Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Mine should be arriving today. Still not sure if I've made the right choice. My other option was a Schiit stack with HD650s. But as I focus more on gaming, I figured this was a better idea.

Out of interest: Could you connect the headphone output into a small headphone amp, and then run HD650s without a massive impact in quality from the GSX 1000? Or this that a bad idea? Maybe if someone has both they can test this ;)

For mainly gaming surely it has to be a better choice than the Schiit stack; which is great, but that would be a better choice if music was the main concern.

You could add an amp to give the HD650 some more juice, if you want. You'd be doing what's known as 'double amping' though, which is seen as not a particularly good idea by audio enthusiasts. Similar to people frowning at the use of audio splitters for headphones and speakers. Some people do that though and say they notice no degradation from the change in impedance.

Whether you'd notice any degradation or significant change by 'double amping', I don't know. Maybe some people would and some wouldn't, similar to those who notice no difference when using a 3.5mm audio splitter.

For mainly gaming surely it has to be a better choice than the Schiit stack; which is great, but that would be a better choice if music was the main concern.

You could add an amp to give the HD650 some more juice, if you want. You'd be doing what's known as 'double amping' though, which is seen as not a particularly good idea by audio enthusiasts. Similar to people frowning at the use of audio splitters for headphones and speakers. Some people do that though and say they notice no degradation from the change in impedance.

Whether you'd notice any degradation or significant change by 'double amping', I don't know. Maybe some people would and some wouldn't, similar to those who notice no difference when using a 3.5mm audio splitter.

I think off the top of my head its rated at 1vrms/32 ohm or something - hardly qualifies as double amping heh.

Probably gonna build myself an amp specifically for it if I get one as it would benefit from something that has good preservation of the surround like the opa1612, etc.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day these are available for purchase from Sennheiser in Canada.
They told me they were receiving a small amount of them today, and randomly gave me a 20% off promo code for their store.

Now if only it were available so I could put the code to use.
I'll probably pick up some HD599's too, since they appear to be the best thing from Senn that this Amp is capable of driving.
The Canadian price with 20% off for the HD599 is pretty good, equates to $177 USD.

Still hoping for someone to upload a video showcasing the implementation of the surround sound though, Shankly said they'd try this weekend.

Sadly I cant get recording to pick up the effect because the unit is doing the work outside the PC.
Rroff pointed out I could maybe try Mic input, but I honestly dont want to chance pushing to much power into a mic port.

Not being able to drive the 650 is a massive downer for this IMO....

Tbf its a gaming unit its main purpuse will be "gaming headphone" Well headphones with low ohms..

Talking about Ohms I have seen headphones offer different spec for this 300 vs 150 vs 50 ect What does say a 300 ohms offer that a 50 rating cant?

Like my Philips X1 get rated excellent reviews all round and they not hard to drive. The Senn Game Zero headphones are also ment to be very good.

How does one know what amps to look for when it comes to surround preservation? Doesn't seem like the easiest thing to research or to just throw in Google and hope to find anyone that knows what they're talking about.

That's unfortunate to hear, or in this case not hear... :cool:
Is it really that risky, considering this amp isn't even that powerful?

Am not sure? I would need to connect the headphone out from GSX to Mic input on say my sound card and then I could record that mic input?

Mic inputs normally low power? I just not sure about this type of stuff. And then again even the options on the mic input are lacking sampling and Bitrate etc

Not being able to drive the 650 is a massive downer for this IMO....

I thought this at first, but thinking about it more, I can understand why Sennheiser made it so it wasn't a great pairing with the 650's.

GSX is a product aimed at gamer's, most of which won't be using headphones such as the 650's. Sennheiser don't market the 650's as a gaming headphone; they are a music headphone aimed at 'audiophiles'. They have other headphones that come under the gaming category.

If they made the GSX so it performed great with their best headphones, then likely they would have had to put a considerably better amp in there, meaning more cost. It's not cheap as it is, so it wouldn't make a great deal of sense to do that, just for those few who use 650's for gaming.

Talking about Ohms I have seen headphones offer different spec for this 300 vs 150 vs 50 ect What does say a 300 ohms offer that a 50 rating cant?

Higher Ohm rated headphones I believe have thinner copper wire for the voice coil, meaning more windings, which in turn allows for finer tuning and details, leading to supposed better sound quality. That's probably a bit simplistic though, as it suggests all higher Ohm headphones will sound better than lower Ohm headphones, which isn't necessarily the case.

Some of the reviews on this things are lame...

Where is the real reviews from reputable sites?

Not some chump with purchase justification impulse...

Last edited:
With such a product as this, it's surprising there aren't any real proper reviews; unless it's because of a shortage of units that would normally be sent out for review sites

They is couple honest reviews on Rainforest, but I do agree people who given the product Free could be just saying its good for the fact they given it free.

I 100% agree with this review.. Now I not trying to drive high demanding headphones so for me so far I would give this 5/5.
Am hearing the reason no Review channels post is like above lack of product overseas. You would think Senn would have sent out review copies to big Audio channels etc!!

Anyway enough at the guess work, am 100% happy with the product and that's all that matters :D Take what you want from what I have said about it and the people here and 3 reviews on rainforest.

