Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Soldato
OP
Do you have a DAC you can connect to the ADC to check it's working?

Hard to know what the problem might be without some troubleshooting.

If the ADC is working, then the problem must be on the SB Z side.

Have you tried using the SB Z optical in with anything else? Console for example.

Yeah used the optical in with ps4, sadly I not sure what else I can use for testing?
Maybe my phone 3.5 jack?

Soldato
Yeah used the optical in with ps4, sadly I not sure what else I can use for testing?
Maybe my phone 3.5 jack?

Well that rules out the SB Z optical in being at fault, if you can get sound by connecting a PS4. Still could be something to do with that, not so much a fault, just some incompatibility somewhere.

You could try a smartphone or anything else that has analogue audio output, instead of the GSX. Can't really see why the ADC wouldn't work with the GSX audio out, as it's just analogue as it would be from anything else with analogue audio out. Another thing to rule out though.

Without a DAC to connect to the ADC though, there's no way of knowing if it's actually working. The problem could lie with that.

Soldato
OP
Well that rules out the SB Z optical in being at fault, if you can get sound by connecting a PS4. Still could be something to do with that, not so much a fault, just some incompatibility somewhere.

You could try a smartphone or anything else that has analogue audio output, instead of the GSX. Can't really see why the ADC wouldn't work with the GSX audio out, as it's just analogue as it would be from anything else with analogue audio out. Another thing to rule out though.

Without a DAC to connect to the ADC though, there's no way of knowing if it's actually working. The problem could lie with that.

Will do more testing tomorrow and report back

Soldato
OP
Ok more testing and its not looking good.
First off I got this to work fine with phone, so I tested again with the GSX and this time it works. But here is the problem sending 7.1 from the GSX into Optical messes up the right and left, when a speaker test is played from the left it comes out of the right etc
They is also some noise on the output at 100% it sounds like wind not has bad has Line-In mind you and I could lower the volume down to 70% remove this.

But I cant fix the channels playing wrong side :(

So it looks like you cant take a virtual 7.1 3.5 jack into optical 2.0 and have it play correctly 7.1

Associate
Thanks for the review, interested in this for my setup as I generally play FPS games online. Wonder how well they would drive AKG K712 pro's...

Not very well going by what was said about the HD650. AKG's are insensitive and need more oomph than the Senn's do.

Ordered this yesterday, got a dispatch email earlier today. Will try running my AKG K712 pro direct, if they don't work/sound crap will try double amping, got a FiiO E17 and a Schiit Magni to try :)

OK, I've had the Sennheiser GSX 1000 for a couple of weeks now so thought it was time I gave a mini review.

-Build quality is great, its a lovely compact unit, fits in with my desk nicely.
-User interface is good, using a couple of the presets for the games i am currently playing, it all works well.
-Now the important part, what did it sound like with my headphones...

-Well unfortunately it couldn't drive my AKG K712 Pro's, just didn't sound great, really wasn't impressed and couldn't understand what other users in here were raving about :confused::(
So I tried "double amping," I tried both a Fiio E17 and a Schiit Magni 2 Uber, but I still wasn't happy, so plan B, I asked Santa for a pair of Sennheiser HD599's before I returned the GSX.

-Finally, listening Nirvana :) I could finally hear what it was other user's were talking about :D
-Surround sound is insanely good. BF1 is just amazing. The desert map from the BF1 beta is immense when the storm occurs. The level of detail that comes through is unbelievable, I can hear team mates running to the next flag and can pin point there position based off sound, I can tell when they are running on a grassy field, tarmac road or muddy field. Its really impressive.
-Titanfall 2 and Star wars Battlefront both sound great, have to use story mode with these or the sound is a little hollow/empty in FPS preset.
-Also tried the Resident Evil 7 demo, the sound is pant filling good with these, I can hear and pin point the location of the overfilled bath from out in the corridor.

Very happy with the sound quality of the GSX 1000 and HD599.

Only complaints would be the price of the GSX and the fact it couldn't run my AKG K712'2. Also the HD599's are a bit plastic, they don't feel like £200 headphones, paid £280 my AKG's and they feel better made and don't creak :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Great stuff :D nice feedback.
Did double amping have any added noise effects?

No, can't say it did. The daft thing is I only run GSX at 18 on volume and its loud enough for me so there's plenty of volume there, it just couldn't drive the AKG's effectively.

I did back to back tests at the weekend with the HD599 plugged into the GSX and the AKG K712's in the Schiit Magni connected to the GSX and the AKG's sounded no where near as good, all the intricate detail was missing.

Soldato
OP
No, can't say it did. The daft thing is I only run GSX at 18 on volume and its loud enough for me so there's plenty of volume there, it just couldn't drive the AKG's effectively.

I did back to back tests at the weekend with the HD599 plugged into the GSX and the AKG K712's in the Schiit Magni connected to the GSX and the AKG's sounded no where near as good, all the intricate detail was missing.

Man I game at 70% I must be going def :(

Soldato
OP
That sucks. Sennheiser really missed a window here..

They really could have built an eco-system around it with options for different headphone demands, consoles, etc.

Guess it all comes down to price to market, I have no doubt if this does well they will bring a GSX 2000 for example with added features.
Price alone on the GSX is already high, adding in more features will bring it even higher to the point would people even look at it?

Associate
Love mine for gaming; use with Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI headphones (now called SONOROUS VI).

BF1 and Star Wars Battlefront are immense - use story mode for both atm.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't have a GSX yet... but only been and done it :D

YAHsvNE.jpg

CiACUVQ.jpg

Surprisingly performance is pretty epic so will be interesting to see if it makes any difference for surround audio over a normal unbalanced amp.

Back
Top Bottom