• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Share your Ryzen 1600 Overclock here

Soldato
It is, look on the ASRock forums to see how many people can't get it stable above 2400. I'm running Trident Z RGB 3200 @ 2400.

In which case, I would strongly recommend that you look at sending it back, as the official supported speed for Ryzen is up to 2666MHz, so as far as trade descriptions goes, it is not fit for purpose. 2666MHz is not considered an overclock, so there can't be any reason they will not take it back and swap it for a different board.

Also, I've just had a browse around the interwebs, and since 1.0.0.6 was released loads of people have now got it to go well above 2400MHz. Did you update the BIOS? :)

Soldato
In which case, I would strongly recommend that you look at sending it back, as the official supported speed for Ryzen is up to 2666MHz, so as far as trade descriptions goes, it is not fit for purpose. 2666MHz is not considered an overclock, so there can't be any reason they will not take it back and swap it for a different board.

Also, I've just had a browse around the interwebs, and since 1.0.0.6 was released loads of people have now got it to go well above 2400MHz. Did you update the BIOS? :)

Yeh latest BIOS. It does actually work on 2666, but it power cycles 2 or 3 times beforehand. I don't like that.

Soldato
Yeh latest BIOS. It does actually work on 2666, but it power cycles 2 or 3 times beforehand. I don't like that.

My latest bios is peeing me off. Really struggling to get it back to 3200.

Went back to old bios... V1.7. won't boot to 3200 on me there either... What on Earth.

Finally managed to get it to boot at 3200! Frankly.. I think it was luck this time. What a total nightmare this has been to get it this far considering it was nothing at 3200mhz on the ram consistently for a long time on the v1.7 bios. Memory training sucks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys, thought I'd ask on here as this is the system I'm looking to buy.

What's the motherboard to by for around £100-120? Want something that will get me a stable overclock but also has about 6 sata connections. Not concerned by size.

Will be pairing with a 1600 & rx580

Associate
I got this R5 1600 for £135 last week

Running 3.95 Ghz with 1.32v on the stock cooler.

I tried 4 Ghz but seemed to cause problems, although being a noob i've only tweaked the multiplier and voltage.

Pretty nice upgrade from 2500k all in all!

Associate
I got this R5 1600 for £135 last week

Running 3.95 Ghz with 1.32v on the stock cooler.

I tried 4 Ghz but seemed to cause problems, although being a noob i've only tweaked the multiplier and voltage.

Pretty nice upgrade from 2500k all in all!

Out of interest, which motherboard did you plump for?

Associate
Out of interest, which motherboard did you plump for?

The ASUS Prime B350-Plus which is on the cheaper end I think and can't fault it.

I actually did this upgrade involuntarily as my previous motherboard with the i5 2500k 'blew up'. I'd thought the 2500k was fine but there is actually a massive difference in gaming with the 1600. A much smoother experience overall at 1440p all settings ultra on a GTX1070. The 2500k was really bottlenecking so i'd say it's a worthwhile upgrade incase anyone is in a similar situation.

By the way buying an qualifying ASUS Mobo & Ryzen CPU from participating UK dealers has a 2 free game offer. I'm still waiting for the code but I think some of the games available are Destiny 2, AC:Origins, COD:WW2. Pretty good deal overall

Soldato
I got 3.8GHz with 1.3v inside a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3. Could probably push to 3.9 with more voltage but I'm happy as it is. The stock cooler is great as its cool and quite even with the overclock.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Bit of an odd issue and bit of a long read...

I had a Ryzen 3 1200 running at 3.5ghz with RAM at 3066mhz and no problems.

I've now got a 1600 and thought I'd give overclocking a go. Without changing any other settings I changed the clock to 36. Booted into windows and used hwinfo to confirm I was running @ 3.6ghz and ram at 3066mhz. No problems so far.

Loaded up OCCT, started a test and within a couple of minutes I got a BSOD and a reboot. Temps were around 50c.

Lowered to 3.5ghz and tried running Aida64. Six seconds in and another BSOD. Pc rebooted into Windows and got a BSOD after logging in. Another reboot, this time at 3.4ghz, and got another BSOD but before I could log in (so a couple of seconds after loading). Message with BSOD was slightly different this time - "pool corruption in file area".

Loaded optimised defaults in the bios and put RAM back to 3066 but no matter what I was still getting a BSOD at windows start. Playing around with voltages didn't help.

By this point I was thinking there was a problem with the CPU, but to test that out I put RAM back to 2133 and CPU to 3.7ghz. Surprisingly, Windows loaded without any issues and I even managed to run Aida64 for an hour (idle temp is about 38-40 and under stress it reached 73).

Where am I going wrong? The CPU seems to be fine, and I know the RAM runs at 3066 but it seems to be causing an issue with the CPU...

