Sea Of Thieves (coming to Steam as well now!)

Soldato
Totally agree with various posts above - game looks and plays great but the lack of actual content is very boring. Back and forward to an island - pick something up and drop it off for gold. Rinse and repeat. There is potential for this game but at the moment it's never a £50 game.

Soldato
The core game is solid. It just needs a ton more things to do.

More varied quests. Possibly some with multiple quest steps.

More open world events that make crews come together to win, or battle it out for big rewards. This could be anything from a volcano emerging, or some big sea creature attacking an outpost, or roaming AI Royal Navy ship/s, or about a million other things.

More meaningful upgrades, both for the ship and your character. It doesn't have to be complicated, but something to add flavour to your character. Weapons with unique effects, or ship upgrades that change the handling, or number of cannons, or speed etc.

Loot and leveling is the answer. Give people the opportunity to earn gear with better stats and they'll lap it up for some reason.

Look at The Division, it's one of the most repetitive games I've ever had the misfortune to play with missions that are beyond dull and shallow yet for some reason people are willing to drop thousands of hours into it to earn a pair of gloves that is apparently better than another pair.

Soldato
The slightest connection hiccup with the steam servers and your kicked from whatever gaming session you are in

That is not entirely true is it?

If playing a game and you lose connection to Steam, you lose community features but the game carries on as normal.

If a game uses P2P matchmaking, the session will continue as Steam matchmaking servers are not needed once a connection is initiated. Likewise, if using dedicated servers, it will run as normal.

Initiating a new game is another matter but regarding kicked from a session you are already in, that is not true.

Soldato
that's my experience of it across a fair few games.

My point is, steam is decent but not perfect, should be better given the money they rake in, xbox ap is poor but I can see why they would want more people on it and to allow for the cross play.

They need to remove all the bloat associated with it.

SoT has the foundation of a great game, it's a lot of fun but needs so much more added to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft obviously have their eyes on taking on the best in town, VALVE.

To do that, you need something better. Anything less is just treating people like idiots.

Microsoft turn up with a bag of **** and expect everyone to go "YAY, take my £50".

You can say what you want about Steam but as it stands, it is the benchamrk and it works, for the most part.

Is it perfect, NO.

In comparison however to Windows Store and the Xbox app, Microsoft are insulting us and too busy trying to shove UWP apps down our throats.

Windows Store/Xbox App is just the illegitimate sibling of GFWL and Microsoft will kill a potentially good game because of their stubborness/greed.

Soldato
Skull and Bones looks pretty cool, but it doesn't appear to have anything in common with Sea of Thieves bar pirates. The gameplay looks to more like games such as World of Warships and Fractured Space, rather than having multiple people on a single ship sailing about having fun. I've signed up for the beta to try it anyway!

Soldato
I was going to somewhat defend the Microsoft store / xbox app integration with comments along the lines of "they've got to start somewhere" and "xbox crossplay is pretty cool"
But just tried to launch the game only to be told it's updating and will be ready later. No details on how big an update, how long it will take... C'mon you need to atleast bother with basic stuff like this Microsoft :(

Caporegime
I was going to somewhat defend the Microsoft store / xbox app integration with comments along the lines of "they've got to start somewhere" and "xbox crossplay is pretty cool"
But just tried to launch the game only to be told it's updating and will be ready later. No details on how big an update, how long it will take... C'mon you need to atleast bother with basic stuff like this Microsoft :(

But we're years in the UWP cycle, and it's not their first store attempt.
And who knows how long it'll actually remain usable. Microsoft have precedent for killing stuff off.

Soldato
Loving the game, as said above it's some great father/son time. Bought this for myself and my son, even the fiancee is playing it!

Managed a great clip that got retweeted by the SoT twitter and got some traction on reddit for a bit. Was on a few other websites like ebaumsworld and a couple of others I forget.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232684044

Whole highlight is SFW.

Soldato
Loving the game, as said above it's some great father/son time. Bought this for myself and my son, even the fiancee is playing it!

Managed a great clip that got retweeted by the SoT twitter and got some traction on reddit for a bit. Was on a few other websites like ebaumsworld and a couple of others I forget.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232684044

Whole highlight is SFW.
You are one stone cold motherlover

Soldato
It was the first time he'd fallen in the water so he didn't realize how close the mermaid would be and that it would bring him back, not that he got to it.. he was fine after that I promise! lol

Associate
That is fantastic! Cruel...but fantastic. Would I turn my boat round for my son....hmmmm....this is reason enough for me to download it on the xbox for him to play with me on the PC!

Speaking of windows store, Sea of Thieves would not launch so I open up the store and this triggers a download with no indication on size of dl or anything. This is the darkest timeline......

Soldato
Honestly i love sea of thieves.. I am sick of hyper cometitive games that are only fun when you are winning. I couldn't care less if i actually make some decent gold whilst playing the game, the fun of the game is talking to strangers, exploring the seas and getting in to skirmishes with other wood-be pirates.

People say its not worth £50 but i would get far more hours of game-play out of this than many other new games coming out.. one example was Dragon Ball FighterZ (£50 on release, still £44), the game is good but as far as content goes, it offers literally zero progression.. Even so it is rated as "very positive" on steam and sold great.

Back
Top Bottom