Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Associate
But they must hold at least a month's worth of stock.

I guess it works in both directions so it might average out. Sometimes you have to take the hit and take lower margins or make a loss and other times you'll have a higher margin.

It works in one direction.
Higher import price - pass on more than the increased costs, using the increase to justify.
Lower import price - just don't mention anything and charge as much as possible.

It all works on percentage basis obviously, so an item that cost £10 may end up costing £11 and an item that cost £100 may end up costing £110.

European pricing has gone up approximately 10% since first announcment of £165 RRP back in December, however the Euro has decreased in value by 5% vs the Pound during that time.

The price UK retailers are charging is unjustified on that basis as they are asking for more proportionately than even the European retailers with an increase of approximately 25%

Pound has taken a hammering Vs the dollar which is the currency these are purchased in, but not the hammering you'd be lead to believe by UK asking prices. We're talking about 5% - Wherase the Euro has been destroyed with at least a 10% loss at a conservative estimate.

£165 x 1.05 does not equal £200+

I hope that clears some things up.
That means the distributors are up to no good, or the retailers are up to no good.
It's a shame it's always like this with relatively high demand/supply ratio in the UK.
It really is rip off britain because this pricing strategy is the same as used for commodity items.
Computer hardware isn't a commodity item (gold, diamonds etc)
The Europeans don't get subjected to this pricing strategy and wouldn't put up with it - apart from the usual chancers on the relevent sites, certainly respected long term retailers don't do it.

The Euro may not be great but it stops business pulling this kind of thing on the end user who just wants a reasonably fairly priced item.

I hope this post is "ok" as I'm trying to clear up some fluff on the whole pricing thing :)

We are asked to support UK businesses, and now is a time where it's needed, afterall how bad is the UK trade defecit!!!?
It's a shame these businesses don't make it easy for us to do so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Against the Euro :rolleyes:
At time of announcment Dollar was approximately 1.58-59 to the pound, it's now 1.51-52
That's not even 5%

What do you think the profit margin of products are?

That is a big hit.

As for your other post it is laughably innaccurate. The UK market is relatively competitive and where supply isn't constrained the price is good.

Last I checked the US market price of the ST8000AS0002 model it was ~$300+taxes. Even at a very favourable 1.6 that is nowhere near £165 inc VAT.

Last edited:
Associate
What do you think the profit margin of products are?

That is a big hit.

As for your other post it is laughably innaccurate. The UK market is relatively competitive and where supply isn't constrained the price is good.

Last I checked the US market price of the ST8000AS0002 model it was ~$300+taxes. Even at a very favourable 1.6 that is nowhere near £165 inc VAT.

No need for hostility now is there, my apologies for the use of " :rolleyes: "
The reason being though is that I'm comparing Europe and the Euro and obviously there's no tax implications for such a purchase.
A bit silly comparing anything with the US, that's long since been established as a totally different pricing situation.
If you think anything I've posted is laughable off the mark, please refer to the main most laughable parts and elaborate.

Soldato
These items aren't priced in Euros. If the Sterling/Euro price fluctuates it is of little significance.

The fact you use this "Rip Off Britain" phrase sums up everything.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Against the Euro :rolleyes:
At time of announcment Dollar was approximately 1.58-59 to the pound, it's now 1.51-52
That's not even 5%

So you mean over a couple of months? It hasn't really done much in the last few days vs the euro either. Makes more sense but I assume they are only paid for a few days before delivery rather than when they were announced?

Associate
These items aren't priced in Euros. If the Sterling/Euro price fluctuates it is of little significance.

The fact you use this "Rip Off Britain" phrase sums up everything.

I talk for an audience my friend.
You talk in unsubstantiated, unelaborated and unexplained insults, please refrain :)

Associate
So you mean over a couple of months? It hasn't really done much in the last few days vs the euro either. Makes more sense but I assume they are only paid for a few days before delivery rather than when they were announced?

I'll keep it simple as the only real important point is a simple one.

1. Euro has tanke down at least 10% on the dollar - yet European retailers selling in Euros - They have only increased their prices by 10% from original announcment.
2. Pound hasn't tanked, it's down 5% on the dollar - Yet UK retailers paying in pounds are asking for 25%+ higher than the original announcment.

You can compare appleas to oranges if there's a direct link as there is here

I came to the conclusion it's an anti consumer style setup, it's happened so many times recently with lucrative interesting PC hardware items, it doesn't happen in the European countries from respected retailers with big customer bases.

In the UK it does happen.

It's no big deal it would just be nice to know what's going on here, after all we pay less for AV stuff here than mainland Europe, but that's usually due to enforcement at dealer/manufacturer level - That - I can understand though totally disagree with.

My question really is if this is a distributor price gouging, or retailers price gouging, or both?

Consumers deserve some transparency.

Associate

The "announcement" of a £165 price was back in middle of december covered by multiple news outlets.

Soldato
The "announcement" of a £165 price was back in middle of december covered by multiple news outlets.

Every article I've seen says $260 or $270.

Unless you read articles written by muppets who live in a world where VAT doesn't exist, it was never £165.

The same muppets would have given you a very low euro price as well.

edit:

Oh look I've found one of those incorrect articles.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132015-you-ll-never-believe-how-much-seagate-s-8tb-hard-drives-cost

Supply/Demand means the market price is more like $300 in the US. Which with current exhange rates and 20% VAT is far higher than £165.

Last edited:
Associate
Every article I've seen says $260 or $270.

Unless you read articles written by muppets who live in a world where VAT doesn't exist, it was never £165.

The same muppets would have given you a very low euro price as well.

edit:

Oh look I've found one of those incorrect articles.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132015-you-ll-never-believe-how-much-seagate-s-8tb-hard-drives-cost

Supply/Demand means the market price is more like $300 in the US. Which with current exhange rates and 20% VAT is far higher than £165.

Good point on the £165 pricing, the news outlets covering it weren't the most technical in nature.
My point is only using that as a reference though.
There WERE european retailers listing it for this price back then, obviously it has since gone up, as you'd expect.

I don't want to get into muddy turf as mentioning competitor prices is against the rules.
However without going too far that way...
From that original £165 it has changed to £185-£195 roughly for European retailers.
For UK retailers it starts at well over £210.
There is no justification for this from my perspective, please feel free to explain and agian this isn't an argument :)
If one then factors in that it's the Euro that has crashed - Not the pound against the dollar, surely this should be the other way round.

UK £185-£195
EU £210+

None of it makes any sense.

Associate
We don't get these in euros we get them in dollars. this is where the pricing has come from. Seagate is deal in dollars as it is a global company so all pricing is done in dollars. The Euro has had no influence on this pricing.

I am working to bring the pricing down where possible but this is the current pricing I have.

Caporegime

The question was what would happen to retailers due to the change in exchange rate. I very much doubt retailers would have paid months in advance so RRP/reported prices have little to do with what retailers would be paying for the drives and the loss/profit they will make due to exchange rate changes.

As Lord Barrass said you agree a price and pay in $ (as opposed to £), I assume a few days before delivery, so to answer the actual question asked, in this situation the only variation will be a couple of cents and not really an issue for retailers at this time.

If they end up with stock for a couple of months and the exchange rate swings significantly, such as over the last couple of months then there are probably issues. I'm guessing most retailers won't be be getting that much stock however...

Soldato
We don't get these in euros we get them in dollars. this is where the pricing has come from. Seagate is deal in dollars as it is a global company so all pricing is done in dollars. The Euro has had no influence on this pricing.

I am working to bring the pricing down where possible but this is the current pricing I have.

Can you shed any light on the delay?

Associate

Thanks for the response :)

Back
Top Bottom