Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Associate
Hmmms According to XE.com 260usd is 165gbp. but that doesnt matter because with electronics 100usd ends up as 100gbp!
Either way, out of all the drives I've had seagate have always been my most reliable. I know other people have different experiences but you stick to what you know!
Remember you need to add VAT.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Some etailers in Germany are listing this at around 230 euro, so I am optimistic. Will also be good competition to (hopefully) push down WD Red prices.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Some etailers in Germany are listing this at around 230 euro, so I am optimistic. Will also be good competition to (hopefully) push down WD Red prices.

the 4tb's seem to be falling already which is nice
I need another sometime coming up ><

id be surprised if the 8tb's don't have a premium attached but it would be a nice surprise

Associate
Was going to buy some WD Reds for NAS but will wait a few more weeks to see if this has any affects on pricing.

Associate
Here are the details for the 8TB drives the 5TB and 6TB are online as well now. Pricing could change as it depends on the dollar rate when they land. It is looking like the end of Next week for stock.

Seagate Archive Nearline 8.0TB 3.5" SATA 6Gbps Hard Drisk Drive (ST8000AS0002) @ £249.98 inc VAT

HD-330-SE_400.jpg

Supersized capacity, energy efficiency and lowest TCO

Features:

• Seagate brings over 30 years of trusted storage reliability to the growing need for online long-term storage.
  • Industry’s best cost/GB/watt 8TB hard drive.
  • Engineered for 24×7 workloads of 180TB per year.
  • Drive down costs with up to 1.33TB-per-disk hard drive technology.
  • SATA 6Gb/s interface optimises burst performance.
  • Seagate AcuTrac™ servo technology delivers dependable performance.
  • Free Seagate DiskWizard™ software allows you to install 5TB, 6TB and 8TB hard drives in Windows without UEFI BIOS.
  • Seagate Secure™ models provide hardware-based data security and deliver an Instant Secure Erase feature for safe, fast and easy drive retirement.
  • Seagate Secure models meet the NIST 800-88 media sanitisation specification and also support the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) standards.

Best-Fit Applications

• Cost-effective online archiving
  • Object storage
  • Big Data cold storage
  • Cloud active archive
  • Web-scale archiving

Cost-Effective High Capacity 8TB Hard Drive
Lowest cost/TB online data archive solution for petabytes of growing archival storage helps to ensure affordable long-term data management.

SMR-enabled technology ensures efficient and economical cold storage operations even in the harshest data centre environments.

Energy-Efficient High-Density Cloud Hard Drive
The 3.5-inch Archive HDD is optimised for cold data storage with the lowest power consumption and the on-demand, time-to-ready PowerChoiceTM feature.

Specifications:

• Volume: 8.0TB
  • Interface: SATA 6Gbps
  • Cache: 128GB
  • Average Data Rate Read / Write: 150 MB/s
  • Max Sustained Dara Rate, OD Read: 190 MB/s
  • Bytes Per Sector: 4,096
  • Heads / Discs: 12/6
  • Workload Rate Limit (TB/Year): 180
  • Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) Hours: 800K
  • Limited Warranty 3 Years

Only £249.98 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
Surely as an "archive drive" it is rated for NAS use?
If they are ~ £ 230, surely the 4 and 3 TB drive prices will drift down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom