Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Associate
OP
The HD6XX is good deal if you live in the states but you can get the 650 for like £230 new over here.

I do wonder if the HD6XX will be slightly lower grade to the HD650 maybe cheaper materials? Just speculation but I'm curious. Not sure what I think of the colour yet but the cable looks ideal.

Soldato
The HD6XX is good deal if you live in the states but you can get the 650 for like £230 new over here.

I do wonder if the HD6XX will be slightly lower grade to the HD650 maybe cheaper materials? Just speculation but I'm curious. Not sure what I think of the colour yet but the cable looks ideal.

249 on amazon atm

more concerning is the price of the 600 on amazon :s

Associate
OP
Jaysus £370! I do think the 600 series has always been underpriced compared to competition but the 600 has always been £200-220 so that's a big jump. That's the highest price increase I've seen on Amazon for headphones.

Surprised the 650 has had a dramatic increase since it's more popular. Amazon are weird sometimes.

Soldato
Should be right up your street, it's supposed to be more musical and less detail oriented than their AK4490 based DACs. I was close to buying one when they first came out but couldn't justify the cost as I had other things that needed money being thrown at. :D

Associate
OP
Yeah I've heard people mention that which attracted me to it. The warmer Schiit gear has never really been disappointing. I nearly bought the Schiit Jot as well but it would end up being too aggressive and metallic up top which is what most reports suggest but apparently the micro detail and resolution on the Jot is great. The Modi M and Vali 2 should be a great paring.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Still can't get over how amazing acoustic female vocals sound on the 650s. Most especially Spaceship (Popvilla Sessions) by Comet Blue :cool:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Still can't get over how amazing acoustic female vocals sound on the 650s. Most especially Spaceship (Popvilla Sessions) by Comet Blue :cool:

I've just listen to that and its pretty amazing, that's one to add to the list. :D:eek:

Associate
OP
That's what I have gone with, I am still deliberating over the amp at the moment.... :o

The Jot looks like it would be a good match if you don't mind Schiits typical aggressive sound. I'm more of a smoother treble, warm and engaging fan so the Vali series is the path I'll always go. The Valhalla2 is good if you want to bring out those details and resolution that the 650 is capable of. I find the Asgard 2 a bit redundant because the Magni 2U replaces it IMO. Lyr2 is a bit too overly warm in a boring way but so it depends on the headphones uses it's great with the HD700 and some AKGs that need the added warmth.

The good thing about Schiit gear is they don't really compete with each other and even the cheaper gear is as good as the expensive gear in areas. I also like the fact that the Vali 2 and Magni series. stack nicely on the ModiM.

Associate
OP

Vocals are incredible on the 650. What I also love most in the treble is the smoothest on any headphone I've heard. Every other headphone has treble issues whether it's peaks or unevenness. I also love how it just outright competes with my HD800 winning in some areas.

Soldato
I'm looking for a new set of headphones (and a mic) for gaming and music. These looks insanely good. I was trying to follow the discussion on soundcards, but got a bit confused regarding the STXII and the DLX. Which card is the DLX? I had a Xonar Xense card (second hand) but the headphone and mic ports are badly damaged now, and I need a new soundcard. I would prefer an Asus card, as I use the Xonar switch app and drivers from MaxedTech.

Soldato
Ace thanks. I thought it might have been that card. But I wasn't sure. I will go and read a bit more, but I'm assuming that the box allows you to switch between headphones and the speakers easily? This is what I currently do with the XonarSwitch app on my PC.

Back
Top Bottom