Setting up Pi-hole

Commissario
Edit /etc/pihole/adlists.list

Add this

Code:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anudeepND/adac7982307fec6ee23605e281a57f1a/raw/5b8582b906a9497624c3f3187a49ebc23a9cf2fb/Test.txt

Save the file and run
Code:
pihole -g

That's a blacklist which is supposed to block Youtube ads. I can't vouch for it but it's worth a try.

Don
It's not just google, test it out on google shopping. I had to add dartsearch and all sorts, if you google an item, then try to use a referrer enabled shop link, then a lot of them are broken by pi-hole.

Same goes for HUKD links.

For now I just live with it and edit the link in the address bar.

Soldato
Edit /etc/pihole/adlists.list

Add this

Code:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anudeepND/adac7982307fec6ee23605e281a57f1a/raw/5b8582b906a9497624c3f3187a49ebc23a9cf2fb/Test.txt

Save the file and run
Code:
pihole -g

That's a blacklist which is supposed to block Youtube ads. I can't vouch for it but it's worth a try.

Thanks Feek, i had already added that link in, although i didnt run the -g command.

It's not just google, test it out on google shopping. I had to add dartsearch and all sorts, if you google an item, then try to use a referrer enabled shop link, then a lot of them are broken by pi-hole.

Same goes for HUKD links.

For now I just live with it and edit the link in the address bar.

Would checking the blocks on the admin GUI and unblocking the links as you browse help?

Edit, i have just tested HUKD and clicked on a good few links and i got straight through?

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm using standard pihole blocklist plus the youtube one posted a few days ago, and HUKD links are blocked for me too.

Soldato
So when you click https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ht...le-dual-sim-for-21999-eglobal-central-2903199

Get Deal, that works by default for you?

On mine it's blocked via clkde.tradedoubler.com

Yes I know how to add exceptions, but it would be nice to have a HUKD and Google Shopping complete whitelist.

Yeah although i am seeing a load of ads on that site too, so i don't know if my setup isnt running as it should?

Im with Sky so i can't change DNS on the router, so im using the pi-hole as a dhcp server. Maybe this is why ours differ?

Associate
Yeah although i am seeing a load of ads on that site too, so i don't know if my setup isnt running as it should?

Im with Sky so i can't change DNS on the router, so im using the pi-hole as a dhcp server. Maybe this is why ours differ?
You dont seem to have your pi-hole setup or configured the same as everyone else.
Ive just tested that link and pressed the button. Firstly its blocked by the uBlock Origin addon in the browser, I allow that to go through and imediatly get the "blocked by pi-hole" window.

Soldato
You dont seem to have your pi-hole setup or configured the same as everyone else.
Ive just tested that link and pressed the button. Firstly its blocked by the uBlock Origin addon in the browser, I allow that to go through and imediatly get the "blocked by pi-hole" window.

Yeah, it sucks that Sky block me from changing the DNS. I would say then the DHCP server fix that was posted previously doesn't fully work as well as using it for the DNS?

I would go out and pick up a better router, but don't you need a username and password on these routers with Sky?

Soldato
I would say then the DHCP server fix that was posted previously doesn't fully work as well as using it for the DNS?

It should work exactly the same as long as the DHCP server is setup correctly. Can you post the output of 'ipconfig /all' from a client using the SKy router as the DHCP server then put the Pi-Hole DHCP server in place and grab the same output.

You are disabling the DHCP server on the Sky router when you enable it on Pi-Hole aren't you?

Soldato
It should work exactly the same as long as the DHCP server is setup correctly. Can you post the output of 'ipconfig /all' from a client using the SKy router as the DHCP server then put the Pi-Hole DHCP server in place and grab the same output.

You are disabling the DHCP server on the Sky router when you enable it on Pi-Hole aren't you?

I double checked the DHCP on the Sky router again and i swear i turned off IPv6 DHCP but that was still ticked. I have turned that off now. I wonder if i was getting IP6 routing bypassing the pi-hole?

I think i may disable IPv6 all together on the router.

P.S, I can confirm, im not getting blocked messages on HUKD. :D

Soldato
Anybody got any really good blocklists? I know I could use OpenDNS family guard but I want to do it myself using Pihole. I've found the Chad Mayfield list which is epic scale huge but wondered if anyone else has done this?

Commissario
Personally I don't see the point in these massive blacklists. I've tried them and they cause more trouble than they're worth. The default stuff which comes with a new Pi-hole installation works perfectly well. The only ads I see are YouTube and although I found a list which blocks them (posted above somewhere), it also stopped me signing into Youtube!

Soldato
Personally I don't see the point in these massive blacklists. I've tried them and they cause more trouble than they're worth. The default stuff which comes with a new Pi-hole installation works perfectly well. The only ads I see are YouTube and although I found a list which blocks them (posted above somewhere), it also stopped me signing into Youtube!
I'm after more than ads. Pihole is just a very quick way of setting up a DNS server doing what I want with a nice GUI

He might want to do it for his kids, maybe? Use it more of a filtered proxy.
Spot on!

Back
Top Bottom