An average AMP/DAC packed with the Best gaming DSP currently available.
By Ruben on 11 Nov. 2016 4 stars out of 5
Verified Purchase
These are my impressions on a few days of testing the GSX 1000 that i bought immediately, when it announced it's release for 3rd November on amazon. As there is only 1 review currently, form an actual buyer not marked as "Vine Customer Review of Free Product", i feel that another honest and thorough review is needed.

This unit is marketed mostly for gamers, and it does a wonderful job at it's intended purpose. For virtual surround in first person shooters, i have yet to hear a DSP unit, which can match it's performance. The binaural technology implemented is no joke, and the sound is very much outside of your head when using it. I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD598SE for testing, as i feel that is closest to what the average owner of this products is going to connect it with.

So the DSP is great for creating an atmospheric and very real sounding audio environment. It can take a while to get used to, if like me, you're used to a stereo representation close to your ears. It can be slightly overwhelming with the level of information being thrown at you through the 7.1 surround. Over time however, we get used to it and it will certainly show itself to be vastly superior to any motherboard audio solution.

But here's the problem with it as i see it: It's marketed as an "amplifier", whereas i would call it a gaming dac with a headphone out attachhed, if that makes any sense. It provides a great DSP for immersive gaming, but the amplifier does not power demanding headphones very well and will sometimes require me to turn it up to near 100%, when watching videos on YouTube for example. It handles games and other things well, but for some videos where the volume is low for some reason or other, i would like a bit more power to spare, just in case.

I connected my HD800S just to try it and of course i don't expect anything from it, but it is a great test for any amplifier to be connected to a very demanding pair of headphones. The results were very much expected. Very harsh and uncontrolled presentation in music. The amplifier simply lacks the power and control, required for music. However, in less demanding tasks like Battlefield or Counter Strike, it was quite a nice experience and the GSX 1000 really showed it's strengths when very demanding material didn't expose it's weaknesses.

Again, this is only to test the limits of the unit and it is not a fair test for the intended purpose of the unit. However, at this price i would have liked it to at least show a bit more maturity and be more than a one-trick-pony for gaming.

As someone who is spoiled by high end audio equipment, it really pains me that the GSX 1000, does not have a optical output, so that people who only want to add the binaural DSP signal, to their existing audio setup, would be able to do so... And again, as the GSX 1000 is not a unit which excels at anything but it's DSP, it's would be great to be able to hook it up to much better amplifiers and dacs.

I must conclude that this product is for the hardcore gamers, with deep pockets and preference for pin point audio imaging and immersion above everything else. It's DSP beats out everything i've tried including, but not limited to: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Creative Sound BlasterX G5 and Asus Xonar Essence ST, which are some heavy-hitters in the computer audio market.

While it's sound quality is only as good as the G5, It's DSP simply beats out anything i've ever heard for gaming. It's pin point accurate and the sound stage is wall to wall. It's presented in a very natural manner compared to say the Essence ST, where the "room feeling" is too unnatural for my tastes. Luckily for anyone who purchases the GSX 1000, you can adjust the "room setting" among other things on the unit, enabling you to get your preferred surround experience. You won't have to settle for one specific surround presentation, as this one can do it all.

I always leave mine at 7.1 in gaming with headphones with all other effects turned off. The gamer, music and movie setting all sound unnatural. Gamer is very cold and sterile with no bass and only treble. Yeah, you can hear footsteps alright, but everything sounds completely sterile.
Music enhances both bass and treble because that's what the kids want and movie enhances only the bass when compared directly.
If i was to ever use one of them, it would be the movie setting, as it only gives a slight boost to the bass without making the treble harsh like the music setting. Depending on your taste, this can provide for a more immersive experience.

The front-and-back surround sound setting is useless. Why would you ever want your surround presentation is be biased towards sounding like everything is in front or behind you?

The reverb setting does nothing to my ears through 7.1 headphone gaming.

Overall, most of the DSP settings seem gimmicky to me. I much prefer to set it to headphone and 7.1 without adding anything extra. If you have a good pair of headphones, this should sound the most natural.

This little gaming beast, is great for it's intended purpose and the average gamer with entry to mid tier headphones will be blown away by it's performance, especially in first person shooters - You will never have heard your game sound quite like this before.

Where it disappoints, is as a serious audio reproduction tool able to do more than just gaming and casual movie watching with it's impressive 7.1 surround. I give the binaural DSP a solid 10/10 for gaming, especially in the FPS genre. As an amp/dac unit for great audio reproduction, i give it a 5/10. Don't think now that this product bad, it's only when compared to great audio equipment that i shows it's weakness. Any average/competitve gamer will be more than happy with this product and it's strengths heavily outweigh it's weakness, as you won't be buying the GSX 1000 for anything other than gaming, and for that purpose, i give the product as a whole a solid 8/10, considering it's great performance vs the asking price.

I only bring this up all of this snobby criticism because Sennheiser is the company that created this product and because of it's price of 199 gbp.

In conclusion, this product is a gamers dream and makes FPS players simply unload in their pants. But is it worth it to you?

4 stars. It excels at it's intended purpose. It's DSP is unmatched by anything i've ever heard. But because of the price, amplifier quality and lack of an optical output, it leaves a little to be desired by audio enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Ok just looked up and my sound blaster Z has Line in/Mic so I just tested and it recored the effect :D

So I will defo upload some video today.
Downside I wasn't able to hear the audio myself so i will just after roll with it!

Should I record a section say off Battlefield 1 each time on its own preset or do you want me to change them on the fly?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom