Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Soldato
OP
Just had my dispatch email :D
So far they is only couple reviews going around.. I have taken a gamble paying the price and see for myself just how good it is.. Knowing sennheiser I expect a quality product.

Man of Honour
There would have been a hell of a lot more user reviews out in the wild had they kept the initial RRP but I'm waiting for some decent comparisons from reviewers first as sound is subjective. :D

Its kind of strange - I'm not exactly short of cash but ~£120 was pretty much an instant blind buy, £199 for what it is I'm not in a hurry to spend even though there isn't a huge difference in the price as such.

Soldato
OP
Agreed £120 was an excellent price, I said I wouldn't make the gamble at £199 bit tbh I have trust in sennheiser that I firmly believe this could be the real deal..

Am no audio expert but I do know what positional audio should sound like I have used almost all virtual surround sound and they all have that horrible hall way echo effect..

This from what I gather doesn't have the echo effect so it should be good.

I'll give my honest feedback but not till I have had the unit for a week of so should have it by Wednesday.

Associate
£120 would have been nice but that puts it next to g5 and mixanp. Both of which are poorly built in comparison. £149.99 would have been a great starting price for this unit given the premium nature. I can see it being close to that in a few months. However there's simply nothing this good on the market, I'd buy it again in a flash at £200. I got the g5 for £90 and felt ripped off. This is such a lovely bit of kit. Both in build and functionality.

Soldato
OP
£120 would have been nice but that puts it next to g5 and mixanp. Both of which are poorly built in comparison. £149.99 would have been a great starting price for this unit given the premium nature. I can see it being close to that in a few months. However there's simply nothing this good on the market, I'd buy it again in a flash at £200. I got the g5 for £90 and felt ripped off. This is such a lovely bit of kit. Both in build and functionality.

Stop it! I cant wait till tomorrow :D not been this excited to try something in awhile..

Associate
Be sure to set up windows output straight away. It defaults to an out put that gives out sound but poorly with no 7.1, I'd imagine quite a few people haven't tweaked it, although if you follow the quick set up guide it tells you this. You have to click on the speaker icon labelled Gsx and set that to default. The default had a pair of headphones as the output its labelled gsx communication or something like that.

Any way. I hope I haven't got you too hyped. But I personally love it! I guess you'll get 14 days to work out if you so :) enjoy!

Soldato
OP
Yeah they is two USB option I believe one for amp audio and one for chat.
So if you setup teamspeak to use the communication one it will automatically split the chat audio from game audio..

This is a very nice feature if you record gameplay :D

Caporegime
Be sure to set up windows output straight away. It defaults to an out put that gives out sound but poorly with no 7.1, I'd imagine quite a few people haven't tweaked it, although if you follow the quick set up guide it tells you this. You have to click on the speaker icon labelled Gsx and set that to default. The default had a pair of headphones as the output its labelled gsx communication or something like that.

Any way. I hope I haven't got you too hyped. But I personally love it! I guess you'll get 14 days to work out if you so :) enjoy!

pics?

Soldato
OP
Build Quality and packaging is exceptional.. Feels really solid.. Now for testing :D

edit some pics
IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

IMAG0668.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Re size images 4000 x 3000 :p

Opps will do that maybe later haaa

Not all been plan sailing, not a fault with the unit more issue with my motherboard. Think I had too much all plugged into a USB hub because I could only get either audio or snowball microphone working at once.

So I put the gsx onto its own hub and that fixed it.

So far I have tested battlefield 1 and csgo they is defo an excellent surround sound going on, but my god they is so many options it's going to take a while getting used to it and finding what I feel is best :D

Happy too report though the echo effect can be disabled or enable too how you see fit while still keeping very decent positional audio.
Right now I feel story mode is the best, with most other settings on standard.

I'm terms of audio quality vs sound blaster z I not sure I notice a difference here apart from the gsx is much louder to my surprise.

One excellent feature is the separation of game audio and say teamspeak, can higher or lower each separate very nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So why hasn't anyone with this uploaded a YouTube video showcasing the surround?
I see a handful of reviews, a lot of text describing it.
Its surround is the only reason to buy it, so lets hear it.

From what am reading its not yet released in USA so the bigger audio review channels don't have review copies.

over the weekend am going to see if recording software will pick up the effects. Unlike the Soundblaster Z I had to use something called What U hear for me too record it.
This doesn't have that so we will se.

Soldato
I'm torn between this, an Essence STXII or Strix DLX, or a Shiit stack.

How is the sound quality in stereo with good quality headphones? I was looking at HD650s for the Schiit stack, but will probably run HD598s with this.

Soldato
OP
I'm torn between this, an Essence STXII or Strix DLX, or a Shiit stack.

How is the sound quality in stereo with good quality headphones? I was looking at HD650s for the Schiit stack, but will probably run HD598s with this.

Been listening to my pink floyd collection this morning in 2.0 stereo. it sound excellent to me just like sound blaster z tbh
not sure I notice a difference in sound quality using Philips X1 the key features for the GSX is gaming surround sound and so far I will say its the best I have heard.

So meany options to choose from, the fact I can now have virtual surround sound without that horrible Hallway echo effect is a massive plus from me.
I need more time with this to get a better understand how good it really is.

not had enough chance to play loads games yet though to test further but so far I enjoying it. Is it an upgrade over Sound Blaster Z??
I would say no based on Audio quality alone but I would defo say yes if its used for its gaming purpose.

So I would say to you if its more about gaming than music pick this! If its more about Music go with a AMP/DAC like Schiit

edit
The GSX Mannal has decent information what it can do
http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/7564/GSX1000_UserGuide_06_2016_version1.pdf

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool, report back soon! Running with some HD599s. Perfect combo! sounds superb. Forgot how good the HD598s were for gaming.

Are you using HD599s? Or HD598s? :p

Been listening to my pink floyd collection this morning in 2.0 stereo. it sound excellent to me just like sound blaster z tbh
not sure I notice a difference in sound quality using Philips X1 the key features for the GSX is gaming surround sound and so far I will say its the best I have heard.

So meany options to choose from, the fact I can now have virtual surround sound without that horrible Hallway echo effect is a massive plus from me.
I need more time with this to get a better understand how good it really is.

not had enough chance to play loads games yet though to test further but so far I enjoying it. Is it an upgrade over Sound Blaster Z??
I would say no based on Audio quality alone but I would defo say yes if its used for its gaming purpose.

So I would say to you if its more about gaming than music pick this! If its more about Music go with a AMP/DAC like Schiit

edit
The GSX Mannal has decent information what it can do
http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/7564/GSX1000_UserGuide_06_2016_version1.pdf

What headphones are you running with it? And what games have you been playing? My primary use is gaming, and the ability to have a separate channel for TS does really sound good.

Back
Top Bottom