Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

Along with my usual pizza, I saved half the flour to make "The Sicilian"...

It's a very wet dough, and I believe the instructions say to just dump it in a tray, but I ended up squashing it down to make it fit anyway.

6Ef92oA.jpg

I transferred it to a bigger tray shortly after though since the above one was a little too small. I left it in the fridge for 24 hours.

LMFvbwy.jpg

With the dough being left in the tray and not rolled out after it's risen, it leaves it fluffy with air bubbles in, which produces a much softer and less chewy pizza.

The oil gave the base a bit of crisp and a much better taste, although the edges were a little too crispy, but I'll reduce the cooking time in future to see if that helps.

I haven't had Pizza Hut in 10+ years, but the base tastes somewhat like theirs which is no surprise since they were known for "greasy" pizzas.

Definitely preferred it over my usual pizza, it was easier to make too.

1Wc9cWm.jpg

eng4CaV.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK, my attempt:

00 bread flour: 100%
Salt: 2%
Instant yeast: 1.5 %
Water: 65%

Cold fermented for 5 days. 300 deg. C on pizza setting in oven.

Few mistakes on my behalf, namely over cooking and the damn thing cementing itself to a new heavy anodised aluminium pizza tray I've just bought. Perhaps should have greased it first or used semolina bed?

Ooops....
pQue2YVl.jpg

Good bubbles in the crust...
QMFsOlHl.jpg

Still a little bready for my liking, unlike Dominoes...
Uh0M1e7l.jpg

Dissapointing overall :(

Man of Honour
How did you prepare the base? It looks like it hasn't been flattened properly in the middle to me. Based on the general browning I'd also guess that it was cooked too long at too low a temperature.

Rather than an aluminium pizza pan use a cast iron pizza stone or the bottom side of a cast iron pan that you've pre-heated until scorching hot. Put the toppings on your base and then use a peel to slide it on to the cast iron pan/stone. Immediately stick it under a pre-heated grill and your pizza will be cooked in < 5 minutes.

Man of Honour
In other news, I had a second run at using my pizza oven today. I'm starting to remember how to stretch pizza bases so that side of things was substantially better. Unfortunately as I was worried about pre-heating the stone too much I under-heated it this time so the base of the..er.. base was a little on the pale side. Still, progress.

I really should be an IR thermometer for the pizza stone...

Associate
OP
How did you prepare the base? It looks like it hasn't been flattened properly in the middle to me. Based on the general browning I'd also guess that it was cooked too long at too low a temperature.

Rather than an aluminium pizza pan use a cast iron pizza stone or the bottom side of a cast iron pan that you've pre-heated until scorching hot. Put the toppings on your base and then use a peel to slide it on to the cast iron pan/stone. Immediately stick it under a pre-heated grill and your pizza will be cooked in < 5 minutes.

Just sort of pushed it outwards as evenly as I could to try and fill the tray. Temperature was 300 degrees pre-heated oven, cooking time circa 10mins. Definitely too crisp on the edges. I think I was worried about havng a doughy middle.

Ive tried using one of my cast iron pans in the past, heating it up on the hob, adding the dough in and then toppings, then banging in the oven.

I bought two of these ali trays as they were really thick and heavy, look about 5mm thick. Bloody things were £35. Was tempted by a stone but wasnt sure if too much heat shattered them? Likewise Ive seen flat slates of cast iron but was worried they be an accident waiting to happen when pulling from the oven.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To be honest I have burnt myself quite a few times when making pizza. I think that's more due to me not being careful rather than anything else though ;)

This video has some awesome base stretching in it. Ignore the use of the electric pizza oven of course.

Oh...and "enjoy" the music :p

Soldato
The dough will be even better if you leave it longer - 48-72 hours is optimal in terms of flavour development.

I left the dough for 5 days, it made a huge difference, much much better, pizza was "chewier", tbh I was sceptical and tried the dough at 1 day and 3 days..............5 days was markedly better.

So, thanks for the info :)

Soldato
I left the dough for 5 days, it made a huge difference, much much better, pizza was "chewier", tbh I was sceptical and tried the dough at 1 day and 3 days..............5 days was markedly better.

So, thanks for the info :)

Yup. I've done 2 days, and 5 days... and the difference is huge.

Someone done a good analysis here of the difference for those that don't want to trial/error

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...-long-should-i-let-my-dough-cold-ferment.html

Man of Honour
I'm just about to use up the last of my dough (4 days old at this point..I clearly should've made more ;)). I've just made a new batch to stick in the fridge for a few days too. Pizzatastic.

Man of Honour
Getting there but still quite far from where I need to be. This time I pre-heated for about 8 or 9 minutes. I think 11 is going to be the sweet spot. I also messed up putting the pizza on the stone due to faffing stupidly with the peel :rolleyes:. The shape and the charring/blistering are massively uneven due to that.

Okay in parts, overdone in some and anaemic in others.
cTz976a.jpg

Some leoparding on the base but slightly underdone.
cWVhF13.jpg

If I hadn't burnt the top so badly I'd be really happy with this bubbling.
IaG34MX.jpg

This bit looks a bit better.
l1mgEjZ.jpg

Pizza itself was a very simple/minimalist one of a single scotch bonnet and a single clove of garlic. It's a really pro combination :)

Soldato
This bit looks a bit better.

Pizza itself was a very simple/minimalist one of a single scotch bonnet and a single clove of garlic. It's a really pro combination :)

So with this machine, you just turn it on when you want pizza and in like 10 mins it's ready to roll?

Seems quite handy if you eat a lot of pizza! Although there is something neanderthal cooking with fire :p

Kicking myself I didn't make dough yesterday now... In the mood for pizza Saturday.

Man of Honour
That's pretty much it, yeah. A proper wood-fired oven isn't even remotely practical for me sadly. Even if it was I'd find it hard to argue with the convenience of a smaller and quicker to use gadget :p Judging by the results others have got (not me, yet) with the oven you can get extremely good pizza with it.

Soldato
I think im going to pick up one of those pizza ovens!

Here is my attempt from the weekend, this was cooked on a gas bbq with a stone on, 350c

nEkoWOK.jpg

f3wF1yz.jpg

Tasted absolutely awesome, 5 day ferment is definitely the way to go. Tonight im going to make some more dough for sunday/monday

As you can see i had a bit of trouble shaping:D

I made one on saturday night on a charcoal bbq and think that one tasted better, that one i also used Waitrose cooking mozzarella whereas the ones in the pic are from Sainsburys and i must say the Waitrose mozzarella was definitely nicer on pizza

Man of Honour
Those look really good. Nice bubbling and char :)

I actually quite like using basics/etc mozzarella on my pizzas. It's a less delicate flavour which I find works a bit better as I tend to use strong flavours (garlic, chillies, chorizo, etc). To each their own though.

Soldato
The base of the one on the right was absolutely perfect. For some reason the one on the left was a bit burnt, im suspecting a bbq hot spot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom