Scotish Breakfast!

Soldato
Square sausage is great. Wish I could get some of the propper stuff down here. The duff they sell or used to sell in Iceland isn't very good.

We also used to have something called rollies when we used to visit as a kid. Sort of a flat crossiant with butter or jam.

Rowie, not rollie.

According to Wiki, they are known as rollies. In my 10 odd years of living in Grampian I've never heard them being called a rollie.

Last edited:
Soldato
To make it more authentic, shouldn't they have just deep fried everything, plate included?

Reminds of a trip a trip to London a few years back. Popped into a little restaurant on the banks of the Thames and requested a full english for my breakfast. I was really disappointed when it arrived as a full english breakfast in London seems to consist of chips, scrambled egg and beans. Thankfully there was no jellied eels.

Anyhoo, full scottish every time. A good beef sliced sausage from a good butcher (I've got two great butchers within easy reach who have won awards for their suasages and black pudding) makes a big difference.

Soldato
When peeps say square sausage do they mean Lorne sausage? I ate that at the OcUK mountainbiking meets up in Glentress. The amount of fat that comes off them is incredible!

Associate
When peeps say square sausage do they mean Lorne sausage? I ate that at the OcUK mountainbiking meets up in Glentress. The amount of fat that comes off them is incredible!

They do. Like any other Sausage they vary in quality depending on supplier. Lorne/Square sausage from a decent butcher will have considerably less fat in it than something you would get from a burger van etc.

Associate
So im up where its even colder and rainer for a few days at the behest of work

I goto the hotel restaurant this morning and Im offered a choice of continental or scotish breakfasts, no english breakfast? i ask, only scotish is the reply

So i order my scotish breakfast and frankly im disappointed, theres not a haggis in sight! in fact its all the same ingredients as you would find in an english breakfast just not cooked as nicely

Would anyone else find this slightly naieve and a tiny bit insulting, to just take an english breakfast and label it as scotish without the slightest bit of effort to change it in some way to include something of scotland, its like the british claiming they invented curry. Is there something so broken about the current state of scotland that they are so nationalistic they have to deny any good things that might have come from being part of the UK

If the breakfast you received was no different to a full English breakfast then this is the fault of the establishment and has nothing to do with the current state of Scotland, nationalist or otherwise. The cooking was also the fault of the establishment. All of the major regions of the UK have their own variant of a full cooked breakfast and they (should) all contain unique ingredients to differentiate themselves from the others.

Did you complain about the Scottish Breakfast Tea as well? This (should) also be different from English Breakfast Tea.

Back
Top Bottom