Shell to re-launch V-Power imminently

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I never understand why people don't just brim their tanks in their own cars either. It seems silly only putting £20 in at a time (if it's empty, and you're not just topping it up for a long journey as mentioned above!) since you're only going to be visiting petrol stations more often

Full fuel tank versus 10l in it is worth 1.7s a lap around Anglesey ;) It's 4.5% of the total weight of the car.

Man of Honour
When I was tuning my Westfield, I got 12 bhp more on Tesco 99 Ron vs regular unleaded. If I ever have to fill up with regular unleaded, I can switch to a more conservative map on my phone.

I don't even have to bother pulling my phone me phone out, I've got a switch on the dash and dual fuel/spark tables to switch between a ignition + VE maps for 95RON or Vpower + Methanol

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I don't even have to bother pulling my phone me phone out, I've got a switch on the dash and dual fuel/spark tables to switch between a ignition + VE maps for 95RON or Vpower + Methanol

I've run out of inputs/outputs due to implementing traction control and nitrous staging.

Soldato
Most people forgot that 9/10 cars that do use E85 are either flex fuel compatible from the factory or are using aftermarket ECUs with flex sensors meaning the economy drawback is largely bogus too.

£100 sensor, an hours wiring/plumbing and a couple of hours tuning and my MX5 would be fully flex fuel capable

You can full up with regular unleaded for a long journey, then switch back to E85 when you're done with no fuss or hassle (You also only need about 35% ethanol IIRC for all of the performance benefits)

You would need to do a lot more than that afaik. High levels of ethanol eats seals and fuel systems in cars that aren't made for it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I suppose if energy density is the only concern but it seems a bit blinkered to brand a fuel inferior in general because one feature isn't as good.

I wasn't branding it inferior, but i am certainly branding it as having a lower energy density which would be considered inferior to most people and for the majority of applications. Even my 500hp engine would simply chew more of it with no gain, as it isn't mapped for it :)

Man of Honour
You would need to do a lot more than that afaik. High levels of ethanol eats seals and fuel systems in cars that aren't made for it.

Only thing in my fuel system not currently compatible is the fuel pump and possibly the rubber portions of fuel hose, but the Americans do fine running them on E85 on stock fuel lines

Soldato
I'd love if E85 made its way here. I'm sure it was available a few years ago mind?

Digital pump might annoy me if it's not easy to get to a rounded figure. I only tend to put the fuel in the Subaru for what I intend to use that week rather than letting it sit for however long with a full tank (3 weeks sometimes).

Man of Honour
Does no one ever use the buttons on the pump housing display that allow you to set the exact amount of fuel you want if you're that bothered about hitting a specific figure?

Man of Honour
They've updated the login system to be "simpler" now, and you're prompted to create a new account, then link your old account.

Only issue is that you can't, not until Monday I've been told. Who in their right mind makes a new system go live when it doesn't even work yet? So no fill-up and go usage until Monday :rolleyes:

Good work, Shell.

Soldato
Have stopped using V-Power now that the nearby costco has got a petrol station, 99RON for the same price as regular unleaded from shell, if you have a one nearby I'd recommend getting membership.

Soldato
OP
They've updated the login system to be "simpler" now, and you're prompted to create a new account, then link your old account.

Only issue is that you can't, not until Monday I've been told. Who in their right mind makes a new system go live when it doesn't even work yet? So no fill-up and go usage until Monday :rolleyes:

Good work, Shell.

Well that was... intelligent. :/

Have stopped using V-Power now that the nearby costco has got a petrol station, 99RON for the same price as regular unleaded from shell, if you have a one nearby I'd recommend getting membership.

All three (and others, including Gulf Endurance 99 and Essar 99) are actually made by Essar at Stanlow, so the base fuel is the same. Only the additive package differs, though Shell would have you believe - and tbh they're probably correct - that theirs is far superior. Is it really worth 10ppl or more extra though? I tend to alternate between them depending on convenience, and tbh in my particular car and in my particular location I tend to find Tesco M99 gives the most top end. V-Power does tend to feel more free and grunty low down (that'll be the 'friction modifier' then), but there's really not much in it for the money. M99 and a shot of redex goes like rocket fuel, I found out by accident recently. I'd always put Redex in the snake oil box, but having looked it up (MSDS etc) it actually contains a fair amount of aromatics - something M99 lacks. It's still four quid a tank cheaper than V-Power and goes like stink. :D

Back
Top Bottom