Scottish Premiership (and SPFL in general) 2016/17

Soldato
My Dad's a right Celtic fan, he seemed to really enjoy it even though as he said it looked like the Celtic players were standing still at times. Was very impressed by Iniesta coming on later in the game.

Associate
Joey Barton banned for 3 weeks. I thought after the season he had last year at Burnley he had turned a new leaf.

In all honesty though its probably not as big a blow for Rangers as some say. He has not exactly set the place alight up here so far!

Associate
Anyone who knows or follows Scottish football, knows that 'The Rangers' is used by rival fans as a sly dig in reference to everything that happened regarding the admin and the whole 'new club' nonsense.

For you to deny any knowledge of this is laughable.

Considering you were the one who asked for nonsense to be left out of this thread, it's highly ironic that you have started it. Well done.

To be honest, Rangers called themselves "The Rangers" long before 2012. The fact that other fans have jumped on it just highlights the fact that that chant "Your only here to see the Rangers" is probably more true than most fans will admit.

Gotta love Scottish Fitba :D

Associate
Genuine question here. Who thinks Rangers will finish in the top 6?

I dont think there is any doubt that they can. The doubt is if they will.

Last season it was Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Ross County in the top six.

Having watched the game last week against Ross County there was no questions who played the better football, who created more chances and which team should have won, Same when Rangers played Motherwell. They have better players, play better football.

What is obvious though is that they are lacking that killer spark that is needed when most teams - even when they play at their home grounds - set up with two banks of 5 and have no intention having a go.

I dont expect to see the same from Aberdeen at the weekend - they will surely come out and bring the game to Rangers and I think this weekend will be a good measurement of where in the top 6 the will come.

Its a trickier question than "how much will Celtic win the league by" though :p to which the answer is probably in Ghz rather than Mhz :eek:

Soldato
Joey Barton banned for 3 weeks. I thought after the season he had last year at Burnley he had turned a new leaf.

In all honesty though its probably not as big a blow for Rangers as some say. He has not exactly set the place alight up here so far!

He's slowed the midfield down. The biggest asset the midfield had last season was pace. It got us thru the cup semi last year. Fast forward to this season and a slower midfield and we got punished. I'll be happy with top 6 this season said that at the start of it. So long as we keep progressing. Onwards and upwards.

Associate
He's slowed the midfield down. The biggest asset the midfield had last season was pace. It got us thru the cup semi last year. Fast forward to this season and a slower midfield and we got punished. I'll be happy with top 6 this season said that at the start of it. So long as we keep progressing. Onwards and upwards.

Happier with the Betfred cup game. Holt is Vital.

Associate
OP
Rangers didn't get their home tie against Morton :o

Colour me all shades of surprised!

St Johnstone received 5 yellow cards, could have had another 2 more, and definitely a red card for a shocking challenge through the back of Maddison. They, and Hearts, are a shocking indictment of both the standard of refereeing, and the old mentality that is still on show in Scotland. Plenty of teams show that with limited ability, you can still play decent football; County and Thistle spring to mind. Yet there are still far too many dinosaurs in the game here.

Soldato
Good game and great free kick, though I felt it was a harsh decision.

Looking like relegation season ahead for Thistle with the goals we're losing, typical now that a bit of money is coming back into the game. :(

Associate
OP
Great day all round. To play as poorly as we did by our standards and yet still get a win gives me a lot more confidence in my £50 bet with my mate!

Associate
OP
yeah the better team lost although the finishing was poor to put it mildly, cracking free kick.

I wouldn't have said that necessarily. For all their possession our keeper was only tested once, and even then it was from a wicked deflection. Passing the ball around is all very well and good, but the team that scores the most goals wins the game, and the team that wins the game was the better team imo.

Associate
OP
Can't argue with the finish. Never a freekick or booking though.

I'll refer you to page 81:

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences
against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless,
reckless or using excessive force:

• tackles or challenges

The referee clearly felt the 'tackle' was careless, and thus awarded a direct free kick.

Soldato
Top of the league for City today. Tough game down at Stranraer and if I'm honest they played the better football. But a wee snatch and grab from an Andy Jackson goal I'm not going to complain!

Back
Top Bottom