Seagate 7200.10's are noisiest drives EVER!

Associate
lol.

i have a feeling that i'm going to have to get refund, i really want this hdd and want a fresh install of Vista on this and use as main/only OS (will keep XP/Vista install on the hdd)

Associate
Just got a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS from O.C., installed as single drive, WOW its damn noisey as hell. Reading through the forums it does seem to be a known issue, and I checked the colour of the motor glue stuff, its pink. Not too impressed at all, sounds like the HD has loose stuff or something in its that bad, or scratching or something, dunno but its so loud its not useable for me. Have installed Vista ok and everything, put my other HDs in and ran HDTune.

Not sure what I can do but I am not satisfied with this drive esp when the reviews on the item said its quiet. Not mine anyway. Seems to have issues when accessing the hd anyway as things pause.

What worries me if something is wrong with the drive and I loose data. Its going to be a primary drive and data store for important stuff.

Any thoughts?

Edit : I should add I have a 320 Seagate and its very quiet, which leads me to assume theres a prob.
HDTune_Benchmark_ST3500630AS.png

Last edited:
Associate
i got a 320GB as a replacement for the locked 250GB (only active 137GB)

same pink glue on the back and its silent.

but speed of the 320gb is less then the 250gb i had, maybe it is because i have the OS on the 320GB but burst on 250gb was almost 200mb and its only 140mb on 320gb

Associate
NickOw said:
Just got a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS from O.C., installed as single drive, WOW its damn noisey as hell. Reading through the forums it does seem to be a known issue, and I checked the colour of the motor glue stuff, its pink. Not too impressed at all, sounds like the HD has loose stuff or something in its that bad, or scratching or something, dunno but its so loud its not useable for me. Have installed Vista ok and everything, put my other HDs in and ran HDTune.

Not sure what I can do but I am not satisfied with this drive esp when the reviews on the item said its quiet. Not mine anyway. Seems to have issues when accessing the hd anyway as things pause.

What worries me if something is wrong with the drive and I loose data. Its going to be a primary drive and data store for important stuff.

Any thoughts?

Edit : I should add I have a 320 Seagate and its very quiet, which leads me to assume theres a prob.
HDTune_Benchmark_ST3500630AS.png

Well i own 2 of the 320gb drives , touch wood mine are fine, quite quick, and no noise in both seek, ect as some one else pointed out here, its a bit of a lottery of what drives you get, i jsut got a pair of the 150gb raptors and they are noisey, these drives however are near on silent.

Associate
well as it turned out drive failed on me :( windows came up with hd error saying back up data on it (vista message) and the bios SMART monitoring said failing too, going back RMA

Soldato
NickOw said:
well as it turned out drive failed on me :( windows came up with hd error saying back up data on it (vista message) and the bios SMART monitoring said failing too, going back RMA
Around November last year I bought 2 x 320GB from OcUK they had white glue & made a high pitch whine even when not in use, so I returned them under Distant sellers act.

About 2 months ago I thought I would take a chance & bought 2 x 500GB from OcUK & they have the pink glue, they both are silent so yes looks like you got duff one, I bet when you get a replacement it will be totally fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom