Sent the wrong item back to Amazon and they binned it.

Caporegime
one internal manager I spoke to said the same basically, he said it makes no sense that they are planning to bin it and he said he is going to email them and try and arrange it';s return.

Sadly everyone else I spoke to said that "amazon lacks the resources to ship returns back to people" are you ** Fully Star out all swearing serious??

This reminds me of an issue with paypal. Apparently they refused or changed a payment like 5 months after I made it. Was like $10 for a game or something and years and years ago now. They asked me to pay and I said, send me details and I'll make a payment. They kept saying I have to send a cheque because they have no facility for me to pay the $10 to them........................................ PAYPAL, have no facility for me to make an online payment... to themselves.

I literally ignored it, they locked my account and did nothing beyond that. This was maybe 10 years ago and I've never written a cheque in my life, haven't had a chequebook since I was like 8 or something and they are an online payment company but wouldn't let me pay online. As stupid as a company that ships millions of things daily saying they have no facility to send something to you.

There is lazy and then there is purely incompetent. as others have said, small claims court, they'll probably not even show and you'll win or they'll pay out or send a new card when they receive notice of small claims as it will cost them less than actually sending a lawyer out for several hours to deal with it, a LOT less than the lawyer. Companies will try to save every penny and get out of every inch of unnecessary work but as soon as you make it undeniable they'll have to put in some effort they'll chose the cheapest option.

It was checked against the expected serial number. Once it failed that first basic check, RMA would have been refused, and any other company would simply have returned it back to the customer (usually charging them). I don't know of any other company that would automatically destroy any refused RMA. What if the customer then wanted to return it to the manufacturer instead of the retailer?

Same deal, I worked at a OCUK competitor donkeys years ago for a while. If someone returned something without an RMA number we'd either return it to any included return address or if there was other information try to contact them to save the effort of wasteful shipping. But we never just received items and threw them in the bin, there is just no sense to even doing that. It's a liability. If something is sent incorrectly to you afaik you have some level of duty of care and to let a company resolve it. Like if they contact you and say they mistakenly sent something if they retrieve it within a reasonable time and not at your cost you can't just throw stuff out and or should anyone want to but if you get sent something you have no duty to look after it for any length of time without any contact or contact but them insisting you send it back or taking way too long to arrange collection.

99% of companies as you say would just return it or refuse to accept the package in the first place if there is no RMA number on the packaging precisely because it avoids liability issues and customers who send things back randomly. You just blanket don't accept such parcels and let the customer RMA it properly once they get it back. The idea of accepting things then just throwing them out for no reason is pretty much absurd and likely illegal in some way, unless as stated they held it for a reasonable length of time with no contact and no way to return it.

Associate
OP
This reminds me of an issue with paypal. Apparently they refused or changed a payment like 5 months after I made it. Was like $10 for a game or something and years and years ago now. They asked me to pay and I said, send me details and I'll make a payment. They kept saying I have to send a cheque because they have no facility for me to pay the $10 to them........................................ PAYPAL, have no facility for me to make an online payment... to themselves.

I literally ignored it, they locked my account and did nothing beyond that. This was maybe 10 years ago and I've never written a cheque in my life, haven't had a chequebook since I was like 8 or something and they are an online payment company but wouldn't let me pay online. As stupid as a company that ships millions of things daily saying they have no facility to send something to you.

There is lazy and then there is purely incompetent. as others have said, small claims court, they'll probably not even show and you'll win or they'll pay out or send a new card when they receive notice of small claims as it will cost them less than actually sending a lawyer out for several hours to deal with it, a LOT less than the lawyer. Companies will try to save every penny and get out of every inch of unnecessary work but as soon as you make it undeniable they'll have to put in some effort they'll chose the cheapest option.

Same deal, I worked at a OCUK competitor donkeys years ago for a while. If someone returned something without an RMA number we'd either return it to any included return address or if there was other information try to contact them to save the effort of wasteful shipping. But we never just received items and threw them in the bin, there is just no sense to even doing that. It's a liability. If something is sent incorrectly to you afaik you have some level of duty of care and to let a company resolve it. Like if they contact you and say they mistakenly sent something if they retrieve it within a reasonable time and not at your cost you can't just throw stuff out and or should anyone want to but if you get sent something you have no duty to look after it for any length of time without any contact or contact but them insisting you send it back or taking way too long to arrange collection.

99% of companies as you say would just return it or refuse to accept the package in the first place if there is no RMA number on the packaging precisely because it avoids liability issues and customers who send things back randomly. You just blanket don't accept such parcels and let the customer RMA it properly once they get it back. The idea of accepting things then just throwing them out for no reason is pretty much absurd and likely illegal in some way, unless as stated they held it for a reasonable length of time with no contact and no way to return it.

exactly, I dont see how it can be legal at all. Which is why I find it funny how they never mention it as my property, always "unidentified card, or card with incorrect serial number" Also annoying when people are moaning at me saying i'm in the wrong for expecting amazon to help me and why one guy told me I was stupid for getting angry.
I would imagine this must be a fairly common thing, people sending back laptops with stuff attached by accident etc.
one person assked if it was a hard drive when i first mentioned it, and later explained how they have a service (that costs) where they will delete the data off drives sent by accident, but wont return them.

