Sent the wrong item back to Amazon and they binned it.

Soldato
You know what it's not worth it. Read the thread or don't. It's all there if you can be bothered.

Of all things, don't let dowie bring you down...! P.s He was rude imho.

Apparently it's not automatic though. They manually inspect the goods and manually sideline them etc. That was according to the internal manager who said there is no reason my card shouldn't be returned. He knows it's happened before.
You sent a card back without following the correct protocol, now all you want is a refund for the card you have sent back. They have the working card, you need a refund.

Caporegime
Did you even read the thread at all? They are planning on binning it because it's not the card that was supposed to be returned. That's it. That's the whole point. It was an unidentified card.

They refunded me the faulty card as that was sent after. You know what it's not worth it. Read the thread or don't. It's all there if you can be bothered. (which you clearly couldn't.)
And again. If course I got angry.

It was still a card you bought from them no? You bought two of the same cards from them right and you have since sent the other one back too - they know it isn't some random card form elsewhere ergo a fraud attempt. Yes it is silly to get angry over this IMO. You want a refund on both cards, you've sent both cards, they've received both... I'd just go down that route.

Associate
OP
It was still a card you bought from them no? You bought two of the same cards from them right and you have since sent the other one back too - they know it isn't some random card form elsewhere ergo a fraud attempt. Yes it is silly to get angry over this IMO. You want a refund on both cards, you've sent both cards, they've received both... I'd just go down that route.
I did. Again. Read the thread. It's all there.

Caporegime
I did. Again. Read the thread. It's all there.

Sorry but I think you've just made much more of a mess of this than necessary - I'd stick with e-mails letters and follow moneysaving expert advice. You've got plenty of potential ways to escalate this and frankly I'd not bother with further phone calls/chats or getting angry with call centre or chat operators - it generally isn't their fault.

Soldato
Apparently it's not automatic though. They manually inspect the goods and manually sideline them etc. That was according to the internal manager who said there is no reason my card shouldn't be returned. He knows it's happened before.

Just because a person has set it aside to be destroyed doesn't mean it isn't an automatic process.

Amazon work on a very efficient and automated process, and don't have time (or likely the process) to individually treating certain packages in a special manner.

I bet the internal manager you spoke to has no way of even speaking to the people that deal with this without going through a slow email chain. Otherwise why didn't they deal with it there and then?

Soldato
Genuine mistake that probably doesn't happen often and breaking process so struggling to deal with it?
Not read entire thread but if not already suggested I'd try raising a complaint with Amazon so that someone outside of the returns department or whoever is currently dealing with it can read through the case and make an impartial decision.
Failing all that, raise a complaint with your CC company to get a refund, if paid by credit card. Do this as last resort though, but before trying small claims court.
I doubt they'd just destroy an item - it would be tested and/or returned to manufacturer.
Always found Amazon good to deal with myself when I've had a few issues including one mistake I made myself

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You have to feel sorry for companies when customers try to blame them for the consequences of an error made by the customer, and the customer then demand the company shoulders the cost of fixing the customer's error...

Associate
OP
You have to feel sorry for companies when customers try to blame them for the consequences of an error made by the customer, and the customer then demand the company shoulders the cost of fixing the customer's error...
I didn't demand they pay the cost of my error. I offered to pay the costs of shipping etc plus other costs if I had to.

I also never once blamed the company for the error. I said many times it was my error. But the company could do a lot more to help me. Instead I get rude people on chat and accused of trying to commit fraud (I got an apology and free Amazon gift card because of that)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Genuine mistake that probably doesn't happen often and breaking process so struggling to deal with it?
Not read entire thread but if not already suggested I'd try raising a complaint with Amazon so that someone outside of the returns department or whoever is currently dealing with it can read through the case and make an impartial decision.
Failing all that, raise a complaint with your CC company to get a refund, if paid by credit card. Do this as last resort though, but before trying small claims court.
I doubt they'd just destroy an item - it would be tested and/or returned to manufacturer.
Always found Amazon good to deal with myself when I've had a few issues including one mistake I made myself

They said the item gets destroyed. Also tried going through credit card company. That's s dead end.

Dealt with several internal managers in Amazon. Several were very rude and said it was tough and it would be destroyed despite the fact it's sidelined and just waiting there. Another said there is no reason it can't be returned and he knows of cases where it's happened.

Associate
OP
I never once said I expect Amazon to pay for my mistake etc. I am fully willing to pay for this mistake. But it would cost Amazon hardly anything to return a parcel to me especially when I am willing to pay for the shipping.

I really don't think it's too much to expect that they don't throw my product in the bin that I sent to them in error, especially when I highlighted this to them that it happened.

I have said many times I messed up. But they clearly could do more to help me.

Soldato
I never once said I expect Amazon to pay for my mistake etc. I am fully willing to pay for this mistake. But it would cost Amazon hardly anything to return a parcel to me especially when I am willing to pay for the shipping.

I really don't think it's too much to expect that they don't throw my product in the bin that I sent to them in error, especially when I highlighted this to them that it happened.

I have said many times I messed up. But they clearly could do more to help me.
Agree completely. Try a complaint to Amazon (via a link/email). Could also try social media approach to them, highlighting the stupidity of it all. At the very least, it's not exactly environmentally friendly to be destroying a perfectly working item due to a customer mistake and not trying to resolve it.

Associate

Actually that’s often what happens. I know of one big tech reseller in the UK. They store up returns and then offer them to charity’s. Anything the Charity’s don’t want goes in the bin. These can be items worth a lot more than this graphics card.

Soldato
Just because a person has set it aside to be destroyed doesn't mean it isn't an automatic process.

Amazon work on a very efficient and automated process, and don't have time (or likely the process) to individually treating certain packages in a special manner.

I bet the internal manager you spoke to has no way of even speaking to the people that deal with this without going through a slow email chain. Otherwise why didn't they deal with it there and then?

Customer returns are not automated, every return is checked by a member of staff.

Man of Honour
Customer returns are not automated, every return is checked by a member of staff.

Checked for what though? The simple involvment of humans doing simple checks isn't necessarily going to help in this scenario.

Remember, in this case, the return package contained the 'correct' item in terms of it being the right model etc.

Caporegime
Remember, in this case, the return package contained the 'correct' item in terms of it being the right model etc.

Not to mention both have been sent back. I just don't see the point in complicating things with wanting one of them to be then posted back to the OP etc..etc.. OP should just focus on getting a refund for both - simple point being that both have been returned albeit using the incorrect tracking number for the card.

Soldato
Checked for what though? The simple involvment of humans doing simple checks isn't necessarily going to help in this scenario.

Well he has an email saying the card serial does not match the one Amazon sent...so yes looks like a human has checked and found while being the right model it could easily be a customer replacing a broken old card with a brand new one.

Soldato

It was checked against the expected serial number. Once it failed that first basic check, RMA would have been refused, and any other company would simply have returned it back to the customer (usually charging them). I don't know of any other company that would automatically destroy any refused RMA. What if the customer then wanted to return it to the manufacturer instead of the retailer?

Back
Top Bottom