SETI@home News Vol. 108 (24/06/2010)

Soldato
Using resceduler seems to have helped me increase my cache..

boinc.jpg

If you reschedule cpu units to the GPU, when they get returned they are marked up as cpu units as although they were crunched by the gpu, they are still cpu wu's, so the cpu quota goes through the roof :D

Man of Honour
Yep then you can reschedule them to the GPU and jobs a goodun :D

Quick question, is it worth doing Astropulse WU's with the enhanced apps?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that Edge, just out of curiosity i take it thats the 470 are you still running 3 tasks concurrently and what are you averaging when it comes to time taken to complete task? Cheers

Soldato
Last time I looked, the enhanced apps knocked around 30% off the time to crunch, but they have lowered the credit score for them slightly so its your choice as they work out the same as MB units now. If you have intel cpu's then Id say yes, as the enhanced app is better for intel than amd, and they keep the cpu occupied through work shortages..

Man of Honour
Thanks for that Edge, just out of curiosity i take it thats the 470 are you still running 3 tasks concurrently and what are you averaging when it comes to time taken to complete task? Cheers

I'm doing two per core and the cores are maxing out at 99%, I tried three per core and had lots of crashes. :eek: But that could just be me, weebeastie is pushing the quantum envelope a bit as it is just by being in existance :D

Soldato
Yeah i got greedy to begin with and had the same results 2 is fine by me for now. The TBag version of weebeastie should be up and running this week, and if it gets any warmer am gonna spit!

Man of Honour
I have a fan pointing at the front of weebeastie, temps on the gpu's are good under water, maxing out at around 50°C, CPU is hovering around 70°C but hit 78°C yesterday at 3pm before I realised I was doing folding@home and Seti@home on the CPU at the same time :eek:

I've got the bits ready to switch to a different CPU block and change all the tubing and fittings from 10/8mm tubing to 16/10mm tubing which hopefully will ease the flow around the loops.

For anyone who is interested, the rig is pulling under 1KW from the wall with 15 tasks running altoghether, 7 tasks running on the CPU (i7 [email protected]) and 8 (2 tasks per GPU) on the 4 graphics cards (1xGTX480, 3xGTX470)

I "haf-gno-klu" what the average per day is, thats for b0rkeley to work out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm doing two per core and the cores are maxing out at 99%, I tried three per core and had lots of crashes. :eek: But that could just be me, weebeastie is pushing the quantum envelope a bit as it is just by being in existance :D

I have been running 3 on my 470 overclocked to 748Mhz with no trouble so far for a couple of weeks, but I have an advantage in that the room it is in is air conditioned and I can run the fan at 100%. See earlier post for temps, but it seems stable at around 58/59C

Toxic - I agree, very nice, but for that sort of cash you would get more ppd buying 2 x 480's

Last edited:
Soldato
Am getting the bits n bobs for watercooling as and when i have the spare cash, hopefully might have it done by september :)
Marine ignores temps lol why am i not suprised :D:D
OOOo i think i just died and woke up in heaven

Yeah temps are not a problem ignore them and you dont need to worry I am a test bed for you guys on how far you can push these little chips and they go well push a ton daily and my computer doesn't even shut down like it would on my old core2quad :D

And don't even think about getting that just buy two rigs that use less money right? ;)

Soldato
True but you know how i am with bright shiny new things :D
2 out of 3 rigs are running opt apps and are chugging along nicely, but i am beginning to wonder if seti favours just the stock app as the one rig on stock app only has downloaded what must be a 20 day cache. I'm not complaining and it will come in handy if there are extended outages was just curious :confused:

Associate
Wouldn't worry to much Toxic i've got those sort of numbers on the main rig with it running the opt app..
Although i suppose it depend on what the specific rig uses normally

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a fan pointing at the front of weebeastie, temps on the gpu's are good under water, maxing out at around 50°C, CPU is hovering around 70°C but hit 78°C yesterday at 3pm before I realised I was doing folding@home and Seti@home on the CPU at the same time :eek:
QUOTE]

Makes me want watercooling yesterday :)

Soldato
All is well with my seti pc's once more, not at full power yet but I'm working on it ;)

I think its almost time for an update to the Monster Parp thread :D
Might just let the stats settle a little more for accuracy.

Soldato
All is well with my seti pc's once more, not at full power yet but I'm working on it ;)

I think its almost time for an update to the Monster Parp thread :D
Might just let the stats settle a little more for accuracy.

Nice to see evrything hotting up again and the work flowing, cant help but think i will be on your monster parp update :D
Nice dump yesterday Grimgoth well done sah!:D

Back
Top Bottom