Sea Of Thieves (coming to Steam as well now!)

Associate
There are a few things that need to be changed! I think they 100% need to make weapons and gear more powerful in PVP! Need to go for like a Wow approach with GEAR because at the moment your grinding GOLD for nothing more than to look Different ??? WTF is the point in that..

I've had a few good battles with the Ships and that is FUN but they a Team can re-spawn in around 5 min and then head back and Attack you all over again ? seems a little stupid.

Single player is well ~Just plane and simple Boring......

As others have said the game is fun with mates but playing randoms is again boring.

They really need to think of something because as it stand the game is nice to look at but will get very very boring fast as it currently stands.

Also the quests you get are are the same! Kill Skeletons and then kill a Skeleton Boss! The whole process is just too dam easy! This game has been made way to easy.

Soldato
I agree with both of the above, but am still playing... for now at least I'm okay with there not being much of a purpose because the novelty of sailing around and doing the (admittedly repetitive and shallow) quests hasn't worn off... Have easily gotten my £1.39's worth and by the end of the 2 months I have on it either they'll have added something to make it more worthwhile or it might have flopped, and either way I'll know if I want to play any further
This is where I'm at . For a few quid it's fun, and I'm enjoying it, and when the shine wears off I'll drop it (unless they add more gameplay

Soldato
Stumbled onto another ship earlier just pulling into port to drop off their haul... murdered the lot of them, took all their stuff and set their ship sailing off out to sea... They had one of those skulls and a decent chest

When the respawned they came back and fired at our ship for a bit (empty and docked at the outpost so who cares right?!) so we boarded them and they had a massive go at us over voice comms :D "You think you're real funny huh?"... "You guys are jerks"... we were like "err it's a PIRATE game... what do you expect?"

Soldato
Feel sorry for anyone that dropped £50 on this, I've played 4 hours and uninstalled it, there just isn't a game here and it will be dead in a month.
How the dev's had the cheek to release this with so little content is beyond me and there is just no reason to keep playing.

There have been Early Access games in Alpha release with more than this so it deserves all the negative press its getting.

Soldato
Have had problems joining server since late last night.

Same on multiple PC's.

I despise Microsoft store games.

Am installing Windows updates now but Windows updates to make a game work? LOL

Soldato
Nevermind...

"Sea Of Thieves is now undergoing maintenance. Players on both Xbox One and Windows 10 will not be able to enter the game until it is completed. The maintenance will end at 2pm GMT. We will post again once the game is open!"

What a joke. If they are demanding £50 they can at least come up with a update system which does not require the game being offline for 5 hours.

Soldato
How the dev's had the cheek to release this with so little content is beyond me and there is just no reason to keep playing

This a standard ploy by devs these days though :(

I think the best way to save this is through the quick release of free content patches to keep the game evolving - if they just sit back I think it'll be dead in the water

Associate
I played the technical alphas for months, and the open beta.

I loved what I played, but I just couldn’t bring myself to hand over £50 for a very fun, but very hollow game with little content

Soldato
Grabbed the Xbox game pass trial to give this a shot as the price tag for an outright buy completely put me off. Really good fun in co-op with a few friends, and quite nice playing solo if you want. As others have said though, content is really quite limited. Hopefully the game will be added to so that there are AI ships to plunder, perhaps even fleets of ships that players can side with. Really wish it was on Steam rather than on the Windows Store as the hassle around match making compared to Steam is a big negative.

Soldato
Had a real long session on this last night, and feeling a little burned out on the missions we decided to spend the whole time going after the skull-cloud forts... Probably the most fun we've had so far...

3 or 4 full 4-man crew Galleons had all been drawn to the same skull fort and what followed was 2 hours of epic battling. Every time a ship would go down it would be back in ~5 minutes with a fresh stock of cannonballs so it became this brilliant and frantic battle - try to down enough of the other ships to buy enough time to have a go at finishing fighting the skeletons... All 16 players having a good laugh on the ghost ship inbetween lives and employing every dirty tactic in the book to try and gain the upper hand; ramming, sneaking aboard, manning cannons on the fort itself...

