SETI@Home & OcUk Projects News Vol. 176 12th May - 24th May 2012

Associate
I might add that I'm having a very boring evening installing XP onto my second rig thanks to some wise idea by a certain loud bob. I had forgotten how rubbish it is :p

Could be worse at least your doing it by choice. The very nice people of the national grid decided that we didn't need any power earlier today. This somehow nuked the HDD on the headless rig :rolleyes: Thought it was a little quiet/cool in the living room :p

With any luck it's sorted now and just waiting for some units. On the brighter side at least it didn't take out the new rig. Needless to say i would have been very upset if it had :D

Associate
On a side, how much better is XP compared to W7 for crunching? Am toying with the idea of bringing myself out of my luddite days by buying W7 but it might prove to be false economy if SETI et al aren't particularly suited to it.

I think Mr Loudbob said that XP 32bit was around 10-20% faster than W7.

The very nice people of the national grid decided that we didn't need any power earlier today. This somehow nuked the HDD on the headless rig :rolleyes: Thought it was a little quiet/cool in the living room :p

With any luck it's sorted now and just waiting for some units. On the brighter side at least it didn't take out the new rig. Needless to say i would have been very upset if it had :D

Computers are great when they work. Have you thought about buying a UPS?

Are you sure the outage wasn't a planned strike by the Reavernator? :D

Associate
Hey derv,

I see you've swapped your 470 rig over to XP - it'll probably take at least a week (minimum) for you to see any advantage due to the work unit turn around.

So don't worry if your rac drops - it'll sort itself out in time :D

Worst case scenario - you can always change it back to Win7.

Now all we need is the new opt apps :D

Seems like I've been waiting ages - my 680 rig is desperate for them. Someone with 3 x 680's has an rac over 112k whereas my 4 x 680's on the older opt apps are only scrappping 86k (but I think should be higher even on the older apps).

Associate
Thanks to TheTross, my RAC has gone up 100 in one day :D

Also:
cpartcert1.php

Associate
In case you hdn't pinged it, S@H will be off-line 'till end of Thursday. This is to complete repairs after the powerline short circuit two weeks ago. Hope you've got some work in 'yer cache.......

Associate
Ho hum, my XP rig ran out of GPU work overnight. Lucky I kept my W7 install on a separate hard disk, got a ton of work to crunch now :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks to TheTross, my RAC has gone up 100 in one day :D

Also:
cpartcert1.php

:eek: Sweeeeeet, nice one indeed the first of many from you i think!!!
Dont forget to parp any slackers that might get in your way :D:D

If Area51 is right and SETI is down for two days then in real terms it probably is 2 weeks :p

Am inclined to agree that it could be longer than the 2 days but hopefully not 2 weeks :)

Thanks to Mr Area51 for pointing the outage and the reason for it appreciate that :)

Soldato
OP
Well the stats are a bit squeeywiff until everything updates so if its allright with you guys will leave the news until it updates, looks like servers are all back up and running so maybe later today or tommorrow morning. What say you peeps?

Associate
TBag......

I can not imagine that you would have any complaints from anyone if the news is delayed. You do such a great job with it - it is always worth waiting for.

:)

Man of Honour
Well the stats are a bit squeeywiff until everything updates so if its allright with you guys will leave the news until it updates, looks like servers are all back up and running so maybe later today or tommorrow morning. What say you peeps?

Slacker tbh :p

Back
Top Bottom