• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Soldato
Sadly they tested the cards in an open bench and saw a max temp of 76. It'll probably be hotter in a chassis.
Depends on your airflow really. It can often be the case that a card will run cooler in a closed case with good airflow than it will on an open bench, since it'll have more cool air driven over it by the case fans.

Associate
Crossing my fingers and hoping those 100 arrive today! Any news on that?

Not many people went for the non-OC 8GB version huh, I bought it on the 23rd and was told yesterday I was #7 in queue.

Bought non-OC since it's going in an ITX build, can't push it.

Associate
Some PowerColor Devil reviews from Guru3D
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_480_red_devil_review,1.html

Guru3D has disappointed me sadly, they're usually much more professional with reviews and more comprehensive.

ROTR - Not using the latest async Patch, Not using 16.7.3 drivers which give 10% boost in this game ,enabling HBAO+

Doom - Not including vulkan results in overall listing - Not using TSSAA or no AA so async can be enabled

Battlefield hardline - HBAO+ enabled

Shadow of Mordor - no 1080P benches

On the brightside it's an amazingly quiet card, at 38 dba under load. Sadly they tested the cards in an open bench and saw a max temp of 76. It'll probably be hotter in a chassis.

Bizarre the reviews have been poor from many of the big sites for the 480 cards.

I can't understand why he didn't bench Tomb Raider with the new patch released today that is meant to boost performance at up to 10%. Even worse is not using the async patch either.

This was his excuse:

Tomb Raider will be retested once when I have the time, the new driver was released hours ago.

But surely he had the time in the preceding weeks to update to the async drivers AMD added to the game. And why not delay publishing this review to test on the TR driver update released today?

Like you said, not including the Vulkan DOOM results in the chart but having it separately is also weird as anyone can DL and install Vulkan mode. It's free performance for both vendors.

Uvo

Uvo

Associate
It's just occurred to me that these things don't have mDP out so the cable I've been using for the 280X won't work!

And the OCUK value 2m DP cable is out of stock.

i had the same problem when i was installing the card last night.
had to search the house and find some full size DP cables. luckily i did have a couple but it was a momentary frustration..

Soldato
Like you said, not including the Vulkan DOOM results in the chart but having it separately is also weird as anyone can DL and install Vulkan mode. It's free performance for both vendors.

He also didn't test Vulkan with Async enabled. He used SMAA, instead of TSSAA, or no AA. :/

Odd testing really. Surely anyone with an AMD card would run the game in Vulkan given that it's free performance for the same visuals.

Same with the Tomb Raider Async patch and the new drivers both adding more performance. If he had the game through Steam as many do, he must have manually set it to Not download the latest patches as well.

Caporegime
it might be louder but its not loud

Giz

At stock, sure, but what happens when there is voltage control, you want an extra 5-10% performance so you put the voltage up? The devil goes from 34.5dba to 40dba, the Nitro goes from 44dba to 52dba and the devil is still quiet while the nitro is actually loud.

10dba quieter means it will be significantly quieter when further overclocked as well.

I've said elsewhere, my main issue is they are identically priced but the Sapphire is simply badly designed. extra wide pcb, wider fans = empty space under the shroud, overhanging fans. You're getting more heatsink, more fan and less noise for the same money. If the Sapphire used it's extra card width and actually had a wide heatsink filling that space then it would be significantly quieter and run cooler.

They've hidden a 'meh' heatsink under a fancy shroud, they've tried to make the card look bulky and like it has beefy cooling but behind the fans you see they skimped on the heatsink. That is what puts me off more than anything, I'm getting better value and more heatsink with the Devil. The sapphire is shorter, though wider(so overall area isn't hugely different) and will certainly fit in some cases the Devil won't, but there is just no reason not to use up that space under the shroud for a bigger heatsink.

Associate
I'm putting mine in a Raijintek Metis! Tiny ITX case, practically no airflow. I have the top off now and won't put it back until I get a chance to drill a grate of holes in the top for some airflow.

Hahaha, glad i'm not the only one. I have to take the cover off my fractal core 500 if i'm going to stress it a lot. Otherwise it goes from 76°C at 1640 RPM to 76°+ at over 2200 RPM. So loud then. It's not a new problem though. My windforce 760 did the same thing :p

Associate
At stock, sure, but what happens when there is voltage control, you want an extra 5-10% performance so you put the voltage up? The devil goes from 34.5dba to 40dba, the Nitro goes from 44dba to 52dba and the devil is still quiet while the nitro is actually loud.

10dba quieter means it will be significantly quieter when further overclocked as well.

I've said elsewhere, my main issue is they are identically priced but the Sapphire is simply badly designed. extra wide pcb, wider fans = empty space under the shroud, overhanging fans. You're getting more heatsink, more fan and less noise for the same money. If the Sapphire used it's extra card width and actually had a wide heatsink filling that space then it would be significantly quieter and run cooler.

They've hidden a 'meh' heatsink under a fancy shroud, they've tried to make the card look bulky and like it has beefy cooling but behind the fans you see they skimped on the heatsink. That is what puts me off more than anything, I'm getting better value and more heatsink with the Devil. The sapphire is shorter, though wider(so overall area isn't hugely different) and will certainly fit in some cases the Devil won't, but there is just no reason not to use up that space under the shroud for a bigger heatsink.

You must be more sensitive to sound than me because in my aerocool deep silence matx case with an 80 degree target temp I can barely hear it

Giz

Back
Top Bottom