Saving Sessions / Demand reduction thread

Octopoints? What are those?

Octopoints are the credit you gain as part of the Octoplus scheme which can be converted to cash on your online account at a rate of 800 Octopoints to a £1 or you can multiply the value of your Octopoints by redeeming them against offers that will be available very soon.

You’ll be able to see your Octopoints balance in the Octoplus tab of your online account or Octopus mobile app. Convert your points to cash by clicking on the ‘Convert Octopoints to credit’ button in either the app or your online account.

Octopoints will last for 3 years. After that they’ll expire, and we’ll remove them from your Octoplus dashboard.

So 0.625p just for signing up, I see you will get points for referrals.
Be aware they expire after 3 years

Anyone know what the payment rate is to the wind farms to not provide power when they have a surplus on the grid?.

The new big Scottish windfarm is now fully online, just wonder if it works out cheaper to provide some free electricity than pay them for not feeding power to the grid.

Shame about us with solar and or batteries. Will have pretty much zero.
The free every sessions however…I can charge the house batteries at 5kw, the cars at 14kw and have the hot tub on to heat :)

Shame about us with solar and or batteries. Will have pretty much zero.
The free every sessions however…I can charge the house batteries at 5kw, the cars at 14kw and have the hot tub on to heat :)
Maybe not. £3000/mWh is the quoted figure, i'd happily export at £3 and draw from the grid at less busy times.

From the FAQ but not very clear on details yet.

Can I take part if I have an export tariff?​

Yes, customers who generate and export electricity (via solar panels, for example) can take part in Saving Sessions, and we’ll credit you for any extra exporting you do compared to usual.

Maybe not. £3000/mWh is the quoted figure, i'd happily export at £3 and draw from the grid at less busy times.

From the FAQ but not very clear on details yet.

Awesome will be interesting to see how much you get, I'm limited by speed of G1 at 2.6kW exporting, but if it's a couple of hours can get a few out.

It might be a thing like quidco do where you can exchange it for a voucher that works out > 8p per point. I'll probably just go for credit though.

Maybe, no harm in seeing! I already changed mine to credit before so no big wins for me, you clearly kept yours just in case they got a boost later, which they may do. Worst case scenario, you can still trade for credit at the old rate.

Yeah its going to be interesting to see what rate the export is at.

It could make a diff but should be at the same rate.

Something must be different in that they say they will opt your export in if you have one. That did not apply last year.

If they combine the import and export and compare that against normal then by default you just encouraged all those who could export to setup to do so.

Saving session tomorrow 17:30 to 18:30 £2.25 worth of points for every kWh saved, and hopefully every extra kWh exported.

Looks like that is the case. If I can't game the system by charging my battery in the hours leading up to the event, at least I can dump 5kWh back to the grid and get paid. It is arguably a lot better for everyone when compared to the old way of gaming the system.

Can I take part if I have an export tariff?​

Yes, customers who generate and export electricity (via solar panels, for example) with Octopus can take part in Saving Sessions, and we’ll credit you for any extra exporting you do compared to your usual "net" consumption, i.e. your imported energy minus your exported energy

E.g. If there’s an event between 6-7pm and we calculate that you usually export 2kWh during that time and don't import anything, then if you export 5kWh during the Saving Session, we'd credit you for this extra 3kWh that you're giving back to the grid (5kWh - 2kWh).

Your export tariff won't be affected, only additional energy exported during the Session will be paid at the Saving Sessions incentive rate.

E.g. If there’s an event between 6-7pm and we calculate that you usually export 2kWh during that time and don't import anything, then if you export 5kWh during the Saving Session, we'd credit you for this extra 3kWh that you're giving back to the grid (5kWh - 2kWh).
I do wonder how they work out what you normally export, its got to be an average over X days, or could it be the same day last week.

How does this differ from the last saving sessions? What is the optimal way to save? :p

Last year you could game the system by drawing a lot more power in the preceding hours, this year that's not the case. Also see Casper's reply above, that didn't apply last year either.

PS. I've instructed the wife not to cook between 17:30 and 18:30, as that means more export power :D

Last edited:
I do wonder how they work out what you normally export, its got to be an average over X days, or could it be the same day last week.

Last year you could game the system by drawing a lot more power in the preceding hours, this year that's not the case. Also see Casper's reply above, that didn't apply last year either.

PS. I've instructed the wife not to cook between 17:30 and 18:30, as that means more export power :D

So how do they work out what I saved? Will give it a go, but probably won't get anything worth bothering.

So how do they work out what I saved? Will give it a go, but probably won't get anything worth bothering.

If you normally use 5kWh from the grid for the session, and you only use 2kWh then you get 5-2 = 3, so 3 x £2.25 = £6.75

If you have a battery and normally export 4kWh in the session, but export 8kWh, then it 8 - 4 = 4kWh, so 4 x £2.25 = £9

The bit that nobody knows is how they calculate what you normally use/export.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom