SETI@home News Vol. 108 (24/06/2010)

Associate
from the seti news post

In addition to gaining developer time, we will take advantage of public server outages to run the science servers at full bore, getting all of the database resources. So science production, as well as science development, will increase.

Didn't see that bit - bummer :( . Well, doubtless people will leave, and new users may be discouraged by long server outages. BUT, the project objective DOES take priority to simply sending out and receiving data. The staff may also have one eye on their limited funding, and feel the need to advance the science to justify it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the news TT, though your tiffy winners list is somewhat incomplete. ;)

It always is :o

That's because the stats site I use for the tiffy info (allprojectstats.com) only lists a few milestones and doesn't include all of the ones we have certificates for, so unfortunately it's virtually guaranteed that the list will have omissions. The site I used to use - Stats 'n' Stones - had an (almost) complete list; unfortunately the milestones page seems to have stopped working, as every time I look at it it says there are none :p

On that note then, is there an easy way to automatically fetch relevant milestone data between a user-defined period of time? At the moment a lot of info is missing and other milestones aren't applicable to us here because we don't have certificates for them.

With regards to the new server outage schedule, I think it's a great idea. Whilst I completely agree that some users may leave the project out of sheer frustration, increased downtime to help troubleshoot problems should go some way to helping the long-term future of the project, as a lasting solution does need to be found instead of the quick fixes that have seemingly been happening for some time.

Last edited:
Associate
With regards to the new server outage schedule, I think it's a great idea. Whilst I completely agree that some users may leave the project out of sheer frustration, increased downtime to help troubleshoot problems should go some way to helping the long-term future of the project, as a lasting solution does need to be found instead of the quick fixes that have been seemingly been happening for some time.

I totally agree.......

It may be hard to stomach - but if it helps the cause........

:D

Associate
Cheers for the news update as normal :D

You missed me off the tiffy list, unless where you pull the statistics from hadn't updated me with the 750k mark.

cpartcert1.php

My output is going to be really poor now as I'm down to a single machine with no GPU production. No doubt those Fermi owners will take up the slack *cough* Biffa and Mr TBag ;)

Soldato
Good thing that Mr Halz has decided to ressurect milkyway@home as that is all Im crunching now. Im pleased I didn't get another fermi as it might have been a waste. Doing more science is a great thing, but I hope they can keep the crunching community supplied.
It could be that the servers get borked every weekend trying to keep up with the uploads and downloads from the outage..

Hopefully some work will come soon as my RAC is going south..

Associate
On that note then, is there an easy way to automatically fetch relevant milestone data between a user-defined period of time? At the moment a lot of info is missing and other milestones aren't applicable to us here because we don't have certificates for them.

Err, not wishing to ask the obvious, but how are the tiffy 'certificates' generated ATM? Can we not just tack something onto the end of the script to mail an admin' mailbox or something? That way, you'll be in perfect synch......

Soldato
OP
The tiffies aren't generated as such - they were created a while back by Berserker (I think) and are set at (and limited to) the following milestones:

and then every 250,000 after that. At the moment I simply use this page to manually sift through who's won what certificate. Unfortunately, that page omits quiite a few of the milestones that we have certificates for whilst listing ones that are irrelevant.

A script that I could run on our stats data that would perform a search for members that have passed the milestones listed above within a specified time range would be perfect, but I have no programming skills whatsoever so am limited to just doing it manually on an incomplete stats list. Whether or not the idea you suggest would work is beyond me, but if that was possible then it would certainly be a better option than I currently have.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's warming up TBag towers is in a hightened state of alert its trickles now, but it will come.
I wouldn't be looking for it to stay up for more than 2 or so hours and it'll go black for the whole weekend - The TBag t leaves told me :D

Associate
The tiffies aren't generated as such - they were created a while back by Berserker (I think) and are set at (and limited to) the following milestones:

and then every 250,000 after that. At the moment I simply use this page to manually sift through who's won what certificate. Unfortunately, that page omits quiite a few of the milestones that we have certificates for whilst listing ones that are irrelevant.

A script that I could run on our stats data that would perform a search for members that have passed the milestones listed above within a specified time range would be perfect, but I have no programming skills whatsoever so am limited to just doing it manually on an incomplete stats list. Whether or not the idea you suggest would work is beyond me, but if that was possible then it would certainly be a better option than I currently have.

Well, I see from the top of page, this site uses php. The tiffy's are just images, which doubtless are just tweaked by a script (which is likely to be a php script, or maybe perl). Sending a mail from php is a 1 line job (it really is that easy - and perl wouldn't be a lot harder providing the correct packages were installed). Who hosts this site? Do you have access to the root of the web server?

Back
Top Bottom