Sent the wrong item back to Amazon and they binned it.

Associate
OP
Just noticed @Monkeyboysteve you're also dealing with the £15 cash-in-a-box Gigabyte 1080 Ti RMA scam. Bad times indeed..
That was a while ago, I never actually sent it, just sold the motherboard for parts. amazingly someone bought it (an AX370 board) for like £60 in may despite the fact it wouldn't post.

Had loads of error codes that werent in the book, and gigabyte didnt know what they were at first either... good old gigabyte.

Man of Honour
That was a while ago, I never actually sent it, just sold the motherboard for parts. amazingly someone bought it (an AX370 board) for like £60 in may despite the fact it wouldn't post.

Had loads of error codes that werent in the book, and gigabyte didnt know what they were at first either... good old gigabyte.

The honest truth is Gigabyte globally isn't that well regarded at best very average rating in other regions compared to here - for some reason for many years here in the UK we got a good solid level of quality and service from them, none the least thanks to 1-2 reps like the one here, but sadly last few years the experience in the UK is slipping back towards what they are better known for in other countries :( I for one will be looking to other manufacturers probably come my next purchases despite being a GB fanboy for many years.

Associate
OP
The honest truth is Gigabyte globally isn't that well regarded at best very average rating in other regions compared to here - for some reason for many years here in the UK we got a good solid level of quality and service from them, none the least thanks to 1-2 reps like the one here, but sadly last few years the experience in the UK is slipping back towards what they are better known for in other countries :( I for one will be looking to other manufacturers probably come my next purchases despite being a GB fanboy for many years.
I always went with GB for Graphics cards and apart from one asus mobo, they were all gigabyte as well, even now I have an Aorus master mobo and 1080ti. but i dread them going wrong in case I have to deal with the customer service again.

Its the little things as well, Asus have live chat and a phone number, very basic things... gigabyte have neither, it was email only (for the UK) which is just insane, how can they not have a phone number on the website?

Man of Honour
I don't have a high opinion of Asus either - I actually took a hammer to an expensive Asus motherboard just to be rid of the whole sorry saga once after they sent me 3 dead boards as replacements in a row - each of them taking around 28 days to arrive. Stupidly many years later I bought the Asus ROG Swift (at the time no one else was doing a comparable monitor though :( ) and had the same experience more or less.

Associate
OP
I don't have a high opinion of Asus either - I actually took a hammer to an expensive Asus motherboard just to be rid of the whole sorry saga once after they sent me 3 dead boards as replacements in a row - each of them taking around 28 days to arrive. Stupidly many years later I bought the Asus ROG Swift (at the time no one else was doing a comparable monitor though :( ) and had the same experience more or less.
To be fair, whern I think back to my "good experience" with Asus, it was amazon (ironically considering this post) that saved the day as Asus wouldnt honour the warranty for some reason, whereas amazon would. it had a duff memory lane and I had sold it on ebay to someone and he returned it, i think because I told asus that (for some reason) they said it invalidated my warranty and said I couldnt claim, whereas amazon gave me a full refund after 5 years.

Caporegime
Tried already, lloyds said if you send back the incorrect itrm and amazon refuse to refund because of it... you cant chargeback.

I think you've made things way more difficult for yourself here, you've sent back an item for a refund, Amazon hasn't refunded you or returned the item - though bit odd that you've already tried a credit card chargeback before exhausting all possibilities at Amazon first??? I suspect your card provider is potentially able to shell out here if needed.

Given the way you've seemingly described this in here and have apparently handled it I'm wondering if some of this farce is simply down to you too (beyond the initial mistake).

Associate
OP
I think you've made things way more difficult for yourself here, you've sent back an item for a refund, Amazon hasn't refunded you or returned the item - though bit odd that you've already tried a credit card chargeback before exhausting all possibilities at Amazon first??? I suspect your card provider is potentially able to shell out here if needed.

Given the way you've seemingly described this in here and have apparently handled it I'm wondering if some of this farce is simply down to you too (beyond the initial mistake).

I tried a chargeback after I was told by 3 people in a row that my card had already been disposed of.
I was refused as stated above. It was only after several more angry chats that I started chatting to someone that told me it hadn't been disposed of yet and that it had been sidelined.

How have I made things more difficult for myself? What could I have done differently?apart from one man no-one at Amazon has been willing to help.

The card company won't "shell out" as I already explained above.

Caporegime
Well going for a charge back immediately before escalating with amazon, not just keeping things simple with CS people in the first place.

Why are you having "angry chats" with them - it isn't going to solve anything if you start getting angry with some low paid call centre worker in India who isn't likely being malicious but is either following a procedure or has made a mistake.