In the end one of the other ships managed to make off with the key (but not the loot, perhaps they went and used the key on a different fort)... It's made me kind of think that people are getting a bit too caught up in the negative hype over this one, yes the content is lacking but there's still plenty of fun to be had

Soldato
I agree with that.

There is zero reason this cannot be on Steam other than corporate desires.

The game would sell a LOT more if on Steam.

The Xbox UWP app on Windows 10 makes my eyes bleed.

Other than the mixed reviews it would get after everyone refunds before 2 hours lol

Soldato
Had a real long session on this last night, and feeling a little burned out on the missions we decided to spend the whole time going after the skull-cloud forts... Probably the most fun we've had so far...

3 or 4 full 4-man crew Galleons had all been drawn to the same skull fort and what followed was 2 hours of epic battling. Every time a ship would go down it would be back in ~5 minutes with a fresh stock of cannonballs so it became this brilliant and frantic battle - try to down enough of the other ships to buy enough time to have a go at finishing fighting the skeletons... All 16 players having a good laugh on the ghost ship inbetween lives and employing every dirty tactic in the book to try and gain the upper hand; ramming, sneaking aboard, manning cannons on the fort itself...

In the end one of the other ships managed to make off with the key (but not the loot, perhaps they went and used the key on a different fort)... It's made me kind of think that people are getting a bit too caught up in the negative hype over this one, yes the content is lacking but there's still plenty of fun to be had

Exactly, the problem is, many will see the other galleons/sloops and run away or cry that it's not a safe zone....

The game is far from perfect, lack of content/meaningful pvp progression system/merchant voyages are frustrating due to a lack of red chickens/limited enemy types.

The world is amazing, the foundations are great and what is in, is done very well on the whole. If you throw yourself in then this is a hell of a lot of fun, had lots of good pvp battles as both solo and part of a 3 man galleon, co-op'ed a few forts without issue.

W10 store is crap, the xbox live ap is crap but it's usable for the most part, it needs a lot of work, but steam is far from perfect, the slightest connection hiccup with the steam servers and your kicked from whatever gaming session you are in, which is poor considering its been around for 15 odd years.

Soldato
My group's favourite topic when sailing to an island is discussing what sort of things they could add... here's my favourite:

Introduce Whaling... you can purchase a harpoon gun which attaches to the bow of the ship (it's expensive)... it can be use it to hook onto various things; islands/rocks to improve your turning ability (similar to an anchor-handbrake turn but faster to execute)... hook onto other ships (perhaps allowing you to run along the rope to board them, or just to slow them down/mess up their steering)... and of course, Whales... hooking a whale would hold it in place allowing you to maybe cut off a hunk of whale blubber from its back... or hop into the water and swim inside the whale's mouth and have like a mini-dungeon with skeletons to fight or loot to find, exiting via the blowhole...

It'd have to be balanced for PVP... I think the best way to balance it would be that it takes quite a while to reload the harpoon (perhaps have several actions to perform to load it, each taking up a sailor's time for quite a while, similar to raising anchor on a galleon)... and have it so that the rope can be cut (not quite instantly, but fast enough that it doesn't become a major OP nightmare to any lesser ships that don't have one)...

HeX

HeX

Soldato
The core game is solid. It just needs a ton more things to do.

More varied quests. Possibly some with multiple quest steps.

More open world events that make crews come together to win, or battle it out for big rewards. This could be anything from a volcano emerging, or some big sea creature attacking an outpost, or roaming AI Royal Navy ship/s, or about a million other things.

More meaningful upgrades, both for the ship and your character. It doesn't have to be complicated, but something to add flavour to your character. Weapons with unique effects, or ship upgrades that change the handling, or number of cannons, or speed etc.

Back
Top Bottom