They have tehe facility to do that, but wont return items. just odd. just typical it happened when it did as well as all the management I was dealing with are prob away till tuesday now, I emailed the customer service manaager for amazon who is probably away till tuesday now as well. prob get binned before they all returm. :(

Associate
OP
Got an email from customer service manager this morning saying they don't think the card can be returned. But they are going to try and help me out somehow whether that's with a refund of the product or some other way they aren't sure.

I didn't ask for that so please don't post any more of the "customer asking Amazon to pay for his mistakes" rubbish. But I will be hugely greatful if they can do something like that.

Associate
OP
Still seems insane that they can't return it. Hope they do come through for you.
So do I lol. Yeah I really dont get it. Person on email asked me for full specs of the card and for the invoice etc (not sure why she cant get it from my account, but hey ho) so they can check the specs I give against the card I sent to fully check its the card I claim it is...then they are going to see what they do to help.
If they can do that just stick it in a damn box. lol it makes no sense at all!

Soldato
So do I lol. Yeah I really dont get it. Person on email asked me for full specs of the card and for the invoice etc (not sure why she cant get it from my account, but hey ho) so they can check the specs I give against the card I sent to fully check its the card I claim it is...then they are going to see what they do to help.
If they can do that just stick it in a damn box. lol it makes no sense at all!
Maybe the issue with them not being able to return it is that they are past the point of knowing which card exactly it is that you returned, and because it was returned labelled as faulty they cant reasonably send out the item again, even if they could pin point the exact card.

Seems weird yes, but what if they did send back out the exact card you sent them that wasn't faulty, but this time it was faulty. That would leave them in a position where they have provided a faulty good that you could then return.

As it is likely an extremely rare occurrence, there is likely no waiver policy to allow you to waive amazon of all responsibility for said card.

Associate
OP
Maybe the issue with them not being able to return it is that they are past the point of knowing which card exactly it is that you returned, and because it was returned labelled as faulty they cant reasonably send out the item again, even if they could pin point the exact card.

Seems weird yes, but what if they did send back out the exact card you sent them that wasn't faulty, but this time it was faulty. That would leave them in a position where they have provided a faulty good that you could then return.

As it is likely an extremely rare occurrence, there is likely no waiver policy to allow you to waive amazon of all responsibility for said card.

They knew which one it was from the serial number. (I mentioned in correspondence which was which)
And they said many times they couldn't identify the working card as the faulty one as it didn't match the serial number the faulty one. So they certainly can tell which is which.

Associate
Are you telling me that if I bought something from Amazon and returned it in the post without first completing the returns form, I would get no refund and just lose the item? That's all that has happened here (ignoring the faulty card that does have a valid returns form).

Doesn't sound right to me and I bet it happens all the time where people just return stuff in the post without doing anything else.

OP, I feel like you're overcomplicating it by bringing in the card that you have been refunded for. You have three good was of dealing with it:

1) Tell them that you returned a card without having first done the returns form not realising you had to do one.
2) Tell them that you thought you had to return the whole order, not just the one faulty card.
3) Tell them that you thought the returns form had covered both cards that needed to be returned but somehow there has been a mistake somewhere and it has only covered one.

Rather than pushing for your particualar card to be sent to you (this seems to be the issue as it is outside the norm), just push for a refund like you would get if you returned anything to an online store. Then just reorder from fresh.

Soldato
They knew which one it was from the serial number. (I mentioned in correspondence which was which)
And they said many times they couldn't identify the working card as the faulty one as it didn't match the serial number the faulty one. So they certainly can tell which is which.
Ok but they cannot guarantee that the working card is actually working, and there in lies the problem from a processing perspective.

Associate
OP
Ok but they cannot guarantee that the working card is actually working, and there in lies the problem from a processing perspective.
True, but that shouldnt matter to them. it was never supposed to go to them. if they cant guarantee its working, they should let me do a return on it as faulty and refund me, or send a replacement. but they wont.they are refusing anything. (well one lady is saying there might be help, but now saying she isnt sure if there is anything they can do at all)
At the moment im still without a card and without the money.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Plot twist:

Retailer agree to return GPU. GPU then gets damaged in the post, on the return journey. OP cries.

Soldato
not read the whole of this thread, but the last time I dealt w/ an RMA [suspected faulty card] they found no error and returned it to me [charging me]. i'd have thought Amazon would do the same, BUT, I wonder if the whole scam society situation has stopped some of that, in that they return a working card and the buyer then claims it's broken, etc.

Associate
OP
Just in case anyone is interested the customer service manager for Amazon got in contact with me today and apologized for the way things have been handled and my card is being returned special delivery Friday. I can breathe again. Just gotta hope they were gentle with it.
I do wonder if the fact I had emailed him to say I was considering taking my story to the BBC with copies of the all correspondence had anything to do with it?

Associate
OP
not read the whole of this thread, but the last time I dealt w/ an RMA [suspected faulty card] they found no error and returned it to me [charging me]. i'd have thought Amazon would do the same, BUT, I wonder if the whole scam society situation has stopped some of that, in that they return a working card and the buyer then claims it's broken, etc.

That's possibly what it is. There was obviously some reason they didn't want to. But they can't just refuse to return someone's property. They agreed to return it now. So I just hope it isn't broken.
Otherwise I'm gonna have an impossible time proving it was working when I sent it. Literally impossible. I would just have to RMA it in that case.

Soldato
Threads like this just remind me how so many members simply don't read what has been said numerous times only to blame OP for all the mistakes they didn't make, besides sending the wrong card to Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom