reference 480 can hit 80C anyway so it's perfectly safe.

indeed, my reference goes as far as 84c in heaven bench on extreme setup@1080

Associate
Just tried overclocking my core clock. +50% power limit. 3% OC. Crashes. 1.5% may work but these things are tuned to the max.

81.2% Asic if it matters

Last edited:
Soldato
By default it's 75°C btw.

Changing it from 75 to 80 makes a MASSIVE difference in acoustics. It drops the fan speed from 2200+ to 1640. I've had Heaven running for quite a while now and haven't stopped it because it's not making much noise :D

That's an even bigger drop in fanspeed that I thought :).

Try fine tuning it to around 77C for a perfect balance between noise and temperature.

Associate
Update on OCing: I may have just pushed my memory up to the end of the slider and it didn't crash but my screen started flashing and stuff. 2200Mhz seems to be ok though :D
Having to stop for a bit now but I'll let you know how my final OC goes.

OcUK Staff
OP
My temperature target was set at 75C already when I first opened Wattman.

I'll leave the power alone for now, I happy with it and it seems to hold the boost up well!

You only need to increase power target if you find boost is dropping during gaming sessions.

OcUK Staff
OP
Update on OCing: I may have just pushed my memory up to the end of the slider and it didn't crash but my screen started flashing and stuff. 2200Mhz seems to be ok though :D

1360 / 8200 is pretty much a safe bet on these cards. Any higher is much more difficult on stock voltages and air cooling.

Associate
Just tried overclocking my core clock. +50% power limit. 3% OC. Crashes. 1.5% may work but these things are tuned to the max.

81.2% Asic if it matters

Also you will have to play with voltage settings to get the best core OC, not just the power limit. Small increments and the temps or instability will tell you when you have gone too far.

OcUK Staff
OP
That sounds worrying... I think

1.5% is exactly 1362MHz which is what most reviews have being posting, 3% is 1382MHz which only some cards can do.

These are the Boost editions with 1342MHz stock speed, so there is not much more left on the table, any more will require extra voltage. Also some actually respond better to being undervolted, so always worth a try. :)

Associate
Also you will have to play with voltage settings to get the best core OC, not just the power limit. Small increments and the temps or instability will tell you when you have gone too far.

Of course this is where a small amount of risk comes in, so it's up to you, sticking with what Gibbo said is a safe bet and is probably 95+% of the performance you can get out of the cards even with higher voltages.

Associate
Hey Gibbo, just out of interest, do you have any idea where geographically are you getting the orders from? Mostly the UK? Rest of Europe or USA? You have at least two customers from down here in New Zealand because I sent my buddy to you too. I'm hoping the card doesn't take like 3+ weeks for international shipping.

OcUK Staff
OP
It's funny because to enthusiasts the cards not OCing very well can be a bit disappointing, but what it really means is that the manufacturer is giving you the best they can out of the box, which isn't a bad thing.

To be honest, it would seem that the option of faster out the box seems to help sell the cards more, Zotac 1070 and 1080 Extremes being a perfect example of this as those boost at over 2GHz out the box and they sell incredibly well.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hey Gibbo, just out of interest, do you have any idea where geographically are you getting the orders from? Mostly the UK? Rest of Europe or USA? You have at least two customers from down here in New Zealand because I sent my buddy to you too. I'm hoping the card doesn't take like 3+ weeks for international shipping.

One customer in Canada took 20 units, I am guessing a small store out there, seen a few orders from US, New Zealand, Australia and of course through Europe too. :)

Overclockers UK is known worldwide, it is great when I go Las Vegas (CES) and Taiwan (Computex) people literally will see my OcUK top and come over and say are you Overclockers UK, is it Gibbo. I am like yes and they are like yeah I see your post on the forum and hear so much about your company. Yes most the people I meet think I actually own the company, I wish I did, haha, but it is great to be part of a company that is recognised not just throughout Europe but USA and Asia too. :)

Associate
I was just doing it for you guys :D Thought you might be interested.:p

Yeah and it's much appreciated, just another stat to go down in all of our minds to get a better idea of what to expect when we are lucky enough to have one ourselves :) Have a pretty good idea of what to expect from mine now, 1350-1400 core and 2120-2250 mem are my targets, pretty tight ranges but I'll still spend some time playing around with that at some point no doubt. Not sure if I'll have the restraint to stop myself from just gaming for hours on end first though, probably a 5x upgrade out of the box for me lol.

Back
Top Bottom