A credit card charge back is something you try after you've exhausted the issue with a retailer - that doesn't mean after bashing your keyboard/getting worked up with yet another person in a CS chat. I'd simply escalate/write to e-mail whatever address you can find for their UK head office and explain the situation clearly, perhaps get someone else to read the letter/e-mail first too.

God knows what you've actually said to your card company to have them immediately fob you off too but it seems that you're perhaps not very good at dealing with this stuff, I'd seriously suggest that you get a relative or friend to guide you in your next bit of communication.

Associate

He seems to have handled it remarkably politely judging by his temperament here, if a little despairingly / negatively regarding his prospects of a positive outcome. Only in his latest post has he indicated a hint of anger in his chats. If I were him I'd be frothing at the mouth at the idea Amazon are going to 'bin' (aka resell on Amazon Warehouse or allow an employee to take home as 'lost property') his card, all because he returned the wrong one of his twin graphics cards ordered from Amazon.

I for one doubt I'll be ordering from Amazon again on any high margin item if this is the way they're going to treat their customers. I've heard horror stories of third party sellers being subject to the lash of the whip on Amazon, as well as seen the scam products/prices Amazon allows on their site through hacked/fake third party sellers. As far as I'm concerned sounds like they should go back to selling books, and definitely not be as far up the rich list as it is.

Associate
OP
Well going for a charge back immediately before escalating with amazon, not just keeping things simple with CS people in the first place.

Why are you having "angry chats" with them - it isn't going to solve anything if you start getting angry with some low paid call centre worker in India who isn't likely being malicious but is either following a procedure or has made a mistake.

A credit card charge back is something you try after you've exhausted the issue with a retailer - that doesn't mean after bashing your keyboard/getting worked up with yet another person in a CS chat. I'd simply escalate/write to e-mail whatever address you can find for their UK head office and explain the situation clearly, perhaps get someone else to read the letter/e-mail first too.

God knows what you've actually said to your card company to have them immediately fob you off too but it seems that you're perhaps not very good at dealing with this stuff, I'd seriously suggest that you get a relative or friend to guide you in your next bit of communication.
1 live chat where someone accused me of fraud and then 2 phone calls . Not all live chats. And it was angry phone calls because they told me the card had already been disposed of. Would you remain calm? This was to internal team managers. This was the escalation. I was told there was nothing else that would be done and I wouldn't be getting a refund. It was them that told me to go to my bank and get the refund because they wouldn't be offering me one.

I told the card company exactly what happened. It's policy apparently that if a refund isnt being offered because it was a wrong item sent back then a chargeback can't be offered.

It's ironic because you accuse me of ”not being very good at dealing with this stuff" whereas you are coming across as far more rude than I did. Maybe you need a relative or carer to read your comments before you post them?

Or maybe you need to read through the thread properly before posting again. Or maybe again you could just scroll past and go away.

Associate
OP
He seems to have handled it remarkably politely judging by his temperament here, if a little despairingly / negatively regarding his prospects of a positive outcome. Only in his latest post has he indicated a hint of anger in his chats. If I were him I'd be frothing at the mouth at the idea Amazon are going to 'bin' (aka resell on Amazon Warehouse or allow an employee to take home as 'lost property') his card, all because he returned the wrong one of his twin graphics cards ordered from Amazon.

I for one doubt I'll be ordering from Amazon again on any high margin item if this is the way they're going to treat their customers. I've heard horror stories of third party sellers been subject to the lash of the whip on Amazon, as well as seen the scam products/prices Amazon allows on their site through hacked/fake third party sellers. As far as I'm concerned sounds like they should go back to selling books.
Thank you. I think anyone would be angry if told on the phone quite rudely that their property is going to be thrown in the bin. I'm hardly going to laugh and day. "Oh ok then."

Associate
OP
Also I don't believe I have said anywhere on here anything that I have said to them, apart from the fact that I got angry... Which of course I did. I'm possibly going to lose a lot of money.
I have escalated my concerns via email. As stated. I have emailed the customer service manager. As stated.
It's almost as if someone just decided to be rude in here to me without bothering to read through the thread.

Caporegime
He seems to have handled it remarkably politely judging by his temperament here, if a little despairingly / negatively regarding his prospects of a positive outcome. Only in his latest post has he indicated a hint of anger in his chats.

Well that is what I'm referring to, he literally said he got angry in the chats...

Ask yourself this, if they’ve already binned it how do they know if it worked or not and why didn’t a refund get processed already? I’ve sent back items to amazon and simply had a refund as soon as they received the item. If you find that you did mess up and sent the wrong item the just refund the other one too, pretty simple! This whole thing has been way over complicated by the OP in the first place.

If you do get in a pickle get no joy from a CS person in chat or on the phone then getting angry at them won’t help much. Much easier to just write to them and await a reply.

