Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Man of Honour
Looks like you been bizzy :D what is it?

"Balanced" headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD600 - each driver has an isolated active ground and power supply which in theory produces better results than when they are sharing a ground return as with normal amps. In theory should let me use the 600s nicely with the GSX 1000 and maybe reproduce surround better maybe.

So the cabling to the headphones instead of:

----------------- left wire
----------------- ground
----------------- right wire

it has:

----------------- left+ wire
----------------- left- wire

----------------- right+ wire
----------------- right- wire

and the electronics to support that in the amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
"Balanced" headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD600 - each driver has an isolated active ground and power supply which in theory produces better results than when they are sharing a ground return as with normal amps. In theory should let me use the 600s nicely with the GSX 1000 and maybe reproduce surround better maybe.

So the cabling to the headphones instead of:

----------------- left wire
----------------- ground
----------------- right wire

it has:

----------------- left+ wire
----------------- left- wire

----------------- right+ wire
----------------- right- wire

and the electronics to support that in the amp.

Excellent, I wouldn't even know we're to start with all that :D
look forward to your results.

Man of Honour
Would this work with Sennheiser RS165?

Says it can be connected to a 3.5mm headphone output so I can't see why not.

Excellent, I wouldn't even know we're to start with all that :D
look forward to your results.

Had a bit of an experiment using one of your videos as a reference earlier and seemed promising but not quite the same as actually having the device and playing myself. Unfortunately had a bit of an expensive Christmas so might not pick up the GSX until next pay day unless it happens to go on sale or something.

EDIT: As an aside I started here http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/ though a long way on from that now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^ Closer to £100 than £200 they'd be an absolute steal :|

EDIT: Just had a heads up I can get one through work at a nice discount :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah it was a pricing error upon further reading, but one that the retailer honoured! It has been dropping down to $160 for US and once this goes under £150 in the UK it would be easier to recommend. I'd imagine they may even drop a smaller lite version later on, screen and knob less just software driven.

Man of Honour
Mostly got the amp all done now - however not sure the HD600s are really going to work well with the GSX even so - having a play with some of the videos posted in this thread and CMSS-3D the slow unhurried nature of the drivers doesn't really seem to work the best.

nyhw9tD.jpg

YE9FDDI.jpg

Quite impressed with how it drives the HD600s - effortlessly responsive with a nice smoothness - slightly veiled though and I get the feeling like someone with a lot more knowledge than myself could really get some results out of it that I can't.

Soldato
Installed one of my old fav's the latest Rainbow Six, my god I felt like I was cheating, this game seriously shows off the GSX I swear if there wasn't objects and what not in the way I could shoot and hit people with my eyes closed, the detail is insane, worth a go!!

Associate
I've just ordered this, got it with £30 off direct from the manufacturer thanks to a discount code.

Can't wait until this arrives and I can see how it works with my BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro's!

Thank you Shankly for the videos and everything, you've been immense.

Soldato
OP
Installed one of my old fav's the latest Rainbow Six, my god I felt like I was cheating, this game seriously shows off the GSX I swear if there wasn't objects and what not in the way I could shoot and hit people with my eyes closed, the detail is insane, worth a go!!

Been also noticing a difference on Rainbow six, a game that before is quite tricky too pin point sound because of the new sound engine they using. With the GSX so far I have had no issue I can easy hear where people are coming from etc.

CSGO is also better now that am used to the sound difference although I need to play this game without any story mode etc just neutral otherwise the bass is too much and puts me off my aim.

I've just ordered this, got it with £30 off direct from the manufacturer thanks to a discount code.

Can't wait until this arrives and I can see how it works with my BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro's!

Thank you Shankly for the videos and everything, you've been immense.

Glad to help out :D look forward to your feedback :D Enjoy

Associate
I went from having the sound blaster zx to the sennheiser gsx 1000 and used it for a month and then sent it back and swapped it for a sound blaster zxr. I have a pair of sennheiser pc360's and some beyerdynamic dt770's and the beyer sound better than the pc360's on the sound blaster but on the gsx1000 the pc360's sound better. I haveto say the gsx1000 in battlefield 1 and 4 have a very good surround sound without the nasty empty hall echo sound which is good but I think overall sound quality is better on the sound blaster. also when I used it on other games it didn't sound right (not as good as sound blaster zx) so for double the price of a zx its not worth it and it cant run a 5.1 speaker system which I wasn't too worried about if the sound in headphones was soooo much better which it isn't so if you do buy one make sure u try all your games and get ready to maybe send it back.

Associate
I returned mine in the end. I love it but need my 650s connected and swapping out every time for music or gaming got old. Will defo jump on a future device if it support higher impedance headphones and sounds better with music. Failing that I'd be happy just to buy the software.

Associate
Hey guys, made an account just to ask this as I as somewhat confused by the GSX 1000.

Will the GSX allow any stereo to play 7.1 virtual surround? Or do I need headphones which support 7.1? Surely that is why 7.1 headphones have usb soundcards built in etc? to provide the functionality?

Also which headphones would you recommend for me to purchase alongside the GSX?

Many thanks

Sheddemon

Man of Honour
The GSX doesn't connect to headphones with multiple drivers aka 5.1 or 7.1 headphones - it takes a 7.1 audio source from the PC and then converts it into a virtual surround reproduction in stereo headphones.

It seems to work best with the Sennhesier PC 300 and 500 series from what people have reported.

Associate
The GSX doesn't connect to headphones with multiple drivers aka 5.1 or 7.1 headphones - it takes a 7.1 audio source from the PC and then converts it into a virtual surround reproduction in stereo headphones.

It seems to work best with the Sennhesier PC 300 and 500 series from what people have reported.

Okay thank you a lot. I new to the higher end of consumer/enthusiast products if thats what they would come under :p

Currently using Kingston HyperX Cloud's through my front panel connectors xD looking for something with a bit more quality and clearness to it. The gsx 1000 caught my eye because of the 7.1 which is so highly rated, it also looks damn cool.

Just another quick question, I was thinking of buying the ModMic to accompany chosen headphones. Would I have control over the modmic's settings etc through the gsx or would I be better off connecting the mic to the motherboard?

Thanks again

Shed

Associate
I've been using the GSX1000 for the last couple of months, and I think its a great little device.

Before this, I was using Logitech G35's, which to be honest we're pretty good.

But now, I use the GSX1000 with a pair of Sennheiser Game Zero's, and it sounds great.

These are closed back headphones, so I might try the open back equivalent (Game One's) just to see what I prefer.

I don't use many of the sound features on the GSX1000, I just select 7.1 or 2.0, and off I go.

But I do like the simplicity of the device, just plug it in, no drivers to install.

Back
Top Bottom