Seeing SetiClassic off in style!

Associate
MGP said:
Bear in mind the Xeons are rated at 2.8Ghz, which will be slower than your P840EE.

SetiQueue currently suggests around 2 hours 50 minutes to do a WU. That's 8 WUs every 2 hours 50. :cool: :D

At the moment the server is still idle as it's being loaded up and configured, so this will drop off a little.
Be carful when using the XEON name globally, as the older non-Nocona systems are Buss Speeds of 533Mhz, and FSB's of 133Mhz, and the L2 cache is typically only 512MB, and RAM bing that of PC2100 or at best PC2700.

There's a big difference between the 840EE system with L2 cache allocaitons of 1MB, higher bus speeds and faster RAM. I don't have an 840EE to benchmark, so it would be nice to see what you come up with running 4 instances of classic.

To be fair, my Pentium-M is running faster < allot faster > than all of my XEON machines. All bit it, the XEON's are running 4 instances of the core. I'm
getting 8 - 10 WU's per day from the ole laptop, which isnt' bad considering it's a first generation Pentium-M. If These could run in an HT fassion, It'd be loading up with these buggers.

For those of you running 478 Motherboards OcUK have added this neat little device from Asus:

ASUS CT-479 CPU Adaptor

Which allows you to pop in a Pentium-M into a 478 socket / motherboard. Very effecient little chips for processsing numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
KE1HA said:
Which allows you to pop in a P4-M into a 478 socket / motherboard. Very effecient little chips for processsing numbers.
Centrino chips are indeed very good for crunching numbers because of the large cache and the fact it's not really a P4 core but more a modified PIII core which is far better than the (failed) P4 core (puts on flameproof jacket :o )

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
KE1HA, when you say P4-M do you mean Pentium Mobile or Pentium 4 Mobile? Those are two very different chips. The PM is found in the Centrino chipset/cpu/wifi bundle and ere extraordinarily efficient crunchers both in terms of power sue and computations per clock cycle. The P4-M is a standard P4 desktop chip with a few mods to allow it to use less power. It is also missing its integrated heat spreader.

I'm thinking you meant PM but I'm known to be wrong.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
KE1HA said:
Be carful when using the XEON name globally, as the older non-Nocona systems are Buss Speeds of 533Mhz, and FSB's of 133Mhz, and the L2 cache is typically only 512MB, and RAM bing that of PC2100 or at best PC2700.

Yep fair enough. These Xeon Dual Core HTs are very new to the market. They are 800Mhz Bus, 2x2MB integrated L2 cache for DDR2-400 Memory.

It's a little bit like saying somthing is a Pentium processor, there are so many variants.

Oh by the way, I think I'll give you a little PARP. Should overtake you later today or early tommorrow. :D

Associate
MGP said:
Yep fair enough. These Xeon Dual Core HTs are very new to the market. They are 800Mhz Bus, 2x2MB integrated L2 cache for DDR2-400 Memory.

It's a little bit like saying somthing is a Pentium processor, there are so many variants.

Oh by the way, I think I'll give you a little PARP. Should overtake you later today or early tommorrow. :D
OUCH !! ... that's a bit of a bugger, but I'm gladd were making progress ... :D

The main point about the P-M was, for as little as ~200 quid < OcUK prices >, one can reserect some of the old 1.8Ghz thru 2.8Ghz "P4 Non-HT" machines into descent number crunchers, provided there is BIOS support for them.

Last edited:
Associate
Whitestar said:
Im going to take 20 P4s away from folding and get them crunching. As with folding, no HT because of stupid windows 2000, but it should help our output.

MGP how fast are work units being crunched on your 8 thread Xeon monster? Im getting an average of 2 hours 30 mins for each thread on my P 840EE.

:/ I use HT on w2k? Just had to change the computer type under device manager to a multicpu machine.

Permabanned
I got a few old AMD systems crunching for the cause which should get 40-50 units a day if they run well.

XP2500-M @ 2353MHz
XP2100+ @ XP2700+
XP2500+ Sempron @ XP2600
single XP1700+MP@2250MHz - fried it's twin :'(
Tbird 1400 @ 1440MHz
PIII-450 @ 512MHz (every unit helps)

Man of Honour
I now have 2x P4 3.2, 1x P4 2.8, A64 3200+, P-M 1600, and a few other bits and pieces crunching away. Might move the Xeon over too next week.

Just hope they will be OK without the usual babysitting service for a while.

Permabanned
Is there a way/can anyone check that my wu's are being credited to OcUK?
I switched my account to OcUK on the 15/16 but i'm not showing on any of the stat pages yet and my seti page http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/[email protected]&cmd=user_stats_new
still has me down to my old team,even tho my user account details page has me at OCUK.
Don't want them going to the wrong place at this stage in the game :)

Man of Honour
Permabanned
I've removed myself from OcUK then rejoined again,see if i get moved this time.

Is this the right page to login and edit from for seti classic,or is there somewhere else i could do it,as my credits on this account page haven't been updated since Marcg 05
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/login_form.php

Could it be anything to do with me logging in with an account key rather than my password (which i doiubt i will be able to find) ?

Back
Top Bottom