Scottish Premiership (and SPFL in general) 2016/17

Associate
OP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37658444

Livingston fielding an ineligible player in their cup win over Crusaders. Could be them chucked out and Crusaders reinstated.

I watched that game, and in fairness, Crusaders probably deserved to win over the piece on balance of play. It was only when they brought the boy Cadden on they really started to penetrate the Crusaders defence. That said, Livi scored the goals, and thus ultimately did deserve the win.

It's been interesting this tournament to see the relative quality of the development league squads and the NI and Welsh leagues. Safe to say both of the latter are roughly Scottish 3rd tier, with the top development squads being below 4th tier but above the regional divisions. Having said that, the development squads aren't used to competitive football, and most have players that aren't fully developed physically.

Poor result for Brechin yesterday. Expected you to keep it going. Were you there?

Soldato
I watched that game, and in fairness, Crusaders probably deserved to win over the piece on balance of play. It was only when they brought the boy Cadden on they really started to penetrate the Crusaders defence. That said, Livi scored the goals, and thus ultimately did deserve the win.

It's been interesting this tournament to see the relative quality of the development league squads and the NI and Welsh leagues. Safe to say both of the latter are roughly Scottish 3rd tier, with the top development squads being below 4th tier but above the regional divisions.

Poor result for Brechin yesterday. Expected you to keep it going. Were you there?

With the exception of two games in November when I'm on holiday I'll be at all the games taking the photos!

Alloa have got the best squad in the division and I'd expect them to be promoted with Livingston coming second at the end of the season. I hope that we keep things tight against the other teams though to keep our hopes of a playoff place alive. Sitting second on goal difference isn't much to grumble about especially considering this time last season I think we had two or three points!

Tough game yesterday. Heavy pitch didn't help either teams and a lapse in our defence from a set piece won it for them. We had a couple of decent efforts but a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept us from equalising near the end. Not too disheartened though and hopefully get back to winning way next week away to Stenhousemuir.

Associate
OP
Yeh, it's a lot about momentum, and if you can shake aside that result you never know. I must confess, I don't really know about the league, but would you say you've played above yourselves, or right about where you expect to be?

We've still not completed the full first round of games, but with the greatest of respect to Hamilton and Motherwell, we'll be expecting to win both of those games. Despite the fact the Motherwell game has been delayed due to the cup semi-final. After a really poor start, we've hit form, and we're playing some cracking football.

Morton won't be pushovers though. They've got a great young squad, and are clearly high on confidence. I think the 'big stage' could go one of two ways for them. I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see an upset. That said, this Dons team have more balls than any since the early nineties.

Can't see Rangers getting through. In all likelihood, it'll be a Celtic vs Dons final, a month after we pump them at Pittodrie! :D

Soldato
Back to the top of the league over the weekend with livi beating alloa. This week is our second game against livi. Win we stay top, lose and livi go top, draw and alloa win they go top.

3rd Round draw of the Scottish cup tonight at 6pm. Not sure who I'd want to be drawn against but I'll miss the game as I'll be on my way back from new York when the tie is played!

Associate
OP
Really tight from 2nd in the tier 1, to the 2nd in the tier 2. Then the top four in tier 3, and the top four in tier 4. Really tight, and really enjoyable.

Apart from Celtic...

Soldato
Looks like this topic has died on its arse again but I'm not really surprised by that.

We've been terrible the past month. Losing 5 games, 4 in the league and 1 in the cup. Still in the play off positions but the teams behind are closing the gap. We've been decimated by injuries to our key players, losing 5 of the first team starters, 3 with big injuries. Captain / Right back with 'bones scraping', main striker with a broken toe (opposite foot to the foot injury he recovered from), midfielder with cartilage issue in his knee with the main ones. Not looking like we'll pick up many points until these guys are back and with the lower leagues not much money about to bring players in. Will be hoping to get a couple of guys in on loan hopefully from either Aberdeen or Dundee United who use our pitch for their development games. Or another club who has folk to spare!

