Sea Of Thieves (coming to Steam as well now!)

Soldato
I did my best folks.. I hit the shark.. the rest was up to him, it was sink or swim and he chose option three, shark.

I can't wait for us to encounter a Kraken together.. there is no way I'm telling him you get pulled off the ship :D

Soldato
That vid is great, haha :)

Had another great moment earlier. Me and a friend in a Sloop, spot a full Galleon crew doing one of the Skeleton Forts. So we figured we'd go and interfere and got there just as they finished the combat. Stopped the far side of the island to them (also nearer the vault) and fired my mate over to their ship where he started causing some mayhem. He grabs a crate from their hold and starts doing a runner and get's killed dropped the loot deep in the sea with it whilst I start emptying the vault of what's left - sadly not the best stuff left at this point. Got 2 crates before being spotted (no longer did they think it was a solo player in the Sloop) and we switched to shooting up there ship trying to sink it before running away due to their superior numbers. Didn't get a great haul in the end but like others have said, it's the fun not the money.

And on the other hand. Turns out the game is now broken and can't be launched by the majority of people who have it via the Game Pass. Sigh.

Last edited:
Soldato
And on the other hand. Turns out the game is now broken and can't be launched by the majority of people who have it via the Game Pass. Sigh.

I had to manually update via the store app earlier.

Anyone who is "OK" with this being on Windows Store/Xbox UWP App needs help. The whole ecosystem is broken. This not Microsoft's first rodeo, they should know better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Loving the game, as said above it's some great father/son time. Bought this for myself and my son, even the fiancee is playing it!

Managed a great clip that got retweeted by the SoT twitter and got some traction on reddit for a bit. Was on a few other websites like ebaumsworld and a couple of others I forget.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232684044

Whole highlight is SFW.

A valuable life lesson :D

Associate
Did my first skeleton fort last night with a 3 man crew. Not too bad but those shade/night ones are a pain if you've hit it at night. About 10k booty for maybe 30 mins effort...not too bad and plenty of fun. I had an impromptu suicide when running an explosive keg to clear an area and my mate "accidentally" hit it...cleared a wave though

Associate
I think it's a good job this game is on Game Pass. A 2 week free trial and then another 4 weeks for £8 is plenty time to get a feel for the game and make a decision after the mixed reviews.

I think it also depends on who you are playing with. If you're friends are competitive it will probably grow stale very quickly as there's nothing to achieve. If you're friends just want to lark about in boats and have a sense of humour then I think that's where it's at.

Soldato
Loving the game, as said above it's some great father/son time. Bought this for myself and my son, even the fiancee is playing it!

Managed a great clip that got retweeted by the SoT twitter and got some traction on reddit for a bit. Was on a few other websites like ebaumsworld and a couple of others I forget.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232684044

Whole highlight is SFW.

I like the way your wife simply assumed that you'd pushed your son in the water. Bit of previous there, eh?

Soldato
I can confirm I have never pushed him off a sea vessel before.

Just solo'd a fort and got 10707 gold for my trouble. You're really punished in this game for playing solo time wise, PvP is fun but everything else it makes zero sense to play solo.. even the worst player is extra help as some manual labour or a meat shield.

Associate
I personally don't think it's a bad game. Yes its short on content and is a giant fetch quest of a game, but to be honest its more the experience than it is the game play that I find enjoyable.

Most people have mics switched on, coupled with the fact that you don't know who's friend or foe makes it quite exciting.

Soldato
Well I for one am absolutely loving this game, despite being very skeptical about it early on...

People are slating this game as trash because it has "no content" and meanwhile heralding a game like Far Cry 5 as incredible, seemingly oblivious to the irony that really it's not all that different... Sprinkle a ton of collectibles and copy pasted uninspired sidequests, then tac on an arbitrary XP/skill levelling system and suddenly you've got depth and an amazing game do you? I'll take chasing and ambushing other ships and messing about on the high seas with a crew of mates over mowing down another band of samey poor-AI enemies to clear another outpost/checkpoint and getting a pat on the head like I accomplished something any day of the week...

To be clear I'm still not saying I agree with the price of SoT and I also do still hope the devs release some more gameplay related things to do over time, but the foundation is solid and more fun than countless games in recent memory. Just last night we were saying it might be the most enjoyable group game to kill time and mess around on since the glory days of TF2

Associate
i agree the first time me and me mate hit the high seas it was amazing, we made our own adventure and it was amazing.
it was one of my top ten gaming experiences.
But pirates aside it does get old really quick
i just hope they can work with it and give us more amazing experiences/memories!

Soldato
Couldn't help myself

20180424_151559.jpg

20180424_151608.jpg

Soldato
Wow even the merchandise is underwhelming

It is actually a VERY nice controller, may not be your taste, but its one of the best limited edition controllers on the market, comes with multiple in-game skins though.

Have they added any substantial content to this yet, or is it just as it was at launch?
They released a content roadmap

It may not be many peoples cup of tea but this game has taken more of my time than any other game in the past few years.. I have a 1080ti gaming rig and an xbox one x plugged in to a 55" 4k HDR TV and i still end up going back to SoT over and over.. It scratches the itch.

Back
Top Bottom