Sea Of Thieves (coming to Steam as well now!)

I haven't played for a couple ofmonths, what are they doing to counter PVP (One of the core elements of the game)

The latest upcoming update is going to add what sounds like a separate PVP-centric game mode called "The Arena" or something like that... in other words splitting up the playerbase to appease the people who constantly cry on reddit that it's unfair that people turn up and steal their loot while they're trying to grind a ton of stuff to compose the perfect humblebragging screenshot (so basically, you know... Piracy in the Pirate game)

And before they did that they also added the "cursed cannonballs" - special balls which inflict a status effect on either the ship (sails up, anchor down, cannons up, etc) or the crew (drunken-ness, dancing uncontrollably, poisoned etc.) which in a lot of battles completely removes the skillful and tense back and forth trying to sink your opponent and outmanoeuvre them to just a game of "who hits a special ball first?"

Hmm, So what are they going to do in the normal game remove the cannons? lol, It's a pirate game, pirates steal loot, if you don't like it don't play or get better at the game.

The "revised" inventory system was another killer for me, I hate that new system they added before foresaken shores, there was nothing wrong with press "" to deposit cannonballs press "" to take cannonballs, huge PITA.

They haven't said they're going to do that, but I just don't like the precedent this sets... hopefully people will think "what's the point of a PVP only server of people wanting to fight, I'm a Pirate and I want to sail the regular seas and hunt down merchant ships etc as well as sometimes having fights with other pirate crews" but there's a risk that PVP players will switch to just the PVP mode leaving the regular servers feeling pretty empty and/or just full of peaceful ships in giant alliances which ruins the fun and tension of being on the lookout for enemy ships etc.

I also dislike the new inventory, it's okay once you get used to it, but not a slick to use as the old one. To be honest the main thing that could save it for me would be if pressing Q closed the inventory screen - like it does for several other screens you can bring up - currently having to reach for X to close the screen feels clunky. I also don't like how easy it is to put your items in a barrel that you meant to take from...

They haven't said they're going to do that, but I just don't like the precedent this sets... hopefully people will think "what's the point of a PVP only server of people wanting to fight, I'm a Pirate and I want to sail the regular seas and hunt down merchant ships etc as well as sometimes having fights with other pirate crews" but there's a risk that PVP players will switch to just the PVP mode leaving the regular servers feeling pretty empty and/or just full of peaceful ships in giant alliances which ruins the fun and tension of being on the lookout for enemy ships etc.

I also dislike the new inventory, it's okay once you get used to it, but not a slick to use as the old one. To be honest the main thing that could save it for me would be if pressing Q closed the inventory screen - like it does for several other screens you can bring up - currently having to reach for X to close the screen feels clunky. I also don't like how easy it is to put your items in a barrel that you meant to take from...

The new Arena mode will have its own unique trader in which special cosmetics can be attained. I do think the mainly PVP oriented players will flock to this mode for a while until they grind out the reputation for this new trader and then move back to the main world. With the new update coming out next week, Shrouded shores, AI skeleton ships will now be roaming the open sea. I think they suspected a portion of the community may leave the main world and these skeletons ships could be a new mechanic to keep adventures fresh. New weather effects such as rolling fog will also be coming to the game too. Meg and the Kraken will now drop loot once you fight them. The kraken will now fight all 3 ship types with difficulty scaling from the sloop all the way up to the Galleon.

I think this game has plenty to offer but the community doesn't know what it wants, a lot of the console players didn't like the old inventory system as it was laborious to stock ships and manage supplies mid fight, the new inventory system fixes that. I hope they continue to update and support the game at the rate they are at the moment, there is also story DLC on the horizon as well I think.

Some codes for the next few days if anyone wants them. Ends on the 13th.

PJVR6-7Y9H9-JVFJH-F72GY-J7RYZ

XWDK3-WV79Q-XJTPH-P4RXR-FT73Z

FXTCD-H3HYC-D6C9T-H9Q6J-432DZ

It's a **** move to use the codes and not even say thanks though.

When you post codes "out in the open" like this, they've probably gone to non-members or even bots. That's why there is the restricted code-give away sub-forum to keep that from happening and to ensure the codes go to forum members.

When you post codes "out in the open" like this, they've probably gone to non-members or even bots. That's why there is the restricted code-give away sub-forum to keep that from happening and to ensure the codes go to forum members.
Thanks, I didn't know there was such a sub forum. Where is it?

Lol! I'll have about as much luck getting in there as the Members Market.
Thanks anyway. :)
Maybe if you’d have been patient whilst the moderating team discussed giving you access then you’d be in there already ;)

Maybe if you’d have been patient whilst the moderating team discussed giving you access then you’d be in there already ;)
Fair comment.
Actually, as I bought another surface mat today from the shop it's probably a good idea I don't see one cheaper in the market! :D

Well, the new trailer for a mega update is out. I'm especially loving the mast dropping stuff, been wanting that for ages! I can see this really changing the way boat battles are fought out, gonna make things very interesting!

Could be a good time to get back into it... really enjoyed the game but my group kind of ducked out of it just after the first "Meg" update, then briefly played a bit more when the new volcanic area was added. Feels like there will be a load of new stuff to look at if we go back again soon

Back
Top Bottom