Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Whats your budget?

I've done a ton of research on desktop headphone AMP/DAC combo's recently, I'm thinking of grabbing a Marantz HD-DAC1, seems to be a bit of an underrated AMP/DAC, the only really negative I've can find is the relay switches clicking and no RCA L&R input, outside of that it seems like a good buy for £560, plus is looks sexy as hell imo.

No budget really, but I do want a proper desktop setup. I would try the MoJo, but it is too small and would annoy me.

I like my UDH-01 but I do know the amp is a little lacking.

That Marantz looks nice!

I've also got a work colleague who has a very good friend who works for Naim. I am gently trying to persuade a conversation about whether they can get a staff discount for the Naim DAC-V1. That would be end game. :D

I should jump in this thread, my partner has bough me these for Christmas (they are being held at her office, I can't have them until Christmas :() to replace my HD 595's.

I can't wait. I'm curious though as I've always had low impedance earphones and headphones. So upping the gain to 'high' on my Xonar STX sounds horrible on my 595's obviously and way too loud. And not knowing how this works, I'd assume the 650's would be dead quite on a lower impedance than required?

Not necessarily dead quiet but you'd likely struggle to get a decent volume level and/or a good volume level with any "life" to the sound.

Not necessarily dead quiet but you'd likely struggle to get a decent volume level and/or a good volume level with any "life" to the sound.

Huh, I'm rather excited to experience it, as sad as that sounds.

Can't wait :D And I've just bought new pads for my 595's so my partner can have them, they have lasted over a decade. Absolutely amazing headphones.

If you are used to the 595s you might find the 650s a bit of a transition - the 595s are very much geared towards entertainment and listening enjoyment - the 650s are another league altogether and much less flattering towards the music.

If you are used to the 595s you might find the 650s a bit of a transition - the 595s are very much geared towards entertainment and listening enjoyment - the 650s are another league altogether and much less flattering towards the music.

Good, I hate headphones/sound systems that focus on altering the source sound.

So that excites me even further knowing these are going to be fantastic reference headphones.

Not looked in on sound city for quite some time and was surprised to see this post still on page 1. Coming up to 12 months since I got mine and still love them tho I don't get enough time to use them having a 16 month old.

Did you change your NAD mrk, didn't you have the 3020

I should jump in this thread, my partner has bough me these for Christmas (they are being held at her office, I can't have them until Christmas :() to replace my HD 595's.

I can't wait. I'm curious though as I've always had low impedance earphones and headphones. So upping the gain to 'high' on my Xonar STX sounds horrible on my 595's obviously and way too loud. And not knowing how this works, I'd assume the 650's would be dead quite on a lower impedance than required?

I'm currently listening to the latest Metallica album and the loudest comfortable (for me) volume levels for the three gain settings are:

Normal (<64 ohms): Vol = 80%
High gain (64 to 300 ohms): Vol = 50%
Very high gain (300 to 600 ohms): Vol = 30%

I normally use it on High gain with the HD650s as they just sound better, probably because the extra voltage swing lets them breathe and the result is a fuller sound with more slam in the low end. :cool:

No budget really, but I do want a proper desktop setup. I would try the MoJo, but it is too small and would annoy me.

I like my UDH-01 but I do know the amp is a little lacking.

That Marantz looks nice!

I've also got a work colleague who has a very good friend who works for Naim. I am gently trying to persuade a conversation about whether they can get a staff discount for the Naim DAC-V1. That would be end game. :D

Yes the Naim is very nice, I think if I was upping my budget over the Marantaz it would be Audiolab M-DAC+ @ £800, then the Oppo HA-1 @ £1200, then maybe the Naim!

I'd love to try the Schiit Jotunheim but with no straight line out that is a no no for me, plus I don't think the EU store have the DAC modules in anyway.

Last edited:
Well after months’ research, reading reviews and generally confusing myself with what to buy, I’ve ended up with this. :eek::D

This Schiit is Banana's :D

IMG_1595_zpsshs6ro70.jpg

Schiit Audio - Vali 2 Headphone Amp
Schiit Audio - Modi Multibit DAC
Chord C-Line Interconnects

Thank you for all helpful forum people who recommend Schiit Audio, as I am completely over the moon with this setup. It's really brought these HD650's to life and in some tracks, it’s really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Well after months’ research, reading reviews and generally confusing myself with what to buy, I’ve ended up with this. :eek::D

This Schiit is Banana's :D

IMG_1595_zpsshs6ro70.jpg

Schiit Audio - Vali 2 Headphone Amp
Schiit Audio - Modi Multibit DAC
Chord C-Line Interconnects

Thank you for all helpful forum people who recommend Schiit Audio, as I am completely over the moon with this setup. It's really brought these HD650's to life and in some tracks, it’s really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

This is the exact setup I was looking at. But my budget wouldn't allow so I bought a Xonar STX for now. But give me a few months and I'll be joining you :D

Did you go uber by the way?

What about the Schiit Jotunheim with the dual AK4490 (top of the range) DAC module?
Ludicrous amounts of power, true balanced design all of the way through, balanced and single ended output for both headphones and (pre-out) speakers.
It's a lot of kit for about £500 (£385 + DAC module).

http://schiit.eu.com/dacs/Jotunheim

I might have to sneak this onto my desk once we have moved house. Seems like a good option.

I've always been a fan of Schiit for their sound quality but I've always been annoyed at how they handle treble but the Modi M and Vali 2 has the most effortless, naturally smooth treble I've heard from Schiit. These attributes are perfect for the HD650 as it also has the smoothest treble in the world of headphones. Vocals are so airy and engaging they just breathe.

Back
Top Bottom