Associate
It's all getting a bit easy for Celtic and will continue to get easier due to going out of Europe. Played the worst we have all season against Thistle on Friday night and still won 4-1.

Associate
OP
Derek W:

Keep an eye on McLennan for me will you? He's looked like a fantastic prospect whenever I've seen him play. High hopes for him at Pittodrie!

Edit:

It makes me throw up a little, but he reminds me of Kris Boyd when he was young...and not fat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good start! :D

Aye he looks a good player. Didn't realise he was just 17 though.

Took his goal well and looked lively throughout the game. His muscles did tighten up in the last 15 but I think it's to be expected going from development league to a heavy pitch. I spoke to him after the match cos his dad was waiting on him. Just told him to celebrate as his did right beside me and we'll get on just fine :D

Should have my match photos up later on today and the match video will be up in the next few days hopefully.

Associate
OP
Aye he looks a good player. Didn't realise he was just 17 though.

Took his goal well and looked lively throughout the game. His muscles did tighten up in the last 15 but I think it's to be expected going from development league to a heavy pitch. I spoke to him after the match cos his dad was waiting on him. Just told him to celebrate as his did right beside me and we'll get on just fine :D

Should have my match photos up later on today and the match video will be up in the next few days hopefully.

Any update mate? I know your results haven't been particularly great of late, but he sems to be starting games at least!

Soldato
Any update mate? I know your results haven't been particularly great of late, but he sems to be starting games at least!

He always looks lively when he's played but with the way our squad is just now (about half the first team is out injured and most long term!) he's maybe not getting enough good service. He didn't play against Albion Rovers at the weekend cos he was.......injured :( but I don't know how serious so not sure if he'll be back this weekend. I think the club are trying to keep him till the end of the season though cos our main striker Andy Jackson has apparently broken a toe in two places so he'll still be out for some time :( and Ross Caldwell is no Andy Jackson!

Associate
OP
He always looks lively when he's played but with the way our squad is just now (about half the first team is out injured and most long term!) he's maybe not getting enough good service. He didn't play against Albion Rovers at the weekend cos he was.......injured :( but I don't know how serious so not sure if he'll be back this weekend. I think the club are trying to keep him till the end of the season though cos our main striker Andy Jackson has apparently broken a toe in two places so he'll still be out for some time :( and Ross Caldwell is no Andy Jackson!

I'm quite sure that won't be a problem. I don't see McInnes giving him any game time soon! :rolleyes:

Soldato
look at the dates for the first qualifying round of the Europa Cup :(

First leg 29 June 2017 Second leg 6 July 2017

With Celtic playing 11-12 and 18-19 July in their 2nd round qualifying

Let's hope the Scottish teams avoid countries that are mid way through their season

Associate
Can Celtic go the whole season without getting beat? I'm a Celtic fan and can't help thinking before every game that Boyata is an accident waiting to happen. I'd be much more comfortable if it was Jozo and Sviatchenko! Despite Rangers winning 6-0 today I'm still very much looking forward to next week!

Associate
Can Celtic go the whole season without getting beat? I'm a Celtic fan and can't help thinking before every game that Boyata is an accident waiting to happen. I'd be much more comfortable if it was Jozo and Sviatchenko! Despite Rangers winning 6-0 today I'm still very much looking forward to next week!

I don't think we'll go unbeaten and I agree with Jozo and Sviatchenko, both look like class acts these days. Looking forward to next week as well, but not the cup game.
If Rangers come out and have a go at Hampden, I reckon they can stop our treble hopes. I hope that's not the case though.

As for Hamilton, they have been so poor this season. I don't think they deserve to stay up if they continue to play like they have been. It's sad cause they're my local but there is never a plan b.

Last edited:
Associate
Hamilton were very poor but if the keeper was dismissed for handling outside the box and Garner was given a red and not a yellow (!!!!!!!!!!) things could've been different.

Rangers can have a go all they like, we're a far superior team and if they press us Sinclair, Dembele and Roberts/Forrest will have a laugh!

Back
Top Bottom