Scariest Monster / Thing in a game?

Soldato
Half Life 2 - Ravenholm. Damn that entire level is a work of genius 'We don't go to Ravenholm' will go down in gaming history imo. The running/leaping headcrab zombies were frightening as hell.

Made the mistake of playing through in 1 sitting at 3 am alone in the house, all the lights off, with a quite loud 5.1 system. Boy was I glad when that was over! :p

*Spoiler* (although if you haven't played STALKER yet you don't really deserve it =P)

For me I think its the first time you go underground in STALKER, and you can hear something moving and breathing, and then just see these 2 glowing eyes rush towards you. I hate bloodsuckers! And then of course you're on edge and just as you're heading back to the surface a controller nabs you!

Actually, pretty much any underground area in STALKER, I used to hate those bits; very much a game where you just want to find a dark corner to cry in and hope that you're asleep when "it" gets you. :D

Associate
Yes! One of the few moments in gaming where I nearly crapped my pants. Thief is quite an eerie game anyway, with this level notching up the eeriness as well, I was on the verge of a panic attack. Don't think I could play it again lol.:p
Well if the fourth instalment ever surfaces, you'll have to make that choice :eek: (some scattered info here)

Can't see it ever beating that experience from back then, plus at the risk of upsetting TFT fans, the shadows on CRT were pitch black and just made the whole experience even more amazing with all the lights off :D

I still get shivers down my spine when I see screenshots of the 12' tall pixelated Mike Tyson.

mike-tyson-punch-out.jpg

Associate
Multiple characters from FEAR 1 had me browning the pants. The little girl charging you in the vent system and the constant spawns near the end of the game. I swear I just ran through the last 15min of that game screaming with my eyes shut.

Associate
Cant remember what it was called but it was on the PS store where you had o buy the chapters seperately. (I just bought the whole thing). I had to put the game away after getting to I think chapter 8 when your a little girl holding a teddy bear and you try and escape from a freaking hospital in the dark with some crazy assed zombies in there.

Just freaked me out way too much for me to finish the game :(

Associate
Not sure any of these haven't been mentioned already but:

- Facehuggers from AVP. They were insta-death if they got you and they made a horrible scuttling sounds as they ran towards you. Plus in the original AVP there was no save function so you often lost 20 minutes game play if one latched on to you. To be honest the more likely result was that you killed yourself firing grenades into the floor trying to kill the little sods

- The inmates in The Cradle in Thief 3. Anything with unnatural jerky movements instantly sets me off. These things walking around shaking like they were in the electric chair. Indeed, I think the design was predicated around the concept that they had been given shock therapy. And you couldn't kill the damn things. Also applies to the monsters in Amnesia now I think about it.

- The bag headed villagers out of Resi 4. Like the facehuggers, they were more agents of panic than genuine fear. Something big and angry charging you when you know that if it gets to you you're dead.... well its quite an experience.

- The Witch/Tank from L4D/L4D2. Its all about the music here really. The creatures themselves arent that scary, but its the 'oh shiiiiit' feeling you get when that music comes on that really sells it.

Associate
How about an honerable mention to these two:

There are these creepy, slimey small floor crawly things in Dead Space. don't know if they've got a name.

The ninjas in Half Life 1. The way they used to jump about at lightspeed was way freaky.

Soldato
Inside the body of the Many in System Shock 2 was just a creep fest from start to finish. The voice logs you kept finding from the scientist that went before you didn't help at all - he's being carried off to be digested and he's still trying to report on what's happening. The actor was brilliant, you could hear his voice start to crack from panic.

Back
Top Bottom