SETI@Home & OcUk Projects News Vol. 176 12th May - 24th May 2012

Soldato
OP
I'm STILL not on the single PC league!

Anyway, I apologise for the highly variable RAC, I carry on turning BOINC off when I play games... then forget to turn it back on.

Also, VERY close to my first 50k! (I'm at about 49k ATM)

well you are now it would have helped if you had posted your crunching name because i got the impression or thought you were under the name will which i couldnt find anyways now i know.
So are you gpu assisted?

Associate
Yeah, I am assisted, as I've said a couple of weeks back. My 7850 adds about 200 RAC to my count :D

Also, I posted my crunching name when I started crunching - "Will - will1b"

Soldato
OP
When you posted "Will - will1b" i went a hunting for will no matter but hey i asked if you ever have a question or problem instead of taking a back seat and wondering whats happenning just post in the thread or send a trust message

Associate
Oh, it's not really much of a problem. I forgot to check the news for a couple weeks, and I didn't really wonder. I checked, I saw and I posted about it. It's no big deal.

Also, 500 points off of my 50k tiffy :(

Soldato
OP
:) not sure about ati cards but think you should be getting more from it output wise, there are others here that will know more than i but i would investigate :)

Look forward to being able to post your tiffy achievement too ..... dont forget if your about to pass someone give em the old parp !! :)

Associate
It's just my variable output from forgetting to turn BOINC back on. My actual peak RAC was 950, at the start of this month. I left my PC idle for quite a while, with BOINC on :D

Associate
It's not that I play tons of games - most of the time I'm playing flash games, browsing or idle - it's just that I'm really forgetful with turning BOINC back on.

*Adds Sticky Note to desktop, as that's where the shortcuts are*

EDIT: AWWWWW YEAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! 50k achieved, just gotta wait for Team OcUK's site to update.

Last edited:
Associate
I find it very easy to tell when BOINC isn't running because the room goes rather quiet :D

I agree with TTB that your RAC should be much higher than 950. I don't know how well ATI cards perform in SETI but I would expect at least 10,000 a day. Are you running the lunatics optimised apps? It would be worth a check in your BOINC messages tab when you first load up to check there aren't any errors.

Soldato
You can have BOINC suspend all computation when a certain executable is running. Simply create a file called cc_config.xml in the BOINC data directory and add the following into it (replacing Executable Name with the relevant .exe):

Code:
<cc_config>
<log_flags>
</log_flags>
<options>
<exclusive_app>[B][Executable Name][/B]</exclusive_app>
<exclusive_gpu_app>[B][Executable Name][/B]</exclusive_gpu_app>
</options>
</cc_config>

Then go into BOINC manager and click Advanced > Read config file.

Once you stop the game BOINC will restart :)

Last edited:
Associate
10k? Whaaaaa...

I am running optimised, but I seriously didn't expect anything that high. I'm a couple hours a day, not at night person though, so I don't really think I WILL get that high

EDIT: Thanks TheTross, I'll write that into there in a minute. Might take a while for 100 steam games though (I'll probably just add it in when I actually get round to playing that game)

Also, what about more than 1 exe?

EDIT 2: Uncle Google helped me out, never mind. There's a tool built into computing preferences xD

Last edited:
Soldato
For more than one exe you just need to add more <exclusive_app> lines, like so:

Code:
<exclusive_app>[Executable Name1]</exclusive_app>
<exclusive_app>[Executable Name2]</exclusive_app>
<exclusive_gpu_app>[Executable Name1]</exclusive_gpu_app>
<exclusive_gpu_app>[Executable Name2]</exclusive_gpu_app>

Might take a while for 100 steam games though

:D

Associate
Thanks. Your simple single smiley on my steam games made me laugh :)

EDIT: Also, you don't need the "exclusive_GPU_app" unless it's not CPU intensive but GPU intensive. The 0.05 of a CPU core that it uses is enough to stop it running :D

Last edited:
Associate
You could keep it simple and add steam.exe, just make sure you close steam down when you're done :D

I took a wild guess at 10k but that would be running almost 24/7 bar some game time ;)

Soldato
OP
You could keep it simple and add steam.exe, just make sure you close steam down when you're done :D

I took a wild guess at 10k but that would be running almost 24/7 bar some game time ;)

Noooooooo Dave :eek: ( your not supposed to give him the impression that gaming is ok , were supposed to slowly and subtly steer him away from such wastefull past times) :rolleyes::)

Soldato
OP
But gaming means that you need an all powerful system which is nothing but goodness for the team :D

Errrrr.... yup absolutely whatever you do dont catch the "forgetting to switch boinc back on" bug when ya finished your battlefield 3 sah :)

Actually i dont have any room to talk someone introduced me to world of warcraft and am quite enjoying it :o:)

Associate
I leave BOINC running while I'm playing games, the frame rate is a bit rubbish but I wouldn't want to impact on my SETI output. I have my priorities right. SETI comes first, then feeding the kids, then playing computer games......... and then the missus :D

I might add that I'm having a very boring evening installing XP onto my second rig thanks to some wise idea by a certain loud bob. I had forgotten how rubbish it is :p

Soldato
I might add that I'm having a very boring evening installing XP onto my second rig thanks to some wise idea by a certain loud bob. I had forgotten how rubbish it is :p

Crack open a beer. That'll improve matters no end :p

On a side, how much better is XP compared to W7 for crunching? Am toying with the idea of bringing myself out of my luddite days by buying W7 but it might prove to be false economy if SETI et al aren't particularly suited to it.

Back
Top Bottom