Sega Dreamcast

Associate
I have two up in the loft. A UK PAL console and a Japanese multi region one. Stuff like the arcade stick, loads of VMUs (8 maybe) etc. Don’t particularly have a large game collection and it’s likely I may have sold some games about 16 or 17 years ago.

Apart from PSO (where the many VMUs came from!) my faves were some of the shooters - Border Down and Psyvariar 2. Had Skies of Arcadia too, definitely the NTSC one, might have had the PAL release too. It’s a long time ago now. Really need to get the consoles out of the loft, fond memories of the Dreamcast!

Soldato
dreamcast is great, and it helps that it plays backups really easily. Honestly it was the only reason i first got it ;)

not played it for years but still connected to my tv through a vga adapter then a hdmi converter.
Even made an arcade joystick for it back in the day with real happ parts.

I still remember walking past game and just staring at soul calibur playing on a tv in the window and was blown away.
Probably the first console which gave you arcade perfect games in your home (3D ones anyway)

Soldato
I had/have very fond memories of the Dreamcast. It still has, to this day (imo) the best tennis game ever created. Yes Virtua Tennis.

Also some great games. Blue Stinger, Sega Bass Fishing (with rod of course) House of the Dead with gun. Quake III. Craaaaaaaaazy Taxi. So many gems.

Associate
When I have some funds I will get myself back into the Dreamcast scene. It was an absolutely fantastic console, I literally spent thousands of hours on Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Sega Bass and Crazy Taxi.

Associate
I think the Dreamcast goes down as my favourite console of all time, I put in long hours on pretty much every game that I owned. I've been toying with the idea recently of buying a VGA/HDMI box and playing through some of them. The last time I fired it up was a a good five years ago now, but I had a wave of nostalgia when I found that my old PSO characters were still on the VMUs.

I remember being the only person I knew of who actually had one at the time, everybody else was on the PS1/N64 and were generally in awe whenever they came around and played on it. I eventually succumbed to the temptation of the PS2 and went into Gamestation thinking I could trade everything in and pick one up. I think they offered me something along the lines of £60-£70 for the console, two controllers, a couple of VMUs, light gun, keyboard and my whole collection of games. Their reasoning was that they were struggling to even sell everything at giveaway prices because of how popular the PS2 was, thank god I kept hold of it all.

When I eventually did get a PS2 years later it didn't even feel like an upgrade, save for a handful of games.

Even now writing this I keep remembering games I forgot I had, so many good memories...

Soldato
I'm rather late into the Dreamcast scene, I kinda missed the late 90s early 00s console era due to PC gaming. Having had an N64 for years and now having a PS2/3/4, XBONEX etc. I'm quite surprised at how good the DC is. I've only got a small collection of games so far (Sonic 1/2, House of the Dead 2, Sega Rally, Capcom vs SNK, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Sega GT and Soul Calibur) but I'm totally loving it.

I see some DC game prices are creeping up into silly figures, hopefully I can try the must haves before it's too late. Any other top game suggestions?

Soldato
I'm rather late into the Dreamcast scene, I kinda missed the late 90s early 00s console era due to PC gaming. Having had an N64 for years and now having a PS2/3/4, XBONEX etc. I'm quite surprised at how good the DC is. I've only got a small collection of games so far (Sonic 1/2, House of the Dead 2, Sega Rally, Capcom vs SNK, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Sega GT and Soul Calibur) but I'm totally loving it.

I see some DC game prices are creeping up into silly figures, hopefully I can try the must haves before it's too late. Any other top game suggestions?

Virtua Tennis (1 not 2) Best tennis game ever made.

Associate
Also Virtua Tennis 4 on Steam, though was taken off years ago I'm lucky to have it in my Steam library.

DC was awesome and they definitely pulled suppoet too soon. Could have lasted till 2004 easily.

Soldato
Crazy Taxi was definitely the best game on the dreamcast for me. Its also the only game where I ended up getting bored and putting the controller down and letting the timer run out, but then this was on a normal go and I had been playing for what must have been about an hour and was at the stage where I had loads of time and not a single passenger anywhere on the map to pick up. My housemates and I remember laughing about it at the time and then seeing a high score list in a games mag the following month and the crazy taxi high score was about half the score I had when I put the controller down. Never done so well on a game before or since and honestly have no idea how I managed to get so far into a single go that no passengers were left!!

Associate
The DC was ahead of it's time.

Sad it never took off as average Joe was waiting on a PS2.

I think Sega should enter the PC peripheral market i.e Mice, Keyboards, Cases, etc, even branded Sega GPU's would be very popular as they have the brand name.

Back
Top Bottom