Scotish Breakfast!

Associate
Wouldn't you have white pudding on a Irish Breakfast? I have only ever seen it served in Irish Hotel Chains or in Ireland...

Also on a slightly different note...me and the OH were up in Scotland for a wedding a few months back, and I ordered porridge for breakfast...oh...my...god *blughhh* why do the mad Scottish think that salted porridge is a good thing!?!?! Tasted like it had been made with sea water :( :eek:

Soldato
So im up where its even colder and rainer for a few days at the behest of work

I goto the hotel restaurant this morning and Im offered a choice of continental or scotish breakfasts, no english breakfast? i ask, only scotish is the reply

So i order my scotish breakfast and frankly im disappointed, theres not a haggis in sight! in fact its all the same ingredients as you would find in an english breakfast just not cooked as nicely

Would anyone else find this slightly naieve and a tiny bit insulting, to just take an english breakfast and label it as scotish without the slightest bit of effort to change it in some way to include something of scotland, its like the british claiming they invented curry. Is there something so broken about the current state of scotland that they are so nationalistic they have to deny any good things that might have come from being part of the UK

Blimey. It's a breakfast, not a nationalist propoganda tool trying to deny the English their claim to a cooked breakfast. It sounds like you got given a crap breakfast, you'll survive...unless they poisoned it because you asked for an English breakfast. We do that sort of stuff up here. It's the raging nationalism, we can't help it.

Scotish [sic] has two ts.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am always amazed when I go for a tradional Engish breakfast you get Hash Browns. This is another American import. If there is a bin on the way to the seating area that is where my Hash Browns end up.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Best cooked breakfast I ever had was a full Scottish in a B+B in Edinburgh. Perfect poached eggs, haggis, black pudding, local meats etc.

Not sure I understand the OP exactly. A 'Scottish' and an 'English' are essentially synonyms for 'cooked breakfast' in those two countries. It's a little cringeworthy that the former was offered and the latter was requested as a substitute when essentially they're the same thing with minor (or in this case no) differences.

Soldato
I went for the full English breakfast while at a Premier Inn down in Cornwall , and well that was pretty disgusting. Thankfully though I've also had cracking full English breakfast before, so it's all relative - obviously.

More importantly, if you feel insulted by that then you've got issues.

Soldato
Because all scots are alcoholic?

Why would they be drinking Irish whiskey though?
;)

I want haggis, what's it like?

Phenomenal. It is really very good and cheap. You can't really explain it, I think if you tried then it wouldn't sound very appetizing. You must be able to get some in Englandshire. Just have it with mash potatoes & neap. Some oatcakes on the side, and a whisky sauce. Oh, and a dram.

Back
Top Bottom