Sea Of Thieves (coming to Steam as well now!)

Soldato
I think as is, the game is a good wind down chill out game after a sesh on Pubg, overwatch or anything intensively competitive.

For the game to survive long term I want to see more boats about, from what i've heard its 16 player max? which is 4 galleons in a huge map you're unlikely to find someone for a while, I want a good scrap against a boat or two.

Good suggestion from a mate, some type of pirate hangout that you have to defend if a galleon come's rocking up for your bootay, use of onland cannon's like the skeleton's have.

People like to grind and I personally think a good XP system that can unlock specific items for ships, or your pirate would go a long way.

Soldato
How the game is currently, i doubt people will grind for long. Give it a few weeks and people will literally just go around looking to PVP.

I can't actually see how this game has a future unless they totally change it. Worth the 1.80 to test though! The waves are oddly calming.

Soldato
For the game to survive long term I want to see more boats about, from what i've heard its 16 player max? which is 4 galleons in a huge map you're unlikely to find someone for a while, I want a good scrap against a boat or two.

This is my biggest gripe with the game I love the pvp side of things but it's too rare. The side missions whilst fun are clones of each other so rather limited.

Even if it were just AI ships a good bit of combat on the way to a mission would make it a lot more interesting.

Kraken is kinda *****.

Associate
Really want to give this ago but I can't seem to get my windows 10 store app to work..... I click it and it does nothing what so ever, have tried to use powershell to reinstall it but again same problem the icon appears but will not load :(

Really don't want to have to reinstall windows to fix this zzzzzzzzz

Soldato
Odd question but has anyone else had a problem when playing this with Discord in the background?

My mate and I were playing together, Push to Talk in game so not constantly transmitting and voice activated on Discord, but for some reason each of our mic's would randomly stop working in Discord for the other so would suddenly get a typed message 'can you hear me?' and vice versa. Really weird. We both closed and re-opened Discord but it still happened sporadically.

Soldato
This is my biggest gripe with the game I love the pvp side of things but it's too rare. The side missions whilst fun are clones of each other so rather limited.

Even if it were just AI ships a good bit of combat on the way to a mission would make it a lot more interesting.

Kraken is kinda *****.

Defo, I really hope they add some more content in future patches.

I was really underwhelmed with the kraken when it made its first appearance.

Soldato
Had some fun solo crewing a sloop last night. Took on a galleon crewed by 3 guys and managed to clear their ship out. If I'd had an explosive barrel I could have sunk their ship but they respawned and killed me. Was an epic 10min sea battle though.

Sloop is quite op thanks to its turning circle.

Soldato
Galleon is quite op too....When you pull a cheeky handbrake turn which is often when i'm the captain of the ship ;)
Haha yes, a good crew can be devastating. That said, it takes longer to get going again in a galleon. Sloop raises anchor really quickly and you can bail water faster

Soldato
It's got potential for sure... I can't complain with 60 days to give it a good bash for £1.39... but have to agree with the above it's really pretty sparse at the moment... I'm enjoying it and it's got quite a nice chilled pace, almost feels like you're just hanging out chatting like a glorified VRChat with the odd bit of pirate stuff to do - which is fine, and a nice way to relax in-between other more frantic games... but it'd be a lot easier to swallow in a cheaper indie title where you don't expect ~£50+ worth of game for your money...

On the plus side the very wide-open nature of it means they ought to be able to add more content (more actual game content, not just more shop items) fairly easily - with each island being just a blob of land with stuff on it I can imagine them coming up with various set-piece islands over time and introducing them to the game... they could incorporate hunting massive sea-beasts, perhaps add some NPC ships that can appear to fight with you and so on... but will they actually do that? Or will Microsoft just pocket an absolute fortune, re-invest none of it, and then toss the Rare brand aside citing "disappointing player retention and poor performance" of the game... remains to be seen

Associate
So how do you actually play this? Because for me it just seems impossible... I open Microsoft Store, it's not there... I go get the Xbox App, it says "Sea of Thieves is currently not available"... Are they purposefully trying to make it so people don't buy this?

Also, what's the deal with the Xbox Game Pass... It that available outside the US?

I swear Microsoft Store is one of the biggest piles of crap I've ever used

Associate
Figured it out... My problem is I'm outside the UK and I guess they didn't release it here yet, god knows why since I'm still in Europe.

Anyways I went on a UK VPN on my virtual machine and signed into my Microsoft account. Got the 14 day trial for the Xbox Game Pass and just put a UK address with my debit card, worked fine.

Then reloaded Microsoft Store on my main computer, but it was still showing as not available. Changed my Location to United Kingdom in Region (Control Panel) and reloaded Microsoft Store again and now it's downloading.

Maybe this is useful to anyone outside the UK but still in Europe

Soldato
So how do you actually play this? Because for me it just seems impossible... I open Microsoft Store, it's not there... I go get the Xbox App, it says "Sea of Thieves is currently not available"... Are they purposefully trying to make it so people don't buy this?

Also, what's the deal with the Xbox Game Pass... It that available outside the US?

I swear Microsoft Store is one of the biggest piles of crap I've ever used

I just used this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/000B?rtc=1 then went to Microsoft Store and was able to install it from there.

Soldato
I agree with both of the above, but am still playing... for now at least I'm okay with there not being much of a purpose because the novelty of sailing around and doing the (admittedly repetitive and shallow) quests hasn't worn off... Have easily gotten my £1.39's worth and by the end of the 2 months I have on it either they'll have added something to make it more worthwhile or it might have flopped, and either way I'll know if I want to play any further

Back
Top Bottom