Associate
@muon You got really lucky with those chips, non X chips are low leakage silicon so they will need higher voltage to reach similar frequencies the X chips do. But of course it's still all down to the silicon lottery in the end.

From what I've seen on overclocking lists, most chips should do 3.6Ghz on <1.2v or 3.8Ghz on <1.35v. My R7 1700 needs 1.175v (min 1.12v w/ Linpack) for 3.6Ghz and 1.325v (min 1.25v w/ Linpack) for 3.8Ghz (LLC Auto for both so lots of vdroop). I could do lower voltages, but they fail Prime95 after about 2-3 hours with rounding errors.
I wish review sites and people in general started mentioning what LLC levels they used for overclocks, because the highest LLC level on some boards introduces a ton of voltage overshoot, or at least what kind of minimum voltage they need to be Linpack stable.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Put it back to 2933. Unless the memory is Samsung B Die it won't play well with the 1600 IMC.

Thanks, that's a shame. I thought the faster CPU might be better for running ram at higher speeds. I'll take it down as you suggest and see how I get on, can't be much difference between 2933 and 3066...

Edit - seems to be working fine at 2933...

Last edited:
Soldato
Running 1600 @ 3.8ghz with voltage at 1.25 all set to Auto.

My Teamgroup Nighthawk RGB memory is running at 3200 XMP profile with a slight bump to 1.4V.

Happy keeping everything simple and for the minimal gains I will actually get it won't be worth my time.

Associate
Been tweaking my new Ryzen build this evening. So far I've managed to get 3.8GHz at 1.34v on my Asus ROG Strix B350 board. Have got my Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack" 16GB memory kit running at 3200MHz at 1.35v using CAS timings 14-14-14-31. Think there's room for more tweaking with the memory, I'm surprised it's running at these settings after reading about all the memory issues Ryzen has. Will be interesting to see if I can squeeze any more out of it.

Have run Cinebench R15 and got a score of 1281 and successfully ran Prime95 for 1 hour without any failures so I'm happy with that so far. I'm using the standard AMD Wraith Spire cooler at the moment and the CPU temp peaked at 79 degrees with Arctic MX-4 thermal paste on. I feel there's room for 3.9-4GHz with a better cooler but I quite like how my build looks with the smaller cooler on...

Soldato
Have the one I nabbed for £136 last week running at 3.95GHz/1.4V along with 3200MHz/14-14-14-34/1.36V RAM (with some tweaked subtimings). The chip is perfectly stable at 3.975GHz too with the same voltage once into Windows, but takes several attempts to boot. At 4GHz it won't post at all though, even at 1.425V. I think the RAM could do better, but there seems to be a bug with the MSI X370 Gaming Pro board I'm using that results in the CPU locking to a lower clock if I lower any RAM timings too far. Windows still detects the proper overclock and it's still set in the BIOS, but CPU-Z confirms the lower real clock and there are error messages in the Windows logs about CPU clock speed being limited by firmware. Most annoying, since other people can do better even on B350 boards from other manufacturers.

MSI AM4 boards seem like junk in general. They don't even have voltage offset control or pstate overclocking, and they've said they have no plans to implement them either despite all the complaints on their forums about it.

Soldato
Have the one I nabbed for £136 last week running at 3.95GHz/1.4V along with 3200MHz/14-14-14-34/1.36V RAM (with some tweaked subtimings). The chip is perfectly stable at 3.975GHz too with the same voltage once into Windows, but takes several attempts to boot. At 4GHz it won't post at all though, even at 1.425V. I think the RAM could do better, but there seems to be a bug with the MSI X370 Gaming Pro board I'm using that results in the CPU locking to a lower clock if I lower any RAM timings too far. Windows still detects the proper overclock and it's still set in the BIOS, but CPU-Z confirms the lower real clock and there are error messages in the Windows logs about CPU clock speed being limited by firmware. Most annoying, since other people can do better even on B350 boards from other manufacturers.

MSI AM4 boards seem like junk in general. They don't even have voltage offset control or pstate overclocking, and they've said they have no plans to implement them either despite all the complaints on their forums about it.

The several attempts to boot or likely down do it failing ram training. Had the same issue on the crosshair. It's either put up with it or lower than ram/slacken the timings.

Associate
Think i might have lucked out with my Ryzen 1600 so far, I am on a budget build with a b350 Matx gigabyte board (Using my old Corsair H100i Cooler) and my CPU is sitting @4ghz @ 1.32 Volts albeit i have only completed 4-5 hours on Prime95 so far. I have a sneaking suspicion i could probally drop the voltage also as prior to 4ghz i had booted and ran Prime95 for several hours @3.9ghz @1.2 (Stock?) Volts. I was kind of expecting to do more tweaking with this CPU as the last time i did this was many many years ago on my 2600k which was a battle to get 4.4ghz stable.

Back
Top Bottom