Saving Sessions / Demand reduction thread

Just opted into this as I now force discharge but usually at 4-5pm. If I can drain the battery at 5.30pm I assume it'll be decent as we don't use nor send anything out usually at that time?

Only just seen this thread. I have my first saving session tomorrow I believe. Only found out today. So all I'm going to do is basically shift usage to between -1 to -4 hours before for anything big I can think of like cooking, heating, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher. I mean I could do some hoovering to be fair. Yeah nah.

Only just seen this thread. I have my first saving session tomorrow I believe. Only found out today. So all I'm going to do is basically shift usage to between -1 to -4 hours before for anything big I can think of like cooking, heating, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher. I mean I could do some hoovering to be fair. Yeah nah.

I don't think this works this year.

I see the first of this years saving sessions is tonight, apparently 17:30-18:30 on Octopus and they're paying £2.25 (1800 Octopoints) per unit saved (and theoretically, exported above your normal export amount). I haven't received any sort of notification or e-mail yet though (and I have notifications turned on for the app), only know about it because someone on Facebook mentioned that there was a Givback session tonight so I decided to check the Octopus app and found I was able to opt in to the session. Oddly they said the Givback session was 17:00-18:00 so don't know if different suppliers have different times or whether that was a mistake.

Will be interested to see if export really is included, if not will have to look into switching to Givback for these sessions. Also, has anyone else received a notification?
I've quoted you in this thread, as it's the correct one.

If you look in the app you can follow them on WhatsApp, that's how I got my notification, even though app notifications are turned on.

If you export more than your normal amount, then you get paid £2.25 per kWh.

I've quoted you in this thread, as it's the correct one.

If you look in the app you can follow them on WhatsApp, that's how I got my notification, even though app notifications are turned on.

If you export more than your normal amount, then you get paid £2.25 per kWh.
Yep, I do follow them on WhatsApp and after checking I can see the message but got no notification from WhatsApp either, even though I haven't muted notifications from the group, hopefully just a one off!

I do wonder how they work out what you normally export, its got to be an average over X days, or could it be the same day last week.

Last year you could game the system by drawing a lot more power in the preceding hours, this year that's not the case. Also see Casper's reply above, that didn't apply last year either.

PS. I've instructed the wife not to cook between 17:30 and 18:30, as that means more export power :D
They calculate your normal usage\export based on your average usage\export in that time period over the last 10 working days (not including ones with saving sessions) if it's a working day, or over the last 4 weekend days if the session is at a weekend, it is in the FAQ somewhere. I have been avoiding forcing export during the flux period recently for that reason, as that is the most likely time period for sessions to occur. Think it is 9 working days since I last exported, so will almost have maximized my return for today.

edit - Actually, re-reading, it doesn't actually say it's the average over those days, so there could be some other weighting involved, like more recent days having more impact or something.

Last edited:
export normal should be average net full daily export over previous 10days, (like usage is 10 previous similar days in that slot)
to distinguish if folks just increased export exceptionally in the window, of energy they would export daily anyway.

export normal should be average net full daily export over previous 10days, (like usage is 10 previous similar days in that slot)
to distinguish if folks just increased export exceptionally in the window, of energy they would export daily anyway.
It should be based on usage or export during the window, that is the entire point. To reduce demand or increase supply from battery to reduce load.

It should be based on usage or export during the window, that is the entire point. To reduce demand or increase supply from battery to reduce load.
Yes, otherwise it will include export from solar which you don't really have much control over, only needs a nice sunny day (like yesterday was here) to mess up your average for the next few days.

IMG-20231116-174157.jpg

That equates to about 7kW being exported, and about 9kW from the batteries. :D

Last edited:
Forgot all about it after signing up last night lol. No export here, but we have managed to inadvertently have a late dinner and not have the TV on until just now so hopefully saved a little bit compared to normal use.

Back
Top Bottom