Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
I generally agree with rexehuk but one thing I'll say is that the bane of a lot of home bread-making is often low hydration of the dough. Very very roughly speaking, more hydration = better bread. Of course, more hydration also makes the dough substantially harder to work with (sticky). You should also be careful of how much flour you use when kneading and/or rolling or stretching. You could make something that is very high hydration and then use so much flour working with the dough that you essentially drop the hydration down to 50% or similar.

+1

Basically the same for me, when you're hand kneading, you find yourself adding more flour (so hard to resist) to make it easier to work with. By the end, you'll end up with an unknown hydration unless you're super scientific and measure the in-flour and compensate with water at the end once you've developed gluten.

The main reason I prefer the no knead, you know without doubt the exact contents of the dough, and the yeast develop the gluten and I can enjoy beers.

Soldato
Could you just gradually throw all the ingredients into a kitchen aid with a dough hook. Instead of it getting stuck to everything. Actually that would just be like kneading it

Soldato
Could you just gradually throw all the ingredients into a kitchen aid with a dough hook. Instead of it getting stuck to everything. Actually that would just be like kneading it

Yeah for sure, 10 minutes in a mixer will do it justice with dough hook. I tried to use girlfriends mixer (breville) and it was murdering the motor... so would only say do doughs in a decent mixer!

Soldato
I knocked up the dough last night with the no knead method. Looking forward to making some pizzas at the weekend! im supposed to be going to a bbq saturday so i will take my pizza stone and half the dough:D

Soldato
Knocked the dough back last night, when i come to shaping this into pizzas, as its quite sticky whats the best way to go about it? if i add flour by putting some down as i rolling pin/hand shape then it will effect the hydration.?

Soldato
Knocked the dough back last night, when i come to shaping this into pizzas, as its quite sticky whats the best way to go about it? if i add flour by putting some down as i rolling pin/hand shape then it will effect the hydration.?

How comes you knocked it back? Are you baking today? If you're doing no knead cold ferment, you leave it completely alone until you're good to go.

If you've got a good temperature you can be quite generous with flour when shaping the dough as it will fall off before cooking, and cook off when cooking as long as you're not kneading it into the dough further.

I shaped mine in what was almost a bath of flour, as you're working with 2 sides and not folding it in, so is perfectly ok, just make sure you shake the excess off before topping.

Soldato
How comes you knocked it back? Are you baking today? If you're doing no knead cold ferment, you leave it completely alone until you're good to go.

If you've got a good temperature you can be quite generous with flour when shaping the dough as it will fall off before cooking, and cook off when cooking as long as you're not kneading it into the dough further.

I shaped mine in what was almost a bath of flour, as you're working with 2 sides and not folding it in, so is perfectly ok, just make sure you shake the excess off before topping.

Ah i thought i was supposed to squash it back as it got bigger, im making some more on sunday so i will leave it for the duration!

Caporegime

sure, I do my pizza dough in a bread maker :D

comes out amazingly well

just bang all the ingredients in on the pizza dough setting and 30-45mins later I've got some nice dough to stick in the fridge or use.

makes cleaning up a doddle too as there's no mess all over a worktop
I'm sure a kitchen aid is just as good if not better

Man of Honour
Ah i thought i was supposed to squash it back as it got bigger, im making some more on sunday so i will leave it for the duration!

Knocking back is something you do with normal bread dough to get rid of the larger air bubbles and potentially further increase gluten formation. It won't really have done any harm but as you say, no need (knead) to do it next time :)

Man of Honour
Made up a big batch of dough this morning for use tonight in testing out the pizza oven. It's a little annoying that I didn't make it a few days ago but it should still be okay, if not as good as I'd like.

Only issue is I'll end up with about 6 pizzas during my testing. Even with my appetite that might be tough going :p

Man of Honour
Bit of a mixed bag. Getting used to the pizza oven will take some time I think. Also, I'm incredibly out of practice with regards to stretching dough :/ Finally, I didn't pay attention and ended up burning things. Oh well :p

A few pics anyhow:

n1vWrCk.jpg

B4HrCHu.jpg

PdxnVqy.jpg

llncjaD.jpg

myNabcR.jpg

KSfhliA.jpg

Associate
OP
If you want to give my recipe a go it is:

All-purpose or bread flour: 100%
Salt: 2%
Instant yeast: 1.5 %
Water: 65%

I've got some dough sat in the fridge to this mix, thank you. I'm holding off until Monday so it's had 5 days to cold ferment.

Question - once I split the dough and shape them to two pizza pans, will I get the best results going in to my blazing hot oven while the dough is still chilled or should I leave it to get to room temperature?

Associate
OP
Bit of a mixed bag. Getting used to the pizza oven will take some time I think. Also, I'm incredibly out of practice with regards to stretching dough :/ Finally, I didn't pay attention and ended up burning things. Oh well :p

Looks nice mate, I should take a tip from you and not get carried away with my toppings. I always add too much, out of a) greed and b) wanting to use up ingredients :p

Soldato
I've got some dough sat in the fridge to this mix, thank you. I'm holding off until Monday so it's had 5 days to cold ferment.

Question - once I split the dough and shape them to two pizza pans, will I get the best results going in to my blazing hot oven while the dough is still chilled or should I leave it to get to room temperature?

I get mine out about an hour or so before I'm using it, I suppose being at room temperature might be best? That way the dough cooks, before the toppings start to go. At least logically in my head that makes sense!

Get some pics up, be good to see how it comes out in the oven

Back
Top Bottom