1 live chat where someone accused me of fraud and then 2 phone calls . Not all live chats. And it was angry phone calls because they told me the card had already been disposed of. Would you remain calm? This was to internal team managers. This was the escalation.

Yes I think I probably would, why would I care if it had been disposed of? I'd not be taking your approach in the first place - I'd simply send the other card back for a refund too instead of faffing about creating more problems. If they've disposed of it then how do they know if it was faulty or not? Amazon is huge, they process refunds all the time. sending something in for a refund and then having to send another item in for a refund can be handled quite easily.

I told the card company exactly what happened. It's policy apparently that if a refund isnt being offered because it was a wrong item sent back then a chargeback can't be offered.

Sounds like complete nonsense, can you link to/quote that policy here?

It's ironic because you accuse me of ”not being very good at dealing with this stuff" whereas you are coming across as far more rude than I did. Maybe you need a relative or carer to read your comments before you post them?

Or maybe you need to read through the thread properly before posting again. Or maybe again you could just scroll past and go away.

I've not said anything rude to you, I'm just suggesting that you're making a complete mess of handling this and you might want to simply write to them and actually escalate the issue.

Honestly stop wasting time with multiple CS people on the phone/chat and just write a letter to them/getting someone else to read it first.

You keep talking about probably losing money, that makes absolutely no sense - you're still to actually escalate the issue, you probably can claim via your credit card and if you're super super unlucky and all else fails then you have the county court/small claims court too (moneyclaim.gov.uk)

Soldato
Don't think Amazon have done anything wrong here. It would probably cost them a lot of money to intervene in an automatic process. I can also see why they destroy returns which don't match as they are victims of fraud which happen almost exactly like this.

Just an expensive mistake.

If you ever take this to court, you'll have to convince a judge that despite your mistake, Amazon have acted in an unreasonable manner causing you financial harm.

Soldato

I think you have to twist this a little. I can understand why such may be policy...BUT! I think this does not count for your item.... it sounds more like sending something back that is not the item you should have sent back, so can see why they would not refund.

Try it with this spin on it.... You sent the card back but didn't follow amazons policy? That is what Amazon said to you right? So, its not that you sent the wrong item back its that you are a victim of policy.

I might not be making a lot of sense, its late :)

Caporegime
I'd perhaps have a read around on this site OP - and again, I'm not being rude, but get someone else to take a look too and just draft a letter/e-mail:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver/

Likewise if you do exhaust the complaints at Amazon (you haven't yet IMO), then you might want to look to your credit card and likewise you can write/escalated there and indeed have access to a financial ombudsman service.

Associate
OP
Well that is what I'm referring to, he literally said he got angry in the chats...

Ask yourself this, if they’ve already binned it how do they know if it worked or not and why didn’t a refund get processed already? I’ve sent back items to amazon and simply had a refund as soon as they received the item. If you find that you did mess up and sent the wrong item the just refund the other one too, pretty simple! This whole thing has been way over complicated by the OP in the first place.

If you do get in a pickle get no joy from a CS person in chat or on the phone then getting angry at them won’t help much. Much easier to just write to them and await a reply.

Yes I think I probably would, why would I care if it had been disposed of? I'd not be taking your approach in the first place - I'd simply send the other card back for a refund too instead of faffing about creating more problems. If they've disposed of it then how do they know if it was faulty or not? Amazon is huge, they process refunds all the time. sending something in for a refund and then having to send another item in for a refund can be handled quite easily.

Sounds like complete nonsense, can you link to/quote that policy here?

I've not said anything rude to you, I'm just suggesting that you're making a complete mess of handling this and you might want to simply write to them and actually escalate the issue.

Honestly stop wasting time with multiple CS people on the phone/chat and just write a letter to them/getting someone else to read it first.

You keep talking about probably losing money, that makes absolutely no sense - you're still to actually escalate the issue, you probably can claim via your credit card and if you're super super unlucky and all else fails then you have the county court/small claims court too (moneyclaim.gov.uk)
Did you even read the thread at all? They are planning on binning it because it's not the card that was supposed to be returned. That's it. That's the whole point. It was an unidentified card.

They refunded me the faulty card as that was sent after. You know what it's not worth it. Read the thread or don't. It's all there if you can be bothered. (which you clearly couldn't.)
And again. If course I got angry.

Associate
OP
Don't think Amazon have done anything wrong here. It would probably cost them a lot of money to intervene in an automatic process. I can also see why they destroy returns which don't match as they are victims of fraud which happen almost exactly like this.

Just an expensive mistake.

If you ever take this to court, you'll have to convince a judge that despite your mistake, Amazon have acted in an unreasonable manner causing you financial harm.
Apparently it's not automatic though. They manually inspect the goods and manually sideline them etc. That was according to the internal manager who said there is no reason my card shouldn't be returned. He knows it's happened before.

Back
Top Bottom