Sea of Thieves - released March 20th

Soldato
Had a quick blast last night. Joined a random team, somehow found a ship so started lifting the anchor, next thing I've been locked in a cage and can't get out.

Didn't have a clue what was happening.

Soldato
I'm finding it better playing solo for now. It doesn't explain much about what you're meant to do so I am enjoying figuring it all out without having to worry about randoms in my group.

Associate
My problem is theres no safe area. You can get back to the outposts with loot and get killed and robbed of all your hard work especially in solo mode. Other Players can just hang around the outposts without stepping foot on a ship and gain.

Soldato
Yeah, sadly this game is just too light on content. It didn't need to have hundreds of unique quests but hard to see how many people will get more than a few evenings unless you and some mates really get into the pirate theme.

Caporegime
I think that's what they want you to do though - subscribe to the game pass. You play Sea of Thieves for a few evenings and then go and play something else on the service after you get bored with that. Next month, they'll add new content to SoT so you keep subscribing. It's going to be the new model for gaming revenue.

Caporegime
I think they've dropped the ball on this, the only progression appears to be related to cosmetics? No real drive to grind to get a different coloured sword.

I can see it getting boring very quickly, i'm already getting there after about 6 hours.

Associate
I think that's what they want you to do though - subscribe to the game pass. You play Sea of Thieves for a few evenings and then go and play something else on the service after you get bored with that. Next month, they'll add new content to SoT so you keep subscribing. It's going to be the new model for gaming revenue.

I like this model for gaming.
I'd much rather subscribe monthly and play a vast amount of games than spend £50 on a new release that I don't like and get terrible trade-in for it.

I'm really enjoying SoT right now (playing in a group of 3 or 4) but I can see it may get repetitive after a while. At that point, I'll just play something else on the Game Pass anyway. No real loss, I've already had enough fun with the game and friends to justify the Game Pass monthly cost.

Soldato
Subscribe monthly...how many times to how many companies? Are you really going to be happy with half baked products that take years to become a half decent game?

It will kill gaming off imo. Sea of Thieves appears to be a bit of a joke to be honest and will be dead by May.

Associate
https://youtu.be/s0lnsknvkq4

Getting panned by these guys and it's not doing great in the reviews. Looks like a fun game to fool around in with your friends but it has nothing to do beyond dig up some chests that cannot be opened for a particular NPC guild.

Players will soon get fed up of that and spend their days murdering each other as there is no real gameplay to be had beyond fetch quests. There is no progression to be made beyond spending 2000 gold coins on a gold plated bucket.

You can't really call this game a sandbox as it doesn't have any facility to allow players to create stories, it's a bare bones experience.

Maybe in a years time with extensive updates there might be something there. Character leveling doesn't need to make top players invincible to new players, it could just give them more options. Trade a bit of health for movement speed, that sort of thing.

There could have been a variety of ships, some designed for speedy get aways, some for carrying a large compliment of cannons etc.

Players could have been more aligned to certain guilds and attacking players of the same guild could have been penalised but rival guilds rewarded creating a power struggle for the seas.

Those are just a few ideas that could have been implemented but for some reason they haven't. The cynic in me sees this game as nothing but a big advertisement for XBox Game Pass. Dive in for a month, have a blast until you get bored, go play some other games like Forza and maybe come back to it when some new content drops.

Soldato
https://youtu.be/s0lnsknvkq4

Getting panned by these guys and it's not doing great in the reviews. Looks like a fun game to fool around in with your friends but it has nothing to do beyond dig up some chests that cannot be opened for a particular NPC guild.

Clicked the link, saw it was PGG closed it. Can stand those clickbait fake rage vids. The guy who screamed how he was cancelling his switch pre=order including actually calling them on his vid in faux rage and then 4 months later was bigging up Zelda. They are the worst example of trend following youtube crap aiming only for clicks and views (which i unfortunately just gave them one now).

As for the game, I've been playing for well over a year now and a lot of the criticisms are valid. since the very first tech alpha the game play they really haven't added much depth to the game bit it is still great fun. for light hearted fun.
The progression is purely cosmetic, partly as you would just murder people if it wasn't and you had a better ship or guns.
Its not a MMO its a sandbox for a couple of hours of fun with friends and unlike a lot of games you can play with the guys who are 30 levels behind you and only play once a month.

I being on Gamepass really does help with that. It is also the think that made me drop for gamepass, I wouldn't have been happy if id paid £50 for this game though i probably would have, at £8 a month? no brainer if only just for the MS first party exclusives now.

Back
Top Bottom