Shogun

Soldato
Did lady ochabi poison the old woman with that paper? Heck was her food laced for her to go into a stroke? And now she's going ahead in marriage. I mean surely she realises oshida will discard her asap.

And that boy was so useless but his death didn't present a window.

So the guy who did senpakku, was he and toganara the only ones in the know they will attack Osaka?

Soldato
Yeap, he knew what the stakes were, he knew what had to be done for the act to be convincing to others, and yet he didn't hesitate, with both people knowing it had to be done, no matter the personal cost to each but unable to change anything without risking failure. Then you add in Mariko's tea scene and once again the subtle acting continually on show, with little eye movements, flinches, facial ticks etc demonstrating the immense emotional control they're showing, until it slips, was just superb!
Just watched episode 8. Just a brilliant show really.

Soldato
I think this show is decent enough and I'm enjoying it with the insight into the Japanese history and culture. My only observation would be that it's very similar to the 1980's series and whilst my memory of that is vague I do have the constant feeling of deja vu. 40 years of film innovation should maybe have brought something more when the screenplay is essentially the same. For those that watched the original or read the book - what's you view?

Soldato
Luckily it's been so long I don't remember much from the original series, and tbh there are only so many ways you can tell the same story.
This one very much stands on its own merits IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh wow, awesome!

I only guessed the the ending after Ishido's appearance near the end, it was the only plan that made sense after Ochiba No Kata's counsel to him earlier, great writing there!

Commissario
My only observation would be that it's very similar to the 1980's series and whilst my memory of that is vague I do have the constant feeling of deja vu. 40 years of film innovation should maybe have brought something more when the screenplay is essentially the same. For those that watched the original or read the book - what's you view?
I've said it in this thread already that I've seen the original mini series and read the book multiple times.

It's a superb story and this is a great interpretation. I'm very pleased that they've not strayed far from the source material. I wouldn't want it to be different, it doesn't need a different interpretation.

A couple of phrases from the end of the book has always stuck in my mind and I hope they use them.

Are you really sure? If so, click the blurred text

Toranaga never lets John Blackthorne leave Japan

Ishido lingered three days and died very old.

And in case anyone was in doubt, I posted this after the first episode...
Kasigi Yabu is a git.

Back
Top Bottom