Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Soldato
OP
See I've never been too worried about that whole aspect. Anything important I keep on a mirrored raid NAS. Everything on these drives... well lets just say I have decent enough internet to get most things on demand if they go missing. Having the drive just saves me searching.
Ofcourse this logic doesnt apply to people who use it for mass video editing of their private stash, but these are aimed at infrequent use archiving.

Soldato
See I've never been too worried about that whole aspect. Anything important I keep on a mirrored raid NAS. Everything on these drives... well lets just say I have decent enough internet to get most things on demand if they go missing. Having the drive just saves me searching.
Ofcourse this logic doesnt apply to people who use it for mass video editing of their private stash, but these are aimed at infrequent use archiving.

They look good for my 1000 game library :D

Soldato
OP
True, I think between Titanfall, COD AW, and BF4 they're taking up circa 180GB and that's not taking in to account any future DLC's :eek:

Hehe try adding things like Borderlands (1) in there, and warcraft. Those hitch up 25gb each I think! They're my biggest space hogs. Although I retired warcraft to an archive drive a year or two back when I stopped playing, I still cant pursuade myself to part with Borderlands 1, not enjoyed 2 and 3!

Ofcourse its a good thing my most played games are small things like terraria, factorio, and minecraft!

Soldato
i think COD AW requires about 52GB of space so its not a small game!

these drives are far too much than I would ever use.

Soldato
OP
i think COD AW requires about 52GB of space so its not a small game!

these drives are far too much than I would ever use.

Holy bananas! Glad I stopped playing the CoD franchise :( My poor internet connection would melt with that!
<3 Terraria 10mbyte. 950hours and counting. bought for £1.50. Thats the best value for money and storage I have ever had :) But thats only because steam doesnt time my minecraft usage! That would be in the several thousand easily!

Associate
These will not be available till the end of January. I hope to get pricing soon.
Thanks for the update. Did you get the samples in september? Do you know access time, platter count/densities? Apparently they are 5900RPM drives with 150MB/s Reads. Wonder how the shingled platter will impact the write speed.

Soldato
Sweet. Looking for a nice big backup drive!

I still wait for the day that 1 petabyte is the norm though, and also in SSD and HDD form,

The size of files and the rate that we download them now, I can easily fill a 1tb hdd in a few days if im not careful, Tis not gud!

Associate
Any news yet!
Another etailer has them listed but no pre order or eta. Earlyer in this thread LordBarrass says end of January.

There's news of a 10TB drive being released next year that will use six 1.66TB platters, I hope these 8TB drives are using 5 platters or less and come in at under £200.

Soldato
OP
Another etailer has them listed but no pre order or eta. Earlyer in this thread LordBarrass says end of January.

There's news of a 10TB drive being released next year that will use six 1.66TB platters, I hope these 8TB drives are using 5 platters or less and come in at under £200.

Indeed he said availability end of Jan but pricing soon, so was hoping I could get a goal to save for hehe. If they do come in under £200 its a definite purchase!

Back
Top Bottom