Scariest Monster / Thing in a game?

Associate
The monkeys, the spiders and the Many from SS2. It was the sound that freaked me out, especially if you couldn't see them straight away. There was also a level where you had to retrieve something or other from a generic warehouse with crates and lifts with lots of robots patrolling - pretty scary stuff

The headcrabs in the (dark) air conditioning ducts on my first HL run through

The Barons at the end of the shareware level of Doom

Caporegime
Haha yeah I remember the Barons in Doom. My mates girlfriend panicked and had to pass me the controller when they appeared, not that I was feeling totally at ease myself. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, the black head crabs make a different sound, which I like, compared to the 'regular' ones. They just happen to be lethal and look more like a spider, which for me and I expect quite a lot of others, makes it even worse.

Last edited:
Associate
Resident Evil 3- The many times Nemesis chased you in the city, when you think you're safe and he bursts through the door. Terrifying :p.

Gears Of War - The first Berserker Encounter. Perhaps not scary in the traditional sense, but man i was tense running for my life while trying to see where it was. Certainly gets the adrenaline pumping.

Half Life 2 - Ravenholm. Damn that entire level is a work of genius 'We don't go to Ravenholm' will go down in gaming history imo. The running/leaping headcrab zombies were frightening as hell.

Tomb Raider 1/2/3 - Honorable mention to the many freaky monsters found in these games, usually of the skeleton/mummy/mutated creature variety.

Soldato
Few mentions from me based on my gaming history over the years:

FEAR - Alma, especially when she crawls at you at insane speeds in dark places (pipe and office to name two examples urgh)

Alien trilogy - really old game now but due to the draw distance, it will still scare the crap out of you lol. Played it a few months back and due to the quite slow turning and popping up of aliens, you quite literally turn around to an alien headbiting you :(

Resident evil 1 - Hunters, basically as soon as you see one, you have to react instantly with your best weapon, or get your head ripped off. Due to that your heart absolutely pounds lol.

For my scariest level I've ever played, second level on AVP2 as the marine by a LONG way. Had to stop playing after I finished that level... lol

Associate
Going down into the cellar for the first time in condemned. Also going into the kitchen on the school level and meeting the cook after seeing things move out of the corner of your eye whilst walking through the abandoned school.
Also the original alone in the dark on pc/3d0 with the forced camera angles and the ghost in the library.

Soldato
Alma = Go to store and buy more pants scary!

FEAR1/2 Loved the games but Alama always manages to creep me out and im expecting Alma to creep hell outta me in three

Associate
Pretty much anything (crows/dogs/zombies/etc) which bursts unexpectedly through a window/wall/ceiling/etc in Resident Evil 2.

Special mention goes to the first time I saw the T-Rex in the original Tomb Raider.

Caporegime
Alma and Fear generally was a very scary game for me but the second wasn't even close, apart from one part from memory, - though I won't say what that bit is in case it spoils it for someone else.

Back
